The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 11, 2020, 04:33:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 11, 2020, 04:33:41 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Children and Your Altar.  (Read 12632 times)
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am
United States United States

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #44: October 19, 2010, 08:39:57 am »

Just as an example of the 'one size does not fit all' thing, I grew up with no fear whatsoever and still toed the line.

My parents were free spirits who sold the motorcycle when they started having kids (they debated just getting a sidecar but decided they would probably have more than one eventually).  They never raised their hands and seldom their voices.  They raised four kids and fourteen foster-kids whose biggest parent-related fears were of disappointing them.

We did not act up in stores because getting to go in the first place was such a rare treat we didn't want to get left home next time.  We said Mr. and Mrs. because only peers used first names.  We argued with courtesy because if we didn't our points would not be heard.  We were allowed to argue as soon as we could do it properly - until then we listened.  (my family are extremely wordy and opinionated)

Once only, when my brother had done something truly egregious, my father offered him the choice between being grounded or getting a spanking.  My brother chose the spanking and my poor father had to go through with it.  He was not a wimp - he was a trained commando and had served on a submarine chaser, and he was a bouncer when my mom met him.  Both of them could take care of themselves and had, but the idea of hitting one of their children made them physically ill.

A lot of people saw our family as some kind of hippy commune but we had the right combination of natures for it to work.  It was sheer luck - stricter discipline would not have improved us (and, being kids, we were monsters in our own ways) and laxer would not have ruined us.  Seeing us lined up in the grocery store getting to choose one kind of cereal each (a huge treat), the cashiers probably approved of the seeming strictness, and seeing the occasional public meltdown would have had them dismissing us as poorly parented.  Neither is an accurate picture - just a frozen snapshot from one perspective, and not enough to form a valid judgment from.

Absent

Your parents sound pretty damn awesome.

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)