The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 17, 2021, 05:28:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2021, 05:28:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Is the Right Wing Anti-Science?  (Read 31326 times)
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am
United States United States

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #45: November 05, 2010, 10:32:40 am »

There are those who say the Constitution guarantees only protection to the people
But .....
If it is, as they would like you to think, a Christian Nation, then the point is moot since the Biblical mandate to help the poor and suffering is clear

Yes, but the charity is supposed to come from churches so they have a chance to cram religion down your throa...I mean "share the Gospel" with the masses.  Plus, if you get food stamps of comparably discreet government assistance you can't be forced to debase yourself at the local food pantry every week.

Sperran

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #46: November 05, 2010, 03:52:52 pm »

Well, for one thing, I think she was pretty much told that she couldn't be on the HC wagon because of the debacle of Hillarycare in the 1990's.  The whole complaint back then was "nobody elected hillary, so why does she get a say in public law".  Had M. Obama been in the middle of the HC debate, it probably would have failed like the Clinton HC reform.

Uh, no.

HillaryCare had a number of major problems. Having major input from the 1st Lady was not one of the major problems.

Having Michelle Obama involved in ObamaCare would bring back bad memories, but would not, by itself, be a killer.
sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #47: November 05, 2010, 04:01:51 pm »

Wasn't Medicare and WIC and a bunch of other programs the result of/part of the War on Poverty?  If so, I'd say he didn't entirely fail.

And I had no idea WIC did cooking classes.  Why the hell would they do away w/something like that, considering the shear potential monetary savings?

I know; that's why I've been trying to teach myself to cook.  It's really slow going, but it's important I learn to pickle my own kale before the zombie apocalypse. Cheesy

WIC is still offering classes, at least in Vermont. Arizona, Chicago (IL), Montana, and Texas.
http://healthvermont.gov/wic/about.aspx

If you are being serious about learning to cook, rather than a joke about the zombies, look for books by Rozanne Gold. I should be able to get you signed book plates. /end of ad
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #48: November 05, 2010, 04:15:21 pm »

Uh, no.

HillaryCare had a number of major problems. Having major input from the 1st Lady was not one of the major problems.

Having Michelle Obama involved in ObamaCare would bring back bad memories, but would not, by itself, be a killer.

In which case, why are we calling it Hillarycare?

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #49: November 05, 2010, 04:40:12 pm »

In which case, why are we calling it Hillarycare?

She was the driving force behind the plan. The plan failed on it's merits and the process used to create it. Hillary's status as 1st Lady was irrelevent to it.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #50: November 05, 2010, 05:22:31 pm »

She was the driving force behind the plan. The plan failed on it's merits and the process used to create it. Hillary's status as 1st Lady was irrelevent to it.

The Clinton plan failed because of scare tactics by its political opponents and the the money spend by for-profit medical care, drug, and medical insurance companies who would have not been nearly as profitable under the plan.  The actual plan received little real debate, most of the debate was on what the scare commercials and right wing talk shows implied was in the plan -- most of with was NOT in the plan at all.  Something like all the death committee nonsense this time around.

Not that the Clinton plan was perfect -- like every plan, it had problems -- but the actual plan received very little discussion.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #51: November 05, 2010, 06:17:43 pm »

The Clinton plan failed because of scare tactics by its political opponents and the the money spend by for-profit medical care, drug, and medical insurance companies who would have not been nearly as profitable under the plan.  The actual plan received little real debate, most of the debate was on what the scare commercials and right wing talk shows implied was in the plan -- most of with was NOT in the plan at all.  Something like all the death committee nonsense this time around.

Not that the Clinton plan was perfect -- like every plan, it had problems -- but the actual plan received very little discussion.

Must depend upon who you live with.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #52: November 05, 2010, 10:33:27 pm »

Must depend upon who you live with.

I'm talking about the US population as a whole. The actual plan did not see much discussion from what I can tell. The nonsense in the scare commercials -- lots of discussion.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #53: November 05, 2010, 10:34:47 pm »

Scientists--and sometimes even science itself--have been getting hammered by right-wing commentators recently. Now comes the counterattack. A strongly-worded editorial in the prestigious journal Nature starts by quoting Rush Limbaugh: "The four corners of deceit: government, academia, science and media. Those institutions are now corrupt and exist by virtue of deceit. That's how they promulgate themselves; it is how they prosper."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/atlantic/20100910/cm_atlantic/istherightwingantiscience4985_1

When the Pope tells Hawkins not to touch the big bang because it's gods work...

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #54: November 05, 2010, 11:02:52 pm »

WIC is still offering classes, at least in Vermont. Arizona, Chicago (IL), Montana, and Texas.
http://healthvermont.gov/wic/about.aspx

If you are being serious about learning to cook, rather than a joke about the zombies, look for books by Rozanne Gold. I should be able to get you signed book plates. /end of ad

They don't have them in Missouri.  They have breastfeeding support groups, but no cooking classes.
sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #55: November 05, 2010, 11:17:53 pm »

I'm talking about the US population as a whole. The actual plan did not see much discussion from what I can tell. The nonsense in the scare commercials -- lots of discussion.

Yeah, when your family is involved in health care legislation for 30+ yrs you get a pretty quick analysis and lots of discussion.
sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #56: November 05, 2010, 11:20:26 pm »

They don't have them in Missouri.  They have breastfeeding support groups, but no cooking classes.

It could be that the support services are a block grant to the states. It would be up to each state to decide what options to have; or maybe it requires state matching funds.
Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #57: November 06, 2010, 04:45:27 pm »

Well, the pickled kale is (mostly) a joke, but learning to cook (and especially to preserve and ferment) isn't; if I don't now, I'll regret it when TSHTF.

*googles Rozanne Gold*

I would check them out of the library before I would buy them (and the only chef who's autograph I could imagine wanting is Alton Brown, but thanks for the offer/pimping Cheesy). 

What I'd really like is a textbook-cookbook that teaches you how to cook different kinds of foods.  Like, one that has a section on beans, and one each on rices, pastas, breads, non-yeast baking, root veg and non-starchy veg and fruits, and it would be really nice if it had a section on tofu/tempeh and that kind of thing, maybe a little section on vegan foods like vital wheat gluten.  Even a unit on using herbs and spices.  Ideally, each section would contain mini-units, which would be like an expanded version of an episode of Good Eats, in that recipes would be interspersed with agricultural, scientific, and other info about the food in question, preferably with plentiful pictures and other visual aids. 

And it would be cool if I could find such a textbook-cookbook that had a similar setup, but with sections on canning, fermenting, basic cheesemaking, and other forms of preservation.  Possibly a little section on homebrew pop, beer and wine.  Maybe a second volume in the series kinda thing.  They would need to be something that had you make each recipe in the book (so it's more about learning to cook than learning a given bunch of recipes), and built on your knowledge from previous sections as you progressed.  Something designed specifically to guide people through teaching themselves how to cook, with enough depth to it that going on to get a more specialized book wouldn't seem quite so overwhelming.  There are a shit-ton of specialized books, but they seem too much.

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams
Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #58: November 06, 2010, 04:48:12 pm »

In the interest of clarification, I should've added before posting:  a book designed to be text and teacher in one.

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #59: November 07, 2010, 01:57:25 am »

There are those who say the Constitution guarantees only protection to the people

I think the key word there is "protect". Not "support". (Not that I agree, but I digress.)

If it is, as they would like you to think, a Christian Nation, then the point is moot since the Biblical mandate to help the poor and suffering is clear.

True. But when it becomes convenient, one label get dropped for another. (I am not saying every Christan American does this, or every right-winger.) When thinking on it, it's not exactly a new thing. Doesn't make it any more right, though.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)