The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 24, 2021, 10:37:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 24, 2021, 10:37:30 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Creation  (Read 4315 times)
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: September 17, 2010, 06:50:49 pm »

Oh. I get it now! Thanks!

No problem.   Smiley

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

meown
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 04, 2011, 08:04:35 am
Belgium Belgium

Religion: still searching for answers

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: September 27, 2010, 05:10:39 am »

I'm a bit confused. Are you saying you believe in the Gods and scientific theories about how the world was made? Is there a way to believe in both science and the Gods?

Sorry if I sound stupid or ignorant. I don't have much experience in this area. So sorry.

Yes, I believe this is possible. If you believe the scientific explanation as real, and the creation story as a lesson. Mostly they have a deeper meaning, that contains stuff to think about, with every day problems. I also believe that the stories are created by people in their needs to explaining earthly things, when science wasn't developed yet.  

But I don't believe that there was an actual "creation". The universe always was and always is and always will be. I believe in the big bang theory, but even there I believe all material was already there (but in a little dot with an enormous gravity). You can see it in scientific experiments. You put some things in a jar weight the jar, you close the jar, shake it around so a chemical reaction occurs, then weight it again. The weight hasn't changed, only the form of appearance. So actually the only thing that happens is continually change and rearranging of molecules. And with the right combination, life in this form as we know it now on earth was possible.
Therefor if there are Gods right now, they also were always there and always will be. But the question is how they manifest. Some people see the sun as a God because it provides light, warmth, and therefor life. That is magical. I think the Gods helps us remember the essential thing about life. The sun is never just the sun, it is on of our sources of life and therefor we should respect and care about it. I could go on like this for every single God but I hope you'll get my point. Gods present the essentials of life. It's just how you look at it. And what does it matter if they are real or not? If they are in your head and keep you on a pathway that makes you feel happy in life, why bother?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 05:18:43 am by meown » Logged
Vella Malachite
Master Member
Last Login:July 31, 2011, 03:27:04 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Irish Celtic Reconstructionist

Never underestimate carefully worded nonsense.

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #17: September 28, 2010, 11:55:03 pm »

I'm a bit confused. Are you saying you believe in the Gods and scientific theories about how the world was made? Is there a way to believe in both science and the Gods?

Sorry if I sound stupid or ignorant. I don't have much experiance in this area. So sorry.

You don't sound stupid or ignorant.  Stop worrying!  There is no such thing as a stupid question (inquisitive idiots notwithstanding).

Well, knowing both people who refuse to believe that dinosaur bones aren't a hoax and people who wonder why people insist on trying to find reasons where there aren't any (their words, not mine), I think it's a matter of how you look at it.  I know a lot of people who are Christian, but instead of saying "science is wrong", they say "evolution happened...because God made it happen".  It's keeping the 'how', but adding the 'why' where Science can't figure it out.
Aaaand I think I've just restated everything Moon Ivy et al have said.

But there's a thread somewhere...which I, for the life of me can't find, but will come across in about ten minutes and kick myself...that talks about mythology and whether one could write new myths and still have them be "true", where there seems to be a general consensus that myths are not written to be 'true' as such; they are written to explain something about the Gods or about values or to be a darn good story that just happens to show the character of X deity or something like that.  If you use that reasoning and apply it to creation myths, then you can definitely say "well, Science tells us that this is actually what happened, but this is a stylised version that shows us why the deities want to look after us/why this world is important to them/insert message from creation myth of your choice here".  Myths don't have to be true, but they do have to help us understand.

Hope that wasn't to verbose, and is myth-like in that it provided some insight  Cheesy

Minds are like parachutes: Just because you've lost yours, doesn't mean you can borrow mine.

What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter as if he is a man, but when he is a spinning ball of ammonia and methane must be silent?

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)