The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 03, 2020, 04:16:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 03, 2020, 04:16:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Psychology Book Recommendations?  (Read 4943 times)
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Topic Start: September 02, 2010, 12:09:42 pm »

I'm looking for some book recommendations on general, abnormal, and child/developmental psychology; I think I would prefer textbooks, but there are just so many out there I'm not sure where to start. Thanks!

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Chabas
Reserve Staff
Staff
Master Member
Last Login:August 15, 2014, 02:06:27 pm
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (1)

« Reply #1: September 04, 2010, 05:25:07 am »

I'm looking for some book recommendations on general, abnormal, and child/developmental psychology; I think I would prefer textbooks, but there are just so many out there I'm not sure where to start. Thanks!

Juni,

I've got text books around here for all of those, but too drowned in work and such right now to look them up immediately. If I don't post them for you in the next week or so, give me a poke.

--Chabas
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #2: September 04, 2010, 04:58:09 pm »

Off the top of my head, I would recommend the Nairne general text:

http://www.amazon.com/Psychology-James-S-Nairne/dp/0495504556/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1283633698&sr=1-1

My friends that teach developmental psych tend to use the Kail text:

http://www.amazon.com/Children-Their-Development-Robert-Kail/dp/0205654150/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1283633823&sr=1-1

They say it is a little picture heavy, but the underlying research is pretty decent.
Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #3: September 04, 2010, 04:59:51 pm »

Juni,

I've got text books around here for all of those, but too drowned in work and such right now to look them up immediately. If I don't post them for you in the next week or so, give me a poke.

--Chabas

Thanks, Chabas!

Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #4: September 04, 2010, 05:00:08 pm »

Off the top of my head, I would recommend the Nairne general text:

http://www.amazon.com/Psychology-James-S-Nairne/dp/0495504556/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1283633698&sr=1-1

My friends that teach developmental psych tend to use the Kail text:

http://www.amazon.com/Children-Their-Development-Robert-Kail/dp/0205654150/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1283633823&sr=1-1

They say it is a little picture heavy, but the underlying research is pretty decent.

Thanks Sperran, I'll take a look at these. Smiley

catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:July 10, 2020, 02:41:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: September 04, 2010, 06:11:04 pm »

Sperran and Chabas are better sources then I am, but I just wanted to say, stay away from anything with "evolution" in it. "Evolutionary psychology" is a worthless pseudoscience devoted to proving that Victorian gender roles -- not that any evpsychos would recognize them as specifically Victorian, because they don't understand history -- are OMG HARDWIRED INTO OUR CAVEMAN BRAINS.  It gets a lot of play in the popular press, but real psychologists, real evolutionary biologists, real historians of gender and sexuality, and real folklorists (the evpsychos have tried getting their grubby hands on our stuff) LAUGH at them.     
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #6: September 04, 2010, 07:23:04 pm »

Sperran and Chabas are better sources then I am, but I just wanted to say, stay away from anything with "evolution" in it. "Evolutionary psychology" is a worthless pseudoscience devoted to proving that Victorian gender roles -- not that any evpsychos would recognize them as specifically Victorian, because they don't understand history -- are OMG HARDWIRED INTO OUR CAVEMAN BRAINS.  It gets a lot of play in the popular press, but real psychologists, real evolutionary biologists, real historians of gender and sexuality, and real folklorists (the evpsychos have tried getting their grubby hands on our stuff) LAUGH at them.     

The sad thing about evolutionary psych is that there is nothing about the science that makes it need to be that way.  The problem lies in the first people that got into the field and the students that followed them.  Some of the research is reasonable (e.g. the waist-hip ratio stuff).  But unfortunately the idiocy of people like David Media-Whore Buss overshadows the reasonable research.

Sperran
Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #7: September 26, 2010, 01:08:27 pm »

Juni,

--Chabas

Poke! Smiley Don't worry if you're still busy, I just remembered this thread myself. Cheesy

Chabas
Reserve Staff
Staff
Master Member
Last Login:August 15, 2014, 02:06:27 pm
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (1)

« Reply #8: September 26, 2010, 02:56:49 pm »

Poke! Smiley Don't worry if you're still busy, I just remembered this thread myself. Cheesy

I'm doing 46 hour work weeks atm, so still far too busy, but I've got an entirely free weekend, so that helps. Smiley

The below are all books I've used during my studies. I graduated in 2006, so the editions I have are somewhat outdated by now, and I've not seen the current editions, but they're all books I happily recommend because I enjoyed working with them as a student myself.

General psychology:
Gray, P. - Psychology from Worth publishers.
The edition I have is from 2001. I love this book, and it's still my go-to for quick look-ups of all kinds of stuff. Gray has a really easy-going and clear writing style that's very accessible.

Abnormal psychology:
I have my master's in clinical psych, so I actually have a big-ass psychiatry handbook lying around for the really detailed stuff, but the one I'd recommend here as an intro is Barlow and Durand's Abnormal Psychology. It's a good solid introduction into not only the strict psychology and disorders, but surrounding issues as well - it has a chapter about the ethical and legal issues surrounding mental health, for example. Clear case studies, good explanations, and recommended reading for most disorders.
If you're looking for a broader look into the field, I heartily recommend "Taking Sides: Abnormal Psychology" as well, because it's just such a fun read. The Taking Sides series takes a field, rounds up the major controversies, and sheds light on both sides of the issues. Definitely my favorite book from my entire studies, and the one I spent the most time reading for pure enjoyment.

Developmental psych:
Laura E. Berk - Child Development
If I'd studied in the major/minor system, this would have been my minor - I took classes in the field whenever I could. Oddly enough, I can't really remember working with the book, but looking through it right now the structure's clear, as are the explanations. Also, it's really colorful Smiley

--Chabas

Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #9: September 26, 2010, 03:11:58 pm »

I'm doing 46 hour work weeks atm, so still far too busy, but I've got an entirely free weekend, so that helps. Smiley

Thanks so much, Chabas!

darkwhispersdale
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 10, 2013, 03:41:49 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: March 06, 2011, 05:33:50 pm »

Nothing textbook but I've found Oliver Sacks useful for abnormal psychology and they are easier to read The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat is probably the best one.

For what purpose humanity is there should not even concern us: why you are there, that you should ask yourself: and if you have no ready answer, then set for yourself goals, high and noble goals, and perish in pursuit of them! I know of no better life purpose than to perish in attempting the great and the impossible...

- Nietzsche, unpublished note from 1873

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)