The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 17, 2021, 06:20:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2021, 06:20:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Is the Right Wing Anti-Science?  (Read 31327 times)
Phoenix
Adept Member
Last Login:June 14, 2011, 05:51:50 am
United States United States

Religion: Pantheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #60: November 07, 2010, 02:58:47 am »

when it becomes convenient, one label get dropped for another

Some people read the Constitution the same way they read the Bible: take a passage they like out of context and twist it around to fit what they want it to say.

When thinking on it, it's not exactly a new thing.

Nope, that's mentioned in the Bible too:

Isaiah 10:1-3. "Woe to those who enact evil statutes, and to those who continually record unjust decisions, so as to deprive the needy of justice, and rob the poor of My people of their rights... Now what will you do in the day of punishment, and in the devastation which will come from afar?"

Ezekiel 16:49 "Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had arrogance, abundant food, and careless ease, but she did not help the poor and needy. Thus they were haughty and committed abominations before Me. Therefore I removed them when I saw it."

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."
- Ronald Reagan

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #61: November 07, 2010, 03:30:14 am »

Isaiah 10:1-3. "Woe to those who enact evil statutes, and to those who continually record unjust decisions, so as to deprive the needy of justice, and rob the poor of My people of their rights... Now what will you do in the day of punishment, and in the devastation which will come from afar?"

Ezekiel 16:49 "Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had arrogance, abundant food, and careless ease, but she did not help the poor and needy. Thus they were haughty and committed abominations before Me. Therefore I removed them when I saw it."

<yoink>

Very, very useful.  Wink

Brina
Vargstenen
Apprentice
Last Login:June 28, 2011, 04:34:44 am

Religion: Heathen

"Var utan fruktan" - Be Without Fear

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #62: January 02, 2011, 03:36:14 pm »

Scientists--and sometimes even science itself--have been getting hammered by right-wing commentators recently. Now comes the counterattack. A strongly-worded editorial in the prestigious journal Nature starts by quoting Rush Limbaugh: "The four corners of deceit: government, academia, science and media. Those institutions are now corrupt and exist by virtue of deceit. That's how they promulgate themselves; it is how they prosper."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/atlantic/20100910/cm_atlantic/istherightwingantiscience4985_1

I hold the firm belief that Science is, and must be, apolitical.

Politics is all perspective. Built of mass opinions.

Science is tangent, able to study, and the findings attributed to Science, will remain there despite the Will of any who oppose it.

Some people may not agree with Evolution. Some even vehemently oppose it. But that does not change the fact Biological Evolution occurred, and will continue.
Hella Jeff
Apprentice
Last Login:July 28, 2011, 01:18:56 am

Religion: Stoicism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #63: June 13, 2011, 12:50:08 am »

I hold the firm belief that Science is, and must be, apolitical.

Politics is all perspective. Built of mass opinions.

Science is tangent, able to study, and the findings attributed to Science, will remain there despite the Will of any who oppose it.

Some people may not agree with Evolution. Some even vehemently oppose it. But that does not change the fact Biological Evolution occurred, and will continue.

Also, creationism is not right wing. Its unfortunate that those kinds of anti-intellectuals have taken over the conservative movement.

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #64: June 13, 2011, 02:29:38 am »

Also, creationism is not right wing. Its unfortunate that those kinds of anti-intellectuals have taken over the conservative movement.

I would agree that it's not necessarily synonymous with the right wing - you would still be extremely hard pressed to find a large proportion of the left claiming it as fact. Just sayin'.

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
Phoenix
Adept Member
Last Login:June 14, 2011, 05:51:50 am

Religion: Pantheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #65: June 13, 2011, 07:34:36 am »

I would agree that it's not necessarily synonymous with the right wing - you would still be extremely hard pressed to find a large proportion of the left claiming it as fact. Just sayin'.

The conservative war on facts

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."
- Ronald Reagan
Carnelian
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2012, 12:55:04 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Greek paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #66: June 13, 2011, 08:37:23 am »

As for deceit and science...?  How about the giant international swindle that is man-made global warming?

Sure, and the theory of evolution is just liberal propaganda against the Judeo-Christian morals of America  Roll Eyes

Gotta love it when people are informed by those idiot right wing pundits, at least as a source of entertainment. I wonder if anyone has told Bill O'Reilly yet that the moon's gravitational pull controls the tides, not an unexplainable miracle performed by God. It's quite evident Republicans are anti-intellectual in every way, as they would rather live in their fundamentalist bubble than think rationally. They're proud of their ignorance. I saw a video posted online a while ago, I think from Glenn Beck's website, basically saying that universities are just places of liberal indoctrination. Heaven forbid young people become aware of the world and involved in social justice issues. Better to speak in tongues and salute a cardboard image of Dubya, I suppose.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2021, 05:08:13 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #67: June 13, 2011, 06:18:40 pm »

It's quite evident Republicans are anti-intellectual in every way, as they would rather live in their fundamentalist bubble than think rationally.
So are you handwaving aside those Republicans who are not fundamentalist Christians, or do you just think they don't exist?  Because there are, in fact, Republicans who are mainline Protestants, or Catholic, or atheist, or Jewish, or even Pagan (like the one you quoted - who, incidentally, has these folders on ignore, so you're taking potshots at someone who can't answer).

"Republican", "anti-intellectual", and "fundamentalist" are three different circles in the Venn diagram.  There may have come to be large overlaps, but they're not the same thing.

(Full disclosure:  I'm progressive/liberal myself - but I hate like hell when right-wing types conflate me and all other left-leaners in that way, and I don't think it's either just or useful to do it to the right-leaners.)

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Carnelian
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2012, 12:55:04 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Greek paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #68: June 13, 2011, 07:53:45 pm »

So are you handwaving aside those Republicans who are not fundamentalist Christians, or do you just think they don't exist?  Because there are, in fact, Republicans who are mainline Protestants, or Catholic, or atheist, or Jewish, or even Pagan (like the one you quoted - who, incidentally, has these folders on ignore, so you're taking potshots at someone who can't answer).

"Republican", "anti-intellectual", and "fundamentalist" are three different circles in the Venn diagram.  There may have come to be large overlaps, but they're not the same thing.

(Full disclosure:  I'm progressive/liberal myself - but I hate like hell when right-wing types conflate me and all other left-leaners in that way, and I don't think it's either just or useful to do it to the right-leaners.)

Sunflower

Well, the Republican Party has its origins in Evangelical Christianity, formed as a reaction to the separation of church and state in the constitution (which must be why they still have trouble grasping that concept). At first they did decent things in the name of pushing their Evangelical agenda, like ending slavery and promoting literacy for everyone (so they could read the Bible for themselves), but now they've gone a little crazy, if the Fox News pundits are any indication. I figure Republicans are either fundamentalist Evangelicals (culturally if not religiously), greedy corporate douchebags, or just plain old delusional. I wish I were just stereotyping, but I've known many Republicans, and my categories are pretty accurate, if politically incorrect.

I quoted that poster because she participated in the discussion. If she chooses to ignore discussions after she's posted something in them, that's her prerogative.
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #69: June 13, 2011, 08:17:41 pm »

Well, the Republican Party has its origins in Evangelical Christianity, formed as a reaction to the separation of church and state in the constitution (which must be why they still have trouble grasping that concept). At first they did decent things in the name of pushing their Evangelical agenda, like ending slavery and promoting literacy for everyone (so they could read the Bible for themselves), but now they've gone a little crazy, if the Fox News pundits are any indication.

Not exactly.  The Republican Party was founded on a strictly anti-slavery platform.  To be more precise, it was founded in response to the Kansas-Nebraska Act which stated that the settlers in the territories can decide for themselves if they want slavery or not.  They adopted the fiscal platform of the Whigs and Federalists that preceeded them and is pretty much the successor of those two parties (neither of which were particularly religious in nature -- or at least not more religious as the other party).  Religion didn't really have much to do with it (the first Republican President, Lincoln, didn't belong to any specific denomination of Christianity).  It was only until the 1960's when they began to attract the fundie vote (due in no small part to the South shifting to the Republicans when the Democrats began supporting the Civil Rights Movement).

I figure Republicans are either fundamentalist Evangelicals (culturally if not religiously), greedy corporate douchebags, or just plain old delusional. I wish I were just stereotyping, but I've known many Republicans, and my categories are pretty accurate, if politically incorrect.

While I don't agree or even like the Republican Party, I would be the first to admit that this is an over-generalization and probably getting close to being a blanket attack on a group.

I quoted that poster because she participated in the discussion. If she chooses to ignore discussions after she's posted something in them, that's her prerogative.

She also hasn't been around since February and probably isn't coming back.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #70: June 13, 2011, 08:25:53 pm »

I figure Republicans are either fundamentalist Evangelicals (culturally if not religiously), greedy corporate douchebags, or just plain old delusional. I wish I were just stereotyping, but I've known many Republicans, and my categories are pretty accurate, if politically incorrect.

*** MOD HAT ON ***Please read our Political Discussion Guidelines. This type of statement, even with an "I figure" in front of it is unacceptable name-calling. I realize that political discussions in many places tolerate behavior that reminds one of bullies at the playground, but TC does not. Name-calling is not acceptable in discussions here, not even political discussions.

From the rules portion of our Political Discussion Guidelines:

Political discussions are expected to obey the regular forum rules. This means that much of the type of nasty discussion that goes on in many other political discussion areas on the Internet (e.g. the old Yahoo Message Boards) will quickly get one banned on The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum. Here are some things to remember:

* Keep political discussions civil. Attack ideas, do not attack the people who hold them.

* Personal attacks (like name-calling) on other members, people, countries, or political institutions are not allowed. While we do allow political figures to be referred to by fairly common, polite nicknames (e.g. Tricky Dick, Slick Willie, Shrub), the type of insulting name calling that goes in many other online political discussions (e.g. calling liberals things like "libtards" or conservatives "contards") is not welcome here.

* Those who disagree with you are not idiots, terrorists, communists, Nazis, anti-American, retards, etc. While you may not be willing to believe it, they might be right and you might be wrong.

* Don't expect to convince a political opponent by citing opinion pieces or biased "factual" pieces from sources generally considered be strongly aligned with one political camp or another. Citing Rush Limbaugh or NewsMax isn't likely to convince a liberal any more than citing TruthOut or Counterpunch is likely to convince a conservative.

* If you are making a claim and asked to support it, do not try to avoid doing so by demanding that your opponents instead disprove it. It is the duty of those making a positive claim to support it if asked. It is not the duty of those opposing the idea either to disprove it or accept it.

* This forum is not an appropriate place for blatant political campaigning.

* Finally, take a look at your message before you post it. It if reads like children taunting each other on the playground, please revise it as you will only make a fool of yourself (and perhaps get into rules violation trouble) if you post it.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)