The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 18, 2020, 09:33:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 18, 2020, 09:33:05 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Jungian ideas  (Read 2059 times)
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm
United States United States

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Topic Start: September 20, 2010, 07:07:06 pm »

I was thinking a bit about Jung today, and even though he was a psychologist, what he said reaches into philosophy and religion. Every now and then someone here may reference something about Shadow People, but otherwise Jungian ideas seem to be a poor fit for many of the belief systems here. Does that sound accurate?

I was wondering what value you find in Jung's ideas of Collective Unconscious, arechetypes, etc, if any. Does any of it have meaning for you? Did it at one time, but no longer?

I am mostly asking those who are polytheist, especially hard polytheist, although of course any input is welcome!

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: September 20, 2010, 07:19:36 pm »

I was thinking a bit about Jung today, and even though he was a psychologist, what he said reaches into philosophy and religion. Every now and then someone here may reference something about Shadow People, but otherwise Jungian ideas seem to be a poor fit for many of the belief systems here. Does that sound accurate?

I was wondering what value you find in Jung's ideas of Collective Unconscious, arechetypes, etc, if any. Does any of it have meaning for you? Did it at one time, but no longer?

(note that when people mention Shadow People here, they are most likely talking about a paranormal phenomena.  I'm not quite sure how that related to the Shadow Archetype)

I'm a hard polytheist so I tend to view Jung's ideas as something that may be useful to those that believe them, but my gods would smack me if I even entertain the idea.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: September 21, 2010, 12:52:17 pm »

I am mostly asking those who are polytheist, especially hard polytheist, although of course any input is welcome!

I've used a lot of his ideas as starting places for Flamekeeping - there's a lot more I have NOT used, of course!  But there are bits and pieces that I've found very useful - most of all, the confronting one's own Shadow concept.

Not fond of his monomyth structure, but some of his ideas are .. interesting.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: September 21, 2010, 02:23:45 pm »

When I was doing research on the Traveller's Guide to the Duat, I read a couple of Jungian interpretations of the Amduat (including one written in collaboration with an Egyptologist).  I think that they were damned good.  That is, however, an extremely limited focus thing!

Entwife
Master Member
Last Login:February 24, 2015, 06:57:07 pm

Religion: Pagan (Ecclectic? Green? Something along those lines)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: September 26, 2010, 04:08:15 pm »

I think Jung was a rather wise individual with a lot to say that remains applicable and pertinent, although I doubt that I would claim he was 100 percent correct in everything he had to say... he was human and therefore falliable! lol I can also say though, that I have found his concept of "Shadow Self" relates very well to the Native American concept of some Totems being Shadow Totems; appearing specifically to help us break through our own Shadow Self to emerge enlightened, stronger, more perceptive.

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." ~ Voltaire
treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: September 28, 2010, 06:40:02 am »

When I was doing research on the Traveller's Guide to the Duat, I read a couple of Jungian interpretations of the Amduat (including one written in collaboration with an Egyptologist).  I think that they were damned good.  That is, however, an extremely limited focus thing!

Ooh references please?

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: September 28, 2010, 09:04:34 pm »

Ooh references please?

Um.  *digs up the Guide draft to just copy out of the bibliography*

Abt, Theodor and Hornung, Erik.  Knowledge for the Afterlife: The Egyptian Amduat - A Quest for Immortality.  Zurich: Living Human Heritage Publications, 2003.

Schweizer, Andreas.  The Sungod's Journey Through the Netherworld: Reading the Ancient Egyptian Amduat.  Ithaca, New York: Cornell University Press, 2010.

Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: September 28, 2010, 09:08:56 pm »

Ooh references please?

These books basically do a "descent into the underworld" read of the Amduat that can be interpreted as initiatory, psychological, mental healing, etc.  Since the text is initiatory - if nothing else, of the spirit of the dead who wishes to become Wesir, but I would be surprised if there were not mysteries apprehended by the living there - I think this is still respectful of the mythology.

Hell, "Ra is a symbol of your conscious awareness" is pretty much what all of the "I AM RA, DO WHAT I SAY" texts in Egyptian magic are doing.  So perhaps the idea that this is a functional approach is particularly suited to the weirdnesses of Egyptian magical practice.

treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: September 28, 2010, 11:23:38 pm »

These books basically do a "descent into the underworld" read of the Amduat that can be interpreted as initiatory, psychological, mental healing, etc. 

THANKS. Am very keen on this sort of initiatory reading...when I get round to it.  Smiley

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)