The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 20, 2020, 10:24:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2020, 10:24:53 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Randall and Lyric's renovation  (Read 23122 times)
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm
United States United States

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: September 20, 2010, 08:23:35 pm »

The kitchen this morning before things got wild and wooly.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: September 20, 2010, 08:26:25 pm »

The kitchen this afternoon after the shitty white Formica came off.

The remaining plywood countertop and sink will come out tomorrow. I swap out an old plug under the sink, and my dad will come over and we'll move the disposal switch from under the sink up onto the backsplash. We'll also install a new outlet on the left side of the sink.

The new counters will be here on Wednesday. Until then...no water in the kitchen.

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:August 04, 2020, 12:00:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: September 20, 2010, 09:42:06 pm »

I have to say that the old Formica is in remarkably good condition considering the age you cited for it in the other thread.  I've seen far worse in far newer.  Not saying it's not shitty, mind you, just that I can see why it was something you could stand postponing.

I'm looking forward with interest to watching this progress.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: September 20, 2010, 09:46:31 pm »

The kitchen this morning before things got wild and wooly.

Far more wild and wooly than we expected.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: September 20, 2010, 10:05:55 pm »

I have to say that the old Formica is in remarkably good condition considering the age you cited for it in the other thread.  I've seen far worse in far newer.  Not saying it's not shitty, mind you, just that I can see why it was something you could stand postponing.

I'm looking forward with interest to watching this progress.

Sunflower

What was really bad about it (besides why anyone would EVER put white Formica in the kitchen) was that the finish had worn off so much you had to bleach it to get stains out (say a couple of drops of red wine hit it) and the glue had failed in really weird places to go along with the placed you'd expect.

I will say this, seeing what's now the "backsplash" is going to push me to make a decision I've been putting off. I've got glass mosaic tile going behind the cooktop and the small splash area next to it, but the entire sink side is up in the air. I keep leaning towards beadboard laid on the horizontal, but until the counters get in, it's really hard to visualize anything there.

Painting those cabinets will be a bitch, but fortunately a lot of it can be done in the garage provided it doesn't get too cold. I've already got the paint, so it will just be sweat equity involved. There will be a lot of cleaning and filling and sanding and priming before I can do much, but that will be an improvement on its on. I can't wait to have to doors off my cabinets for months. **sigh**

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: September 20, 2010, 10:07:00 pm »

Far more wild and wooly than we expected.
Yeah. I REALLY wasn't expecting that plywood to be nailed down to the base cabinets. Why they couldn't have used screws like normal people is beyond me.

Sine Silvering
Board Staff
Master Member
Last Login:February 20, 2011, 01:32:14 pm

Religion: priestess, Gardnerian Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: September 20, 2010, 10:17:14 pm »

Yeah. I REALLY wasn't expecting that plywood to be nailed down to the base cabinets. Why they couldn't have used screws like normal people is beyond me.

Because that would have made sense!

Ever seen the show "Holmes on Homes" on HGTV?   All kinds of renovation nightmares fixed by the big blond Canadian who "makes it right."

--------------
Blesséd Be!

When men speak ill of thee, live so as no one will believe them.
---Old Farmers Almanac, 1832
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: September 20, 2010, 10:25:14 pm »

Because that would have made sense!

Ever seen the show "Holmes on Homes" on HGTV?   All kinds of renovation nightmares fixed by the big blond Canadian who "makes it right."

Well, the guy who built this house was a very good builder (my dad knew him), and he used quality goods (these cabinets are solid birch with steel insets in the top/bottom of the doors) made in North Carolina in the late 50s early 60s. And the counters were glued (OBVIOUSLY!) to very good 3/4" plywood. But why they were nailed is something I'll never understand. And I mean WELL nailed...like every 8 inches or so. I mean, that plywood isn't going ANYWHERE...which is one reason we're really not looking forward to taking the other side off.

Dragondaughter
Adept Member
Last Login:November 18, 2011, 01:40:56 am

Religion: Work in progress, seasoned with insanity..

How do I get there from here?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: September 20, 2010, 11:09:41 pm »

Easiest way to take them off would be to get about a 3# sledge and hit them up from underneath. That's what my Dad and I did last summer when we redid the counter tops in his house. You could have done that without taking the Formica off first as well. Nails were used most of the time in older houses. Smiley

Practicing...? No, experiencing Spiritual ADD for 20+ years...yeah that's it... sigh. Wink

"To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond." Hypatia of Alexandria
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: September 21, 2010, 08:05:55 am »

Easiest way to take them off would be to get about a 3# sledge and hit them up from underneath. That's what my Dad and I did last summer when we redid the counter tops in his house. You could have done that without taking the Formica off first as well. Nails were used most of the time in older houses. Smiley

The problem we're running into is lack of work room. We had to be careful on the cooktop side coming at it from underneath, but the sink side is more limited in space. Of course getting the sink out will help, but I'll be doing that and I have to be awake enough to do it. That will be the first project this morning. Fortunately, too, it's two pieces since that's a 10 foot run. That will help.

The Formica had to come off so we could actually get a grip on the plywood. With the adhesive failing it was really interfering with our hold (not to mention ability to see what was going on). And beside, there was something REALLY satisfying about pulling that crap off, plus it had to come off the backsplash anyway.  Grin

Dragondaughter
Adept Member
Last Login:November 18, 2011, 01:40:56 am

Religion: Work in progress, seasoned with insanity..

How do I get there from here?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: September 21, 2010, 08:27:11 am »

The problem we're running into is lack of work room. We had to be careful on the cooktop side coming at it from underneath, but the sink side is more limited in space. Of course getting the sink out will help, but I'll be doing that and I have to be awake enough to do it. That will be the first project this morning. Fortunately, too, it's two pieces since that's a 10 foot run. That will help.

The Formica had to come off so we could actually get a grip on the plywood. With the adhesive failing it was really interfering with our hold (not to mention ability to see what was going on). And beside, there was something REALLY satisfying about pulling that crap off, plus it had to come off the backsplash anyway.  Grin

LOL! Yeah, there is something to be said about ripping stuff apart. Wink A good crowbar or flat bar (what Dad calls them... not sure what the actual name is...) helps with taking the top off. Dad told me that sometimes cabinets will spring when you take the top off so making sure it's square before you put the new one on will save you a lot of headaches later. Smiley

At anytime I become annoying, let me know, lol!!!

Practicing...? No, experiencing Spiritual ADD for 20+ years...yeah that's it... sigh. Wink

"To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond." Hypatia of Alexandria
stephyjh
Master Member
Last Login:October 01, 2013, 01:56:16 am
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Celtic polytheist with Native American influences
TCN ID: stephyjh

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: September 21, 2010, 01:15:26 pm »

Could be worse. A few years ago, my grandparents were working on a house they were flipping, and there was a kitchen island that didn't make sense and was just taking up space. And it wasn't going ANYWHERE. We tried crowbars, sledgehammers, the works, and just couldn't get it out of there. So Grandma ended up using a chainsaw. I still laugh at that memory, but she wasn't amused at the time.

WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: September 21, 2010, 09:03:48 pm »

What color are you going to put in?  Looking forward to pix. Smiley

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: September 21, 2010, 09:13:31 pm »

Cast iron sinks made in the late 50s weigh about 100-115 pounds.

And they tend to fall to the cabinet floor if not braced by rope and a landscape timber.

Two hours and three people (Randall, me and my dad) finally got the thing on my crate dolly and out into the garage.

At least then my dad was able to put in a new outlet, rough in for a new switch, second outlet and decide that the kitchen REALLY needed some wiring help...something we'll see if we can't do later. For now he'll wire it back up the way it was, and talk to a friend of his who can get up in the attic and pull some wire once it cools down.

At least we're on target. The sink is gone. The plywood is gone. The counters come in in the morning and my dad will come back over to finish the electrical work. Randall and I will reinstall the cooktop and put the new sink/faucet and disposal in on Thursday morning

All I can say is it is so wonderful to have a master electrician in the family. This would not have gotten done without my dad.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: September 22, 2010, 07:51:51 am »

Two hours and three people (Randall, me and my dad) finally got the thing on my crate dolly and out into the garage.

Two people to lift and one person to push the sink onto the old countertop. Once we got rope around both sided of the sink it wasn't so bad.

All I can say is it is so wonderful to have a master electrician in the family. This would not have gotten done without my dad.

It's a shame he didn't wire this house when it was built. I get the impression he's really not impressed with the person who did it -- and the "shortcuts" he would take.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)