The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 06, 2022, 06:47:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2022, 06:47:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Stone age neopaganism?  (Read 3609 times)
SylphSpirit
Senior Newbie
Last Login:January 30, 2011, 09:33:46 pm
United States United States

Religion: Undecided

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: September 20, 2010, 08:07:57 pm »

I was wondering if there are any sort of stone age reconstructionist religions out there. I am not referring to Wicca.

-SylphSpirit

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #1: September 20, 2010, 08:11:28 pm »

I was wondering if there are any sort of stone age reconstructionist religions out there. I am not referring to Wicca.

-SylphSpirit

I would hope you're not referring to Wicca - it's hardly related to anything from the stone age. Wink

I think given the fact we have very little archaeological evidence surviving from that far back in human history, we know equally little about the culture and religion of people at that time. Any sort of reconstruction would therefore be impossible. We just don't have the puzzle pieces to reconstruct.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
SylphSpirit
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: September 20, 2010, 08:18:22 pm »

I would hope you're not referring to Wicca - it's hardly related to anything from the stone age. Wink

I think given the fact we have very little archaeological evidence surviving from that far back in human history, we know equally little about the culture and religion of people at that time. Any sort of reconstruction would therefore be impossible. We just don't have the puzzle pieces to reconstruct.

Yeah. Wicca is not reconstructionist. Some people get that wrong, though.

It's too bad we know so little, but I think we know enough to recreate a lot of it. So maybe a sort of religion based of of it?

-SylphSpirit
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #3: September 20, 2010, 08:32:10 pm »

-SylphSpirit

You may want to look into those who are trying to reconstruct the Proto-Indo-European religions. At this point it's mostly a matter of figuring out what we know of the Indo-Europeans, and tracing back the commonalities. It will probably be a long while before there is a workable system though, if that's EVER possible -- right now it's primarily an intellectual/archaeological exercise.

You may also wish to look at the beliefs and practices of animist cultures that still exist, such as the Aboriginal Australians.

Neither of those is "stone age," but right now I doubt that's something you can pursue except theoretically.

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: September 20, 2010, 09:12:18 pm »

In Hindusim class we've tried to trace the roots of the religion back as far as possible. Prior to the Aryans' arrival (an Indo-European culture) were a Dravidian culture that we know at least a little about. (Animistic religion, women may have played a more egalitarian role than in the incoming IE culture, the beginning practices that would later develop into the various schools of yoga, etc.)

You might in some cases be able to discover traces of older cultures, but we don't have the data to say anything definitively about most Stone Age cultures, much less Stone Age culture in general.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
gorm_sionnach
Journeyman
Last Login:January 14, 2011, 11:19:41 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Fálachus, Gaelic Reconstructionist Polytheist

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: September 20, 2010, 10:31:07 pm »

In Hindusim class we've tried to trace the roots of the religion back as far as possible. Prior to the Aryans' arrival (an Indo-European culture) were a Dravidian culture that we know at least a little about. (Animistic religion, women may have played a more egalitarian role than in the incoming IE culture, the beginning practices that would later develop into the various schools of yoga, etc.)

You might in some cases be able to discover traces of older cultures, but we don't have the data to say anything definitively about most Stone Age cultures, much less Stone Age culture in general.

Most theories on paleolithic religion is based on inference from archeological remains and comparison with indigenous tribal religious groups, so far as I have seen. A lot of assertion, and little known fact.

Due civility never broke a mans head, and great is the pity to be at any time without it.

Have a gander at my blog: Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #6: September 21, 2010, 03:42:51 am »

It's too bad we know so little, but I think we know enough to recreate a lot of it.

Actually, no.
There are archaeological findings.

From those one may reconstruct with some degree of certainty what food stone age folks ate, what diseases they had, what age they could reach, how they made housing and so on.

One can even assume that they might have believed in some kind of afterlife, due to the way they buried their dead.
But there starts the guesswork.

I guess the problem is, that a lot of archaeologists let themselves be carried away with that guesswork and some ideas sunk into popular believe.

That doesnt mean, you cant take the findings and invent something for yourself that works just wonderfully.
And it does not mean that this isnt a valid path then. But it is hardly reconstructed or recreated.

Here is something you could do.
First decide what period of the stone age you are interested in (and what you are looking for in religion in detail.)

Then look into modern "stone age" cultures. Some survived til the last century (the ones still existing, have not yet had the doubtful pleasure of meeting us.) Still you might find it difficult because all the records are made from a ethnologist pov.
And it is known that sometimes the ethnologists legs were pulled by indigenous people, so even that source provides no total certainty.

I am not trying to be a killjoy here, I just want to note, that if you come across someone claiming to have a (original) stone age related religion, they made it up. And that is something you might as well do for yourself, that is the best customizing anyway. Wink

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
SylphSpirit
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: September 21, 2010, 01:45:27 pm »

Actually, no.
There are archaeological findings.

From those one may reconstruct with some degree of certainty what food stone age folks ate, what diseases they had, what age they could reach, how they made housing and so on.

One can even assume that they might have believed in some kind of afterlife, due to the way they buried their dead.
But there starts the guesswork.

I guess the problem is, that a lot of archaeologists let themselves be carried away with that guesswork and some ideas sunk into popular believe.

That doesnt mean, you cant take the findings and invent something for yourself that works just wonderfully.
And it does not mean that this isnt a valid path then. But it is hardly reconstructed or recreated.

Here is something you could do.
First decide what period of the stone age you are interested in (and what you are looking for in religion in detail.)

Then look into modern "stone age" cultures. Some survived til the last century (the ones still existing, have not yet had the doubtful pleasure of meeting us.) Still you might find it difficult because all the records are made from a ethnologist pov.
And it is known that sometimes the ethnologists legs were pulled by indigenous people, so even that source provides no total certainty.

I am not trying to be a killjoy here, I just want to note, that if you come across someone claiming to have a (original) stone age related religion, they made it up. And that is something you might as well do for yourself, that is the best customizing anyway. Wink

Yes, that was what I was thinking, a religion based off of Stone Age culture, but not exactly reconstructionist because of the lack of definite findings. You were not at all killjoy. In fact, you stated exactly what I was thinking! Smiley

-SylphSpirit
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: September 21, 2010, 02:05:23 pm »

Yes, that was what I was thinking, a religion based off of Stone Age culture, but not exactly reconstructionist because of the lack of definite findings. You were not at all killjoy. In fact, you stated exactly what I was thinking! Smiley

-SylphSpirit

Out of curiosity, what's peaked your interest about the Stone Age, and which culture were you looking at in particular?

SylphSpirit
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: September 21, 2010, 02:15:16 pm »

Out of curiosity, what's peaked your interest about the Stone Age, and which culture were you looking at in particular?

I've always felt connected to the Stone Age, since I was very little. A lot of what is thought to be part of their religion fits my beliefs well...Everything is through will mostly, Animals are Equal...even higher up in some regards, A lot of the shamanism and animism. Many Gods, many Spirits. So on. I was looking into the Mesolithic and Neolithic, but have not found much specifics regarding those...

I still feel very drawn to Slavic Paganism, however, and have by no means abandoned that as a possible path as well.

-SylphSpirit

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: September 22, 2010, 12:28:17 am »

You may want to look into those who are trying to reconstruct the Proto-Indo-European religions.

If this is interesting to you, you might find this website and this book useful.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)