The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 08, 2020, 07:52:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 08, 2020, 07:52:57 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Singing Charms  (Read 7932 times)
Ana
Journeyman
Last Login:August 30, 2011, 06:53:09 am
United States United States

Religion: Flamekeeper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: September 08, 2010, 10:52:18 am »

I'm also a singer, and I totally agree.  I'd love to find some like-minded (voiced) people to try it out.

Cheesy  I'm in Florida Wink

Ana

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

veggiewolf
Adept Member
Last Login:November 14, 2014, 01:04:25 pm

Religion: Hoer of Onions / FlameKeeper
TCN ID: veggiewolf

Stop it, or I'll bury you alive in a box.

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Reply #16: September 08, 2010, 01:04:17 pm »

Cheesy  I'm in Florida Wink

PA here.   Grin

After reading this thread I got to thinking about the emotions evoked by music as a whole, with or without associated words.  For example, there are certain passages in Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture that send chills up my spine and make the hair on the back of my neck stand-up.  Likewise, Stravinsky's Rite of Spring makes it almost impossible for me to stay still when listening to it and its premiere actually caused one of the most famous classical music riots in history.  Now, imagine a piece of music written and played specifically to cause an intended reaction...reasoned peace talks between two nations, f'ex, or greater concentration for physicians during a difficult surgery.

I just got chills thinking about it.

Ask me about FlameKeeping!

"I can't take HIS money; I can't print MY OWN money.  Why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson
"My dream has been shattered into shards of a broken dream!" - Homer Simpson
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #17: September 08, 2010, 07:06:52 pm »

One of the only references I've found on them is Swain Wodening's Germanic Magic: A Primer to Galdor, Runes, Spa and Herbs. 

Books on the runes may have a galdr section, but those would have to do with using the runes in that manner. 

There is another book the Galdrabok, but it is expensive on Amazon and I don't know how accurate it is.   

Thanks, I'm adding this to my wish list, along with Swain's book. A girl can wish, can't she?  Wink

As a related question, sort of, perhaps the Irish fili worked with something like this a bit? It's not a far leap from speaking ecstatic poetry to singing, in my head.

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."
Tezcatlipoca
Senior Newbie
Last Login:August 14, 2011, 07:45:17 am

Religion: shaman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: September 09, 2010, 12:59:03 am »

So normally I'm not a big fan of taking inspiration for my practices from fiction, but I was listening to the Redwall series the other day and there was a part where a character covers up talking to a couple of prisoners by saying he was singing charms.

While the character wasn't serious about it, the idea has kind of stuck in my head and I wondered if anyone here used songs in their magic, specifically in their low magic like home wards and protection and good fortune type spells. The idea really intrigues me. Does anyone know if singing charms were used historically and where?

Even though I'm not much of a song writer, I really want to try this. I've been very interested in Hedge and Kitchen Witchery lately and I feel like this would be a sort of magic that would fall somewhere in that category of magic.

If you have any and wouldn't mind sharing I would really appreciate it.

Native american medicine men, and all kinds of shamans around the world, have used song as a tool for ritual work. Such chants dont neccesarily use words, but I suppoce they can. Even humming a tune with a speciffic intention in mind works; I do this very often.

I dont know if it could be called a chant, but there is a mexican rhyme used to clam down children and "cure" them when wounded:"Sana, sana, colita de rana. Si no sana hoy, sanara mañana." which translates to "heal, heal, tadpoles tail. If it doesnt heal today, it will heal tomorrow." Is kind of silly, but accompanied by my mother's voice, it made a difference while growing up.

No rest for the wicked...
...Because we party all night.
Derek
Master Member
Last Login:December 08, 2012, 04:12:38 pm

Religion: hellenic-ish polytheist

In the beginning, the Universe percieved itself.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: September 11, 2010, 09:43:37 pm »

... I wondered if anyone here used songs in their magic...

Sometimes, when a squalling child comes through the store, I will hum "music of the night" from Phantom of the Opera.

I sing in a community chorus, and I'll usually add some intent to bits of the songs.  Usually it's 'feel awe' during the masses.  I always wonder what would have happened if paganisms had survived.  What would Beethoven have written had his patron been a priest of the Danube; what would have Vivaldi written as a commission of the Temple of Venus?

One of my dreams is to save enough money to commission an Oratorio.  Something on the scale of a Grand Mass.

The purpose of Life is to experience. In order to experience new things, one has to change and grow. Therefore, to grow is integral to fulfilling the purpose of Life.
Conversly: Monotony is an experience.  Therefore, stagnation can be integral to fulfilling the purpose of Life.
Rhapsody032590
Last Login:September 03, 2011, 11:38:29 pm

Religion: Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: April 29, 2011, 06:03:28 pm »

Sometimes, when a squalling child comes through the store, I will hum "music of the night" from Phantom of the Opera.

I sing in a community chorus, and I'll usually add some intent to bits of the songs. 

I do the same thing, i was a singer all through high school and was in compitition choir. I add intent to music i know, and have occasionally just started singing with intent and let my emotions guide the lyrics. I also find that i start humming or singing Ah miss form Sweeny Todd when trying to catch some ones eye. Musical theater songs i find are best for working intent into since there ususaly more focused then like top 40 pop.
l6mmeleht
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 04, 2011, 09:13:52 am
Estonia Estonia

Religion: pagan mix

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: May 11, 2011, 09:40:31 am »

Does anyone know if singing charms were used historically and where?

Even though I'm not much of a song writer, I really want to try this. I've been very interested in Hedge and Kitchen Witchery lately and I feel like this would be a sort of magic that would fall somewhere in that category of magic.

If you have any and wouldn't mind sharing I would really appreciate it.

I would guess that in more archaic traditions there are songs that balance varies between traditional custom purpose and magical purpose. Our local Literature Museum gives out an online magazine that in their last number has article about Udmurt’s (I hope I got it right- I’m rough translating here from Estonian version) keen songs where the main function of the songs has survived, which is to balance the relationships between the dead and the living and create boundaries which they can not pass, also reweaving the broken social relations. In this article they are classifying such songs straight under magic. Those are often related to banishing customs, like in komi tradition (Finnish Ugric nation) and these are strictly folk magic. There are songs left in their collections that include chants to call out rain or provide protection to harvest, community, animals. In my opinion they can all be counted under spells that are sung out instead of being simple songs about life.

Here is the link for the Folklore English e-magazine if you are interested on finding out more. http://www.folklore.ee/folklore/vol47/

In today’s tradition I’d say if you sing to your child some nonsense song to ease their pain while rocking them, then it could be considered under spell too – simple, but often effective. We still give on through generations little songs that one can say in singing voice if child’s dummy hurts or they have hit their knee or head. They are often rhythmical; jumping between two or three notes and the museum collects them under incantations and charms – depending on their length.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, but today is a gift. That's why they call it the Present.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)