The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 08, 2021, 01:20:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2021, 01:20:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Store-bought organic vs. farmer's market  (Read 3854 times)
WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 04, 2007, 07:23:21 am »

The local metropolis (New Hope, pop. 2,250) finally started a farmer's market.  I'm buying free-range eggs and pasture-raised meat there.  The meats are very expensive.

At the grocery I buy the store brand FDA certified organic items I can't get at the farmer's market.  I like that certification, though I now wonder if I'm putting too much faith in our lovely government.

If you picked up something that was labeled 'organic' without the FDA seal, would you be skeptical?

If you picked up something labeled 'all-natural,' would you believe it? (Given that 'all-natural' has no legal meaning; sewage is 'all-natural.')

My inclination is to support the local farmers as much as I can, though it's rough on the wallet.

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: June 04, 2007, 09:02:12 am »

If you picked up something that was labeled 'organic' without the FDA seal, would you be skeptical?

Hmmm.  I wouldn't immediately suspect the local Farmer's Market crowd of labelling something "organic" that was grown using all sorts of nasty chemical junk.  However, I do keep in mind when shopping there the fact that "organic" doesn't necessarily tell me anything unless I know exactly what it means, and without some standard to refer to, I don't know what it means.  The great thing about the Farmer's Market, though, is that the people who raised the food are right there.  If you have questions about what "organic" means as applied to their food, you can just ask them.  Smiley  (Of course, at some point this does mean you've got to trust that people are telling you the truth.)

I would also note, though, that since the stuff at the Farmer's Market not only supports local farmers but also tends (IMHO) to taste better whether it's organic or not...  Unless I have reason to believe that a particular farmer's practices are really bad (which I generally don't), I tend to not mind much if their idea of "organic" differs slightly from mine.

If you picked up something labeled 'all-natural,' would you believe it? (Given that 'all-natural' has no legal meaning; sewage is 'all-natural.')

I believe it's all-natural.  I don't believe that means anything.  Cheesy  Just because it's natural doesn't mean I want it in my body, and I try to keep that in mind when buying food.

My inclination is to support the local farmers as much as I can, though it's rough on the wallet.

It can be, yeah.  Sad  Produce I find isn't so bad if you get the right stuff and get it in-season.  Meats, though, as you mentioned, can be pretty expensive.  But it really does taste better, and Hubby and I feel like it's worth it when we can afford it...  So we use less meat and supplement it when we have to (which is more than I'd like) with less-expensive megamart meat.  It's actually been really interesting for us, learning to cook around what's in-season and all that.  Smiley

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 04, 2007, 11:44:58 am »

Hmmm.  I wouldn't immediately suspect the local Farmer's Market crowd of labelling something "organic" that was grown using all sorts of nasty chemical junk.  However, I do keep in mind when shopping there the fact that "organic" doesn't necessarily tell me anything unless I know exactly what it means, and without some standard to refer to, I don't know what it means.  The great thing about the Farmer's Market, though, is that the people who raised the food are right there.  If you have questions about what "organic" means as applied to their food, you can just ask them.  Smiley  (Of course, at some point this does mean you've got to trust that people are telling you the truth.)

I would also note, though, that since the stuff at the Farmer's Market not only supports local farmers but also tends (IMHO) to taste better whether it's organic or not...  Unless I have reason to believe that a particular farmer's practices are really bad (which I generally don't), I tend to not mind much if their idea of "organic" differs slightly from mine.

One way is to see who offers a CSA.Those people tend to have good organic practices, since most of them encourage the members to come help on the farm.  Sometimes the difference is just how long they've had that field, because you can't be certified organic in most places until the field has been organic for a certain period of time..

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 04, 2007, 12:42:42 pm »

One way is to see who offers a CSA.Those people tend to have good organic practices, since most of them encourage the members to come help on the farm.  Sometimes the difference is just how long they've had that field, because you can't be certified organic in most places until the field has been organic for a certain period of time..

I totally forgot about CSA. Smiley  Thank you Mandrina!  *kiss*

One of the tents at the local market has a sign that reads "So-n-so Farm has been organic for thirty years."  Which is really cool.  Unfortunately, all they sell are herb and spice plants, which I don't have room or knowledge for right now.

The guys I buy my salad and eggs from are a hippy and his neo-hippy son.  It's a leaf and sprout salad, sold in small containers ("bachelor-sized") so I'm not throwing any out once it goes bad.  Add in some baby carrots, diced red wine/derby cheese, and light ranch dressing, and I'm a happy camper.  In fact, I'm munching on eggzactly that right now. Wink

Our farm inherited about fifty pounds of processed venison from some hunters that are no longer allowed on the property.  So I'm going to live on that for the summer. Wink

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 04, 2007, 12:50:25 pm »

Oops!  Almost forgot you, Star. <wince>

The great thing about the Farmer's Market, though, is that the people who raised the food are right there.  If you have questions about what "organic" means as applied to their food, you can just ask them.  Smiley  (Of course, at some point this does mean you've got to trust that people are telling you the truth.)

Yuppers!  And they love to tell you about their products! Cheesy

It can be, yeah.  Sad  Produce I find isn't so bad if you get the right stuff and get it in-season.  Meats, though, as you mentioned, can be pretty expensive.  But it really does taste better, and Hubby and I feel like it's worth it when we can afford it...  So we use less meat and supplement it when we have to (which is more than I'd like) with less-expensive megamart meat.  It's actually been really interesting for us, learning to cook around what's in-season and all that.  Smiley

I lucked out in the meat department (re: my reply to Mandrina); a 3.75 lb turkey breast at the FM cost $15!!  Maybe I'll leave it in the freezer until Thanksgiving! Grin

Learning to cook around what's in-season will be interesting for me, too.  I'm off this weekend so maybe I can pick some berries and do some CSA stuff. Smiley

This eco-geek thing is cool. Cool

mandrina
High Adept Member

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 04, 2007, 05:51:09 pm »

Oops!  Almost forgot you, Star. <wince>

Yuppers!  And they love to tell you about their products! Cheesy

I lucked out in the meat department (re: my reply to Mandrina); a 3.75 lb turkey breast at the FM cost $15!!  Maybe I'll leave it in the freezer until Thanksgiving! Grin

Learning to cook around what's in-season will be interesting for me, too.  I'm off this weekend so maybe I can pick some berries and do some CSA stuff. Smiley

This eco-geek thing is cool. Cool

Our CSA's have started for the season, and you pay for the whole season (prorated if you join late), but there might be csa's who sell a share by the week,

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #6: June 04, 2007, 07:03:40 pm »

Our CSA's have started for the season, and you pay for the whole season,

Yeah, that's the only thing that's really stopped us from joining one.  Unfortunately it's a lot harder for us to come up with that money all in one chunk (or even a couple) than it is to come up with a few bucks to buy veggies each week as we go.  Sad

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 04, 2007, 07:51:21 pm »

Our CSA's have started for the season, and you pay for the whole season (prorated if you join late), but there might be csa's who sell a share by the week,

I'll chat them up Thursday and see what's up.

Thanks again for the tip. Wink

mandrina
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 04, 2007, 08:15:04 pm »

Yeah, that's the only thing that's really stopped us from joining one.  Unfortunately it's a lot harder for us to come up with that money all in one chunk (or even a couple) than it is to come up with a few bucks to buy veggies each week as we go.  Sad

Ours will take four payments.  There are at least three others locally, I'm not sure what the situation is with them.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)