The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 15, 2019, 10:52:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 15, 2019, 10:52:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Singing Charms  (Read 7340 times)
TisiphoneSeraph
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:27:49 pm
United States United States

Religion: Hedgewitch
TCN ID: TisiphoneSeraph

Dreams speak the truth we dare not seek

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: September 04, 2010, 10:57:10 am »

So normally I'm not a big fan of taking inspiration for my practices from fiction, but I was listening to the Redwall series the other day and there was a part where a character covers up talking to a couple of prisoners by saying he was singing charms.

While the character wasn't serious about it, the idea has kind of stuck in my head and I wondered if anyone here used songs in their magic, specifically in their low magic like home wards and protection and good fortune type spells. The idea really intrigues me. Does anyone know if singing charms were used historically and where?

Even though I'm not much of a song writer, I really want to try this. I've been very interested in Hedge and Kitchen Witchery lately and I feel like this would be a sort of magic that would fall somewhere in that category of magic.

If you have any and wouldn't mind sharing I would really appreciate it.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: September 04, 2010, 11:09:44 am »

If I'm not mistaken the word 'charm' came from some Latin word to do with singing.

Oh yes: Etymology for Charm

I can carry a tune fairly well, but the most I've done is to have a handful of pop love songs associated with particular people, and to focus hard on them when singing. Much like everyone else, I imagine.

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
TisiphoneSeraph
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: September 04, 2010, 12:17:34 pm »

If I'm not mistaken the word 'charm' came from some Latin word to do with singing.

Oh yes: Etymology for Charm

I can carry a tune fairly well, but the most I've done is to have a handful of pop love songs associated with particular people, and to focus hard on them when singing. Much like everyone else, I imagine.

Thanks for the link. I never knew the two were connected.

I suppose that's an idea too. Taking existing songs and crafting an intent.
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 13, 2019, 02:34:46 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: September 04, 2010, 02:02:58 pm »

While the character wasn't serious about it, the idea has kind of stuck in my head and I wondered if anyone here used songs in their magic, specifically in their low magic like home wards and protection and good fortune type spells. The idea really intrigues me.

I use them regularly: the exploration of the intersection of music and magic/ritual was also a core part of why I wanted to hive and form my coven. Most of it is music I've created, but I've also played with adapting other music - mostly traditional tunes with new lyrics - for specific needs.

One thing you might want to explore is that historically, a number of professions had songs that went with them to help keep pace in the activity. We're most familiar with marching songs, these days, probably, but a lot of the traditional sea chanties and related music also were designed to keep everyone working in sync on a particular task. (And I've seen examples for other things: weaving, for example.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #4: September 04, 2010, 02:13:41 pm »

So normally I'm not a big fan of taking inspiration for my practices from fiction, but I was listening to the Redwall series the other day and there was a part where a character covers up talking to a couple of prisoners by saying he was singing charms.

While the character wasn't serious about it, the idea has kind of stuck in my head and I wondered if anyone here used songs in their magic, specifically in their low magic like home wards and protection and good fortune type spells. The idea really intrigues me. Does anyone know if singing charms were used historically and where?

Even though I'm not much of a song writer, I really want to try this. I've been very interested in Hedge and Kitchen Witchery lately and I feel like this would be a sort of magic that would fall somewhere in that category of magic.

You may also be interested in galdr which is a form of Germanic magic to do with singing/saying charms (which can include the runes, but does not have to). 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
TisiphoneSeraph
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: September 04, 2010, 02:44:39 pm »

One thing you might want to explore is that historically, a number of professions had songs that went with them to help keep pace in the activity. We're most familiar with marching songs, these days, probably, but a lot of the traditional sea chanties and related music also were designed to keep everyone working in sync on a particular task. (And I've seen examples for other things: weaving, for example.)

That's an idea I hadn't thought of. Thanks.

I vaguely remember my favorite Scotts Gaelic singer talking about laundry songs and weaving songs but I hadn't thought about how they could be charms themselves.
TisiphoneSeraph
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: September 04, 2010, 02:48:04 pm »

You may also be interested in galdr which is a form of Germanic magic to do with singing/saying charms (which can include the runes, but does not have to). 

I did a quick google search on them and they do seem similar to what I was thinking of. Do you have any preferred resources regarding them?
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 13, 2019, 02:34:46 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #7: September 04, 2010, 04:41:08 pm »

I vaguely remember my favorite Scotts Gaelic singer talking about laundry songs and weaving songs but I hadn't thought about how they could be charms themselves.

It's one of those interesting questions - would the people singing them have considered them spells or charms? Depends, I suspect, on the people - but there's certainly stuff out there about boats coming safely home, or other protection+wellbeing sorts of stuff. Definitely an interesting model for designing your own.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
erinnightwalker
Master Member
Last Login:October 04, 2012, 12:59:41 am

Religion: Celtic Paganism

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #8: September 04, 2010, 06:37:40 pm »

Its not quite singing, but I used to play my pennywhistle to do some things. I haven't in a while due to shared house and the fact my boyfriend sat on my favorite one -.-;;

New at the Nightwalking Hedgehog- Updates and General Shit with revealing new photo.

I dance upon the edge of shadow
flickering through the night.
An ember smouldering in my heart
is my only guide, my light.

Come buy my ceramics and help support The Cauldron! Click Here
Ana
Journeyman
Last Login:August 30, 2011, 06:53:09 am

Religion: Flamekeeper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: September 04, 2010, 08:28:59 pm »

I'm actually a singer.  There is a power that certain notes and chords have, especially in a group of trained singers.  The harmonies are tangible.  They stir the air as much as they stir the energy.  I've been with groups of trained and talented singers to produce this effect, but never with them actually attempting to do such.  Basically- they were warming up exercises and training exercises for holding pitch in close harmonies and dissonances.  I am a firm believer that -if- people who knew what they were doing to raise power along with music, they could probably accomplish quite a bit.  I have yet to test it out other than just with professional or simply talented singers that didn't know about energies and power... though I would love to.  Until then, it's just a strong hunch.

Ana

SatAset
Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #10: September 04, 2010, 09:18:49 pm »

I did a quick google search on them and they do seem similar to what I was thinking of. Do you have any preferred resources regarding them?

One of the only references I've found on them is Swain Wodening's Germanic Magic: A Primer to Galdor, Runes, Spa and Herbs. 

Books on the runes may have a galdr section, but those would have to do with using the runes in that manner. 

There is another book the Galdrabok, but it is expensive on Amazon and I don't know how accurate it is.   

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
TisiphoneSeraph
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: September 05, 2010, 05:16:27 pm »

One of the only references I've found on them is Swain Wodening's Germanic Magic: A Primer to Galdor, Runes, Spa and Herbs. 

Books on the runes may have a galdr section, but those would have to do with using the runes in that manner. 

There is another book the Galdrabok, but it is expensive on Amazon and I don't know how accurate it is.   

Thanks for the suggestions.
Nimue
Master Member
Last Login:May 09, 2011, 10:31:43 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: September 06, 2010, 03:18:35 am »

I'm not a singer, but I am pretty proficient at the piano.  I have done magic with it before by picking a song that fit what I wanted to accomplish, and then as I played I manipulated the energy it created much like I would the energy from a regular spell.  I have been able to make it work with playing a song on my cd player, but it is much more difficult to do.
SatAset
Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #13: September 06, 2010, 06:18:42 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions.

You're welcome. 

Galdrabok is on the list of recommended reading in the Asatru/Heathenry SIG so I'm guessing it's a pretty accurate book.

veggiewolf
Adept Member
Last Login:November 14, 2014, 01:04:25 pm

Religion: Hoer of Onions / FlameKeeper
TCN ID: veggiewolf

Stop it, or I'll bury you alive in a box.

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Reply #14: September 07, 2010, 02:27:59 pm »

I'm actually a singer.  There is a power that certain notes and chords have, especially in a group of trained singers.  The harmonies are tangible.  They stir the air as much as they stir the energy.  I've been with groups of trained and talented singers to produce this effect, but never with them actually attempting to do such.  Basically- they were warming up exercises and training exercises for holding pitch in close harmonies and dissonances.  I am a firm believer that -if- people who knew what they were doing to raise power along with music, they could probably accomplish quite a bit.  I have yet to test it out other than just with professional or simply talented singers that didn't know about energies and power... though I would love to.  Until then, it's just a strong hunch.

I'm also a singer, and I totally agree.  I'd love to find some like-minded (voiced) people to try it out.

Ask me about FlameKeeping!

"I can't take HIS money; I can't print MY OWN money.  Why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson
"My dream has been shattered into shards of a broken dream!" - Homer Simpson

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)