The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 13, 2021, 04:15:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 13, 2021, 04:15:07 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Gods and Evolution  (Read 13920 times)
Tobias
Apprentice
Last Login:October 13, 2014, 01:37:04 am
United States United States

Religion: mystic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: December 25, 2010, 06:03:54 am »

LOL. I didn't mean to imply your post was in any degree aweful. I was just getting increasingly frustrated with myself that I couldn't find a way to make it relevant to mine and wanted to give it a well-considered response if it was actually intended to be Smiley

Ha ha.  Smiley 

Truth be told, I was quite impressed with most of the posts in this thread, yours included.  I liked that bit about increasing complexity, or complexification (iirc).  But looking over it again, I realize you started off mentioning you are a panentheist, which I am not, so I'm not really sure it's even applicable to my paradigm.

It wasn't my intention to question you (or anybody else), but to simply share my views and let the conversation continue. Smiley

Tobias

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

redjewel
Last Login:March 09, 2011, 12:02:18 pm

Religion: Jainism and Christianity

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: February 24, 2011, 09:16:04 pm »

It seems to me a lot of argument about science and religion boils down to what you label certain events and factors of change. One could call creation the big-bang or divine creation but since no one actually knows what happened the point is mute. Because we exist and can trace the reasons for our existence back in time we assume there must have been a start to it. It is just as likely there never was a start and everything was just always here.
I also subscribe to the idea that Gods did not exist until we created them. We could not create them until we (a part of the universe) became conscious of itself existing. We began thinking that the part that was aware of itself is more important than the other parts. Since we are more important, we should have a powerful influence over everything that helps us out. Since we determined that Gods exist they began existing. I believe that evolution is one method of changing that is driven by the random invention of the gene or DNA in nature. DNA's hardwiring is to evolve with each replication(like a computer's programming). DNA can not stay the same by design. I do not believe we evolve because a God wills it, but because we cannot stop evolving, in fact it is impossible for life to reproduce and not evolve, this is because of the mechanics of reproduction. Even asexual reproduction will produce a slightly different genetic offspring then the original.
I do believe that Gods can influence evolution but I do not think it is driven by them.

I believe in the teachings of Patanjali and the teachings in bible lessons.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #32: February 24, 2011, 10:25:06 pm »

Hi, redjewel,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion easier to follow, and it's required by our rules.

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!

Sunflower, TC Forum Staff

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
son of dhamma
Permanently Banned
Journeyman
Last Login:April 12, 2011, 10:06:37 am

Religion: -

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #33: March 21, 2011, 06:34:35 pm »

A few questions came to mind during my biology lesson on evolution today. For those of you who believe in/work with/worship (etc) Gods, what is your take on the theory of evolution/the big bang theory, etc? In my own mind, I'm not sure what I think. To me, the whole concept of evolution and our beginnings seems logical. I struggle to fit my Gods into that, however. Are they younger than the Earth? Older? Or just older/younger than ourselves? The creative force, or created by a force that started the Earth in the first place? And at the end of the day, does it really matter? This may not make much sense, I'm still trying to work it out in my mind as well. It would just be interesting to hear a few thoughts.

In the cosmic scale, individual worlds--although innumerable they may be--seem quite insignificant to me.  Considering the notion that some beings have a lifespan of approximately 160 billion or 10 trillion years has interesting psychological effects.  To me it feels like standing in a stone room with ceilings so high and walls so far that you cannot see anything but the floor, setting up a little table and putting "evolution" and a basket of gods down on the table to have a chat.  Quite pleasant.
  And lo, behold the world and here such delicate creatures emerging from the earth, on a speck amidst the mighty ebb and flow of the cosmos where the highest of gods swim for aeons ad infinitum.

-

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)