The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 20, 2020, 11:06:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2020, 11:06:32 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: How do you feel about flowers?  (Read 4053 times)
shdwdrgnwlf
Apprentice
Last Login:May 26, 2013, 10:19:06 pm
United States United States

Religion: Solitary Eclectic Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: September 09, 2010, 06:44:12 pm »

I have been thinking about this for a few days now and would love to get an opinion for other people.

If you leave flowers on your alter to your deities, do you always leave real flowers or do you sometimes leave fake ones? What if you don't have the money or means to always get real, fresh flowers? Is there ever a time when fake flowers are appropriate to leave for your deities?

Thanks for all your input! Grin

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Bastemhet
Master Member
Last Login:July 29, 2012, 07:48:38 am

Religion: Reformed Kemetic

May She smile upon me always.

Blog entries (0)

http://www.facebook.com/h

Ignore
« Reply #1: September 09, 2010, 06:59:56 pm »

I have been thinking about this for a few days now and would love to get an opinion for other people.

If you leave flowers on your alter to your deities, do you always leave real flowers or do you sometimes leave fake ones? What if you don't have the money or means to always get real, fresh flowers? Is there ever a time when fake flowers are appropriate to leave for your deities?

Fresher is better, but the ancient Kemetics had no qualms with leaving representations of things (such as pictures of food in tombs) when things that could expire were not a practical option.

veggiewolf
Adept Member
Last Login:November 14, 2014, 01:04:25 pm

Religion: Hoer of Onions / FlameKeeper
TCN ID: veggiewolf

Stop it, or I'll bury you alive in a box.

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Reply #2: September 09, 2010, 07:22:55 pm »

Fresher is better, but the ancient Kemetics had no qualms with leaving representations of things (such as pictures of food in tombs) when things that could expire were not a practical option.

When I'm not able to get fresh flowers, I put wooden tulips in the vase on my shrine.  They're hand-made and painted and seem to be a nice substitute.

Ask me about FlameKeeping!

"I can't take HIS money; I can't print MY OWN money.  Why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson
"My dream has been shattered into shards of a broken dream!" - Homer Simpson
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: September 09, 2010, 07:34:28 pm »

I don't have an issue with representations of things in place of "real" things, as that's well-attested historically, but I would be careful about the quality of those representations.

The standard plastic-vinyl fake flowers I wouldn't do, because I hate them and can't abide the perceived quality issues.  veggiewolf's wooden tulips sound great, though.  Some nice cloth or other representations would be okay too, I just hate plastic plants. Wink

Agriune
Last Login:February 09, 2012, 04:06:48 pm

Religion: Egyptian reconstructionism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: September 09, 2010, 09:14:37 pm »

While a nice bouquet would be traditional, I tend to stick with the representations, and it works out very nicely. My main shrine area employs several lotus candle holders in many different colors. The effect is very serene.
Devo
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:58:01 pm

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: September 13, 2010, 12:39:58 pm »

I myself have been told by Aset that she wants fresh flowers *always* on her shrine. So I have to buy them weekly, and as soon as any start to droop or die, I've been instructed to remove them. She's pretty laid back about everything but her flowers. So in that case, I always have to have live ones. If I suddenly ran into financial issues where she felt I couldn't afford them, she'd probably want nice (being the key word) fake flowers, or none at all. I personally don't like fake flowers, so I'd almost go abrstract- flowers made of other materials other than silk, or using a 2D representation. However, if the god(dess) is cool with it, I don't see a problem.

-Devo

dA | FB | LJ
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: September 13, 2010, 01:27:55 pm »

I myself have been told by Aset that she wants fresh flowers *always* on her shrine. So I have to buy them weekly, and as soon as any start to droop or die, I've been instructed to remove them. She's pretty laid back about everything but her flowers. So in that case, I always have to have live ones. If I suddenly ran into financial issues where she felt I couldn't afford them, she'd probably want nice (being the key word) fake flowers, or none at all. I personally don't like fake flowers, so I'd almost go abrstract- flowers made of other materials other than silk, or using a 2D representation. However, if the god(dess) is cool with it, I don't see a problem.

-Devo

Do they have to be CUT flowers?  How about a flowering plant?

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Devo
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: September 13, 2010, 02:57:52 pm »

Do they have to be CUT flowers?  How about a flowering plant?

I have considered this, but it's really hard to keep things living in my house. Due to the lack of light (things are kept dark due to the heat) it's a pain to keep things alive. I've gone through quite a few plants lately.. the only things still hanging on are my orchids, and they only flower a small fraction out of the year. That, and a sweet potato that is taking over the kitchen island (the only place in the house that receives daily light). So in the long run it'd be cheaper to have a flowering plant, but for the current time, it's not practical- I'd probably spend more money buying new ones after I had killed it DX

-Devo

dA | FB | LJ
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #8: September 13, 2010, 05:38:29 pm »

I have left living items only on my altar. This is mostly due to a respect issue. I have nothing against fake plants--I have numerous ones throughout my house--however, I don't think that Sekhmet would enjoy fake flowers. As it is, her flower contributions are considerably limited. I've given her dead grass and a giant, orange flower that I secreted from a neighbor's bush in the dead of the night.

When Hwt-Hrw finally shows up, I have no idea how she'll feel about it. I think she would just enjoy the thought behind the flowers as opposed to the need to have real ones.

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
veggiewolf
Adept Member

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Reply #9: September 14, 2010, 08:37:56 pm »

I have considered this, but it's really hard to keep things living in my house. Due to the lack of light (things are kept dark due to the heat) it's a pain to keep things alive. I've gone through quite a few plants lately.. the only things still hanging on are my orchids, and they only flower a small fraction out of the year. That, and a sweet potato that is taking over the kitchen island (the only place in the house that receives daily light). So in the long run it'd be cheaper to have a flowering plant, but for the current time, it's not practical- I'd probably spend more money buying new ones after I had killed it DX

-Devo

How about an AeroGarden?  You can keep flowers growing in there for months and it has its own light source?  I have two, and I grow herbs in them all year round.

"I can't take HIS money; I can't print MY OWN money.  Why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson
Devo
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: September 15, 2010, 11:29:10 am »

How about an AeroGarden?  You can keep flowers growing in there for months and it has its own light source?  I have two, and I grow herbs in them all year round.

I so want one of these, so that I can grow veggies and the like XD I plan on getting one in the future.

-Devo

dA | FB | LJ
Utusitusi
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 04, 2011, 03:46:02 am
Belgium Belgium

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu

Blog entries (0)

Utusitusi

Ignore
« Reply #11: September 21, 2010, 07:44:09 am »

I've been informed that cut flowers are a must on the shrine, so I buy a fresh bouquet weekly or whenever needed. I've found that I'm particularly fond of multi-colored carnations as they're very pretty, keep a long time and are not too expensive.
When I went on holiday, I didn't want to leave a bunch of flowers wilting on the shrine though, so I wondered if a potted plant would do, but was decidedly led to buy a specific bouquet of flowers that could be dried instead. By the time I left, the flowers had dried and prettied up the shrine perfectly.
It works for me.

Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #12: September 21, 2010, 09:57:06 am »

I've been informed that cut flowers are a must on the shrine, so I buy a fresh bouquet weekly or whenever needed. I've found that I'm particularly fond of multi-colored carnations as they're very pretty, keep a long time and are not too expensive.
When I went on holiday, I didn't want to leave a bunch of flowers wilting on the shrine though, so I wondered if a potted plant would do, but was decidedly led to buy a specific bouquet of flowers that could be dried instead. By the time I left, the flowers had dried and prettied up the shrine perfectly.
It works for me.

Wouldn't the need for the flowers be dependent upon netjer's desire?

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
veggiewolf
Adept Member

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Reply #13: September 21, 2010, 10:57:19 am »

I'd think so, although I'm noticing more and more that the netjer request different things from different people.  F'ex, they may ask for live flowers from one person, and be satisfied with replicas from another.

Utusitusi
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 04, 2011, 03:46:02 am
Belgium Belgium

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu

Blog entries (0)

Utusitusi

Ignore
« Reply #14: September 21, 2010, 11:16:42 am »

Oh yes, when I said 'informed' I meant by informed by Netjer in UPG. Ever since Wep Ronpet, when I started more serious worship, Netjer has asked for flowers and I comply. I worship Nut, Mut and Bes primaraly and it's mostly Nut and Mut who ask for flowers, Bes is more laid back.

I was planning to leave the shrine bare for the time I went on holiday or perhaps buy a potted flowering plant, but I was told by Netjer to buy a specific bouquet. When I was putting it on the shrine, I realised the flowers could be dried easily and remain just as beautiful which got me a bit of a "Now, you get it." in response.

I don't know why They don't want a potted plant but I've been told No several times now.
But my UPG is not your UPG. Grin

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.