The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 27, 2020, 02:18:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 27, 2020, 02:18:24 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Children and Your Altar.  (Read 12283 times)
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm
United States United States

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #15: September 02, 2010, 05:26:32 pm »

Gah, marry me.  Grin

But that's not legal in this state ;_;

Hmm, now I'm thinking of Pagan-related toys for tots...

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #16: September 02, 2010, 05:32:14 pm »

But that's not legal in this state ;_;

Hmm, now I'm thinking of Pagan-related toys for tots...

They should have pagan-related toys for tots.

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #17: September 02, 2010, 05:34:30 pm »

I'm writing an ABC book of rhymes about different deities for young (pre-school, maybe?) kidlets, does that count?

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Satsekhem
High Adept Member

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #18: September 02, 2010, 06:04:53 pm »

I'm writing an ABC book of rhymes about different deities for young (pre-school, maybe?) kidlets, does that count?

That sounds good.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
Vermillion
Journeyman
Last Login:December 29, 2013, 04:32:42 pm

Religion: Witchcraft Practitioner- Naturist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: September 02, 2010, 08:21:43 pm »

I'm sure she thought she was helping.

However, at the same time... even if it wasn't an altar... -removing- things from someone else's house, even someone you've popped out of your lady bits a long time ago, is just not cool.

LOL popped out of your lady bits. LOVE IT. I'm so using that. Seriously, though, I practice green witchcraft and the conversation that revolved around the rearrangement of my altar was quite humorous in retrospect.

"That table you have in the living room is the ugliest thing I've ever seen. You have no sense of home interiors. Did you know you had a big plate of rocks on that thing? I threw them out the yard, they don't belong in the house. You should tell the boys not to bring rocks in the house(my kids are 19, 16 and 13, they've long since stopped that lol). And what's with the bowl of dirt?! You know, that marble looking petri dish? What's the dirt from? It looked like ASHES, are you burning things in petri dishes in the house?! And the fillet knife needs to be kept in the kitchen drawer, what the hell is wrong with you?!"

I snicker about it, now. And I told my husband(who is Baptist lol) that I needed a new brown petri dish(soapstone incense holder).
NibbleKat
Adept Member
Last Login:October 22, 2012, 03:45:56 pm

Religion: Hard polytheist dedicated to Hermes, Sequana, and Sirona

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: September 03, 2010, 11:59:38 am »

LOL popped out of your lady bits. LOVE IT. I'm so using that. Seriously, though, I practice green witchcraft and the conversation that revolved around the rearrangement of my altar was quite humorous in retrospect.

"That table you have in the living room is the ugliest thing I've ever seen. You have no sense of home interiors. Did you know you had a big plate of rocks on that thing? I threw them out the yard, they don't belong in the house. You should tell the boys not to bring rocks in the house(my kids are 19, 16 and 13, they've long since stopped that lol). And what's with the bowl of dirt?! You know, that marble looking petri dish? What's the dirt from? It looked like ASHES, are you burning things in petri dishes in the house?! And the fillet knife needs to be kept in the kitchen drawer, what the hell is wrong with you?!"

I snicker about it, now. And I told my husband(who is Baptist lol) that I needed a new brown petri dish(soapstone incense holder).

*just reels at that conversation* Good lawd. Fillet knife.

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Available for devotional and altar art commissions at http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
Satsekhem
High Adept Member

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #21: September 04, 2010, 08:24:47 am »

I think I would have committed murder.

GarlicandMint
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 18, 2013, 09:53:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Solitary

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: September 10, 2010, 11:15:40 am »

That was totally NSFW- I sprayed water all over my keyboard! Wink

I don't have kids, or parents, around, nor a permanent altar yet, but I know my cat would play with anything I put there, oy.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #23: September 10, 2010, 11:31:58 am »

That was totally NSFW- I sprayed water all over my keyboard! Wink 

Well, not really--NSFW tends to involve a lot more bare body parts and/or profanity.  But it was pretty amusing in a trainwrecky sort of way.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 16, 2020, 07:39:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: September 10, 2010, 11:29:08 pm »

Well, not really--NSFW tends to involve a lot more bare body parts and/or profanity.  But it was pretty amusing in a trainwrecky sort of way.
I've always liked the way that quite a few Cauldronites use it to refer to anything that might be problematic to read at work (including stuff that causes coworkers to ask what you're laughing so loudly about).  IMO, if it's not about workplace considerations, it's just another euphemism for something that's already got plenty of euphemisms (and in fact is frequently a euphemism for the euphemism "adult content" Roll Eyes).

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Susan M.
Apprentice
Last Login:September 20, 2010, 04:55:43 pm

Religion: Life itself

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #25: September 11, 2010, 03:02:41 pm »

We've all heard the pet-related horror stories when it comes to your altar. However, what are the horror stories with small children? And how did you enforce the "sacred space-don't touch" rule on your altar?

Story Yesterday, I got my two and a half year old drinking my water libation before dumping it all over my sacred box, I mean altar, the table it is on and my pillow. There was quite the argument later. Don't get me wrong: I love the fact that he wants to help me wake the goddess ("Mommy, time to wake in peace now?" He says.) with me, but I would prefer it if he didn't try to scatter the libations without Mommy's permission.

Advice I've got none. I have no idea. Actually, I take that back. I just saw a wall-mounted cabinet at Wal-mart for a decent price. If I put it up high enough, the baby will not reach it!

Others have posted the same, but I think you would be better off making your little one their own alter.  If possible, putting it close (maybe not next to) yours.  Or perhaps some type of cabinet that stands higher and you can make your little one's alter below yours.  Being a mom of 5 myself, I can tell you that it will get a little better.  But no matter the age, the children will probably like your stuff a lot better than your own. 
But they will at least have more respect for it.  I taught mine by giving them a little swat on the hand (if they were touching something they shouldn't), not hard enough to even leave any type of mark or anything, just enough to get there attention.  And told them no and removed them from the area.  But I was consistent.  Each time they went to it and touched and I did the same thing.  Eventually they get the idea. 
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #26: September 11, 2010, 06:47:50 pm »

I know that some people have made goddess dolls, but I've never seen toy ritual tools.  I would think a really basic Wiccan based set might actually sell pretty well.  You could model it on the Shabbat toys they make for Jewish kids:

http://www.babyant.com/bt034257.html

Sperran
Satsekhem
High Adept Member

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #27: September 11, 2010, 11:35:47 pm »

I know that some people have made goddess dolls, but I've never seen toy ritual tools.  I would think a really basic Wiccan based set might actually sell pretty well.  You could model it on the Shabbat toys they make for Jewish kids:

Sperran

That would be interesting...

ScorpioMoon
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:November 10, 2010, 03:01:29 pm

Religion: Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: October 15, 2010, 10:00:55 am »

Sperran

Except for the printed carry bag, that set would work fine for a child's Wiccan altar. There are candles for the Lord and the Lady, a chalice and an athame, cakes or bread and an offering plate. Other than wanting the candlesticks to be gold and silver and the handle on the knife to be black - and perhaps adding a pentacle - it would work fine.

I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult.
~ Rita Rudner ~
knitsy
Journeyman
Last Login:January 12, 2012, 09:51:08 am

Religion: I am Me.

Stonky Bonk.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: October 15, 2010, 10:30:57 am »

We've all heard the pet-related horror stories when it comes to your altar. However, what are the horror stories with small children? And how did you enforce the "sacred space-don't touch" rule on your altar?

Story Yesterday, I got my two and a half year old drinking my water libation before dumping it all over my sacred box, I mean altar, the table it is on and my pillow. There was quite the argument later. Don't get me wrong: I love the fact that he wants to help me wake the goddess ("Mommy, time to wake in peace now?" He says.) with me, but I would prefer it if he didn't try to scatter the libations without Mommy's permission.

Advice I've got none. I have no idea. Actually, I take that back. I just saw a wall-mounted cabinet at Wal-mart for a decent price. If I put it up high enough, the baby will not reach it!

Unless you count my three cats, I have no children. We do however invite my roommate's ten year old sister to come spend the night sometimes, and often she'll bring a friend with her to play with. That friend of hers, despite being ten, has never learned from her parents that touching someone else's things is a big no-no. She came right into my house, pointed at my roommate's and my altars, and practically yelled, HEY THEY HAVE SWORDS WHY DO YOU HAVE SWORDS OH MY GAWD. And proceeds to grab at them and play.

I have little patience for kids. That's why I have cats. I nearly took that girl's head off. "Hey, hey, hey! Is that yours?" "No." "Then put it down." "Why do you have it?" "To carve kids for dinner." "Whatever."

...Maude?

[Warning: Fool]

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)