The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 31, 2020, 12:25:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 31, 2020, 12:25:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Contradiction  (Read 10558 times)
Vermillion
Journeyman
Last Login:December 29, 2013, 04:32:42 pm
United States United States

Religion: Witchcraft Practitioner- Naturist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #45: September 16, 2010, 12:16:48 am »

You know, I probably hold an unpopular opinion on this. But, here goes.

I'm a pantheist. That means that I believe that nature and the Gods are one and the same. I tend to revolve around nature based worship. However, I think it's arrogant to assume that deity would concern themselves with the nuisances of life on this planet as it is today. The mere fact that people feel guilty, I believe, is a leftover from whatever previous influence(religion or otherwise), that made them feel guilty or told them to feel that way simply for being born. I see no reason to subscribe to that line of thinking or guilt.

People have to live life with the means given to them. I live in the rural South. Rural means.....you drive. If you don't, you aren't going anywhere. I originally lived in a state that has 2 months of nice weather out of 12. You don't ride bikes to places in blizzards. You don't walk 14 miles to your job everyday. There is no public transit in rural areas. We don't have bus stops. Where I come from, you don't get out of your driveway, in 4 ft. of snow, on a moped or a bicycle. And if you don't have a 4 wheel drive, you're not leaving.

I, in no way, feel personally responsible for the destruction of the Earth simply because I have to drive to live. Sure, we all contribute, and I do my part to make sure that I don't do anything needlessly. I don't buy large vehicles every two years. I don't drive unless absolutely necessary. But, I can love the planet and revere it, and still be at it's mercy and have to rely on the means given to me to deal with that fact. I do not think I'm being contradictory, at all.

And, the notion that deity would hold us in disdain for this is just something I can't grasp. It's like the phrase, "God Bless America." It's nice and it's quaint, but why would deity care one way or the other about America, over and above any other country? I think, rather, that deity is quite well aware of the fact that one does what one has to to survive the conditions at hand. Survival is one of the most primal instincts.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aemilius
Apprentice
Last Login:April 10, 2011, 02:11:37 am

Religion: Druid

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #46: March 27, 2011, 12:13:20 am »

Hello every one!

My name is Emile, and I am Guenn Eona Nimue’s (thread starter) son. I have read this entire thread, and joined this forum specifically to respond with what I think may help to clarify what she meant. The responses? Well, many are genuinely explanatory, some are dismissive, and others are just excuses (all valid opinions nevertheless). First, it should be remembered that she is eighty-five, and comes from, both literally and figuratively, another world, or time, that may be alien to many of us now, a simpler time. I do not believe her post was meant to be disparaging, or that her purpose was to subtly attack anyone. The source of her lament (and mine, too, if I am to be completely honest), as she has described it to me when I questioned her about it, was that the human race was supposed to be so much more! It was once within our power to shape the world for the cause of what was good and right, and she feels that humanity has thrown it all away, and that our current (and now almost certainly irreversible) course is one of catastrophic self destruction. Yes, the Earth will survive even a worst case scenario, and new life forms will undoubtedly evolve to replace us, but that does not diminish in any way the overwhelming sadness of the “now”, as, together, we witness the impending end of what could have been a glorious, and lasting, age of wisdom and stewardship of this inimitable jewel of creation we call the Earth, unfold before us. I can not continue, when I think of it, without tears welling up in my eyes, so, I will not. I will say, however, that both she and I are acutely aware of the fact, and completely understand, that everyone (including us) is doing what they believe they must to survive, and that there is no longer any value in the attribution of blame, nor would arriving at any consensus among Druids, Pagans, or any of the myriad other religions or philosophies make any difference, as, it would appear, a “threshold” has now been crossed.

Strength to you all from me, Emile, and Love and Light to you all, from Guenn!
Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #47: March 27, 2011, 01:13:18 am »

Hello every one!

My name is Emile, and I am Guenn Eona Nimue’s (thread starter) son. I have read this entire thread, and joined this forum specifically to respond with what I think may help to clarify what she meant. The responses? Well, many are genuinely explanatory, some are dismissive, and others are just excuses (all valid opinions nevertheless). First, it should be remembered that she is eighty-five, and comes from, both literally and figuratively, another world, or time, that may be alien to many of us now, a simpler time. I do not believe her post was meant to be disparaging, or that her purpose was to subtly attack anyone. The source of her lament (and mine, too, if I am to be completely honest), as she has described it to me when I questioned her about it, was that the human race was supposed to be so much more! It was once within our power to shape the world for the cause of what was good and right, and she feels that humanity has thrown it all away, and that our current (and now almost certainly irreversible) course is one of catastrophic self destruction. Yes, the Earth will survive even a worst case scenario, and new life forms will undoubtedly evolve to replace us, but that does not diminish in any way the overwhelming sadness of the “now”, as, together, we witness the impending end of what could have been a glorious, and lasting, age of wisdom and stewardship of this inimitable jewel of creation we call the Earth, unfold before us. I can not continue, when I think of it, without tears welling up in my eyes, so, I will not. I will say, however, that both she and I are acutely aware of the fact, and completely understand, that everyone (including us) is doing what they believe they must to survive, and that there is no longer any value in the attribution of blame, nor would arriving at any consensus among Druids, Pagans, or any of the myriad other religions or philosophies make any difference, as, it would appear, a “threshold” has now been crossed.

Strength to you all from me, Emile, and Love and Light to you all, from Guenn!

I do as much as I can to be green. I'm studying environmental policy and management and hope to get a job that will allow me to assist in changing our (U.S.) government's policies and ideally let us pull the shields and shadows off of our corporations and reveal their actions to us all as well as regulate them (hey a girl can dream right?). But I am severely limited regarding fiscally sound/sane methods of being more green - some things simply cost too much atm. Though I hope in future to address some of these more costly changes as I finish school and get a solid job and many of them decrease in cost as demand increases and they become less 'niche' market and more average joe market Smiley

I understand what you're saying here but the OP doesn't come close to saying any of that in her initial post so I appreciate the clarification. IMO humanity was around for what over a hundred thousand years? Without screwing too badly with the environment. Then we started agriculture and built cities and one thing lead to another. The planet will survive with or without our meddling and selfish errors. I hope/pray that we pull our heads from our collective species' rears and start taking meaningful action as a group to halt the damage we've already caused. But in the end I don't feel like a hypocrit or a bad pagan or whatever if I drive somewhere instead of taking the unreliable public transportation system (nothing like getting up three hours early for class or work only to show up late anyway because the transit system blows). Like others have said I combine trips as much as possible and since I'm out of work and attend school online I usually only drive once a week and jam as many chores/errands/tasks as possible into that one day. Otherwise I walk or stay home.

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.