The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 20, 2020, 09:46:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2020, 09:46:09 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Randall and Lyric's renovation  (Read 23120 times)
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm
United States United States

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: September 22, 2010, 08:21:53 am »

It's a shame he didn't wire this house when it was built. I get the impression he's really not impressed with the person who did it -- and the "shortcuts" he would take.

No he's not. He's mentioned it more than once.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Dragondaughter
Adept Member
Last Login:November 18, 2011, 01:40:56 am

Religion: Work in progress, seasoned with insanity..

How do I get there from here?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: September 22, 2010, 09:29:50 am »

No he's not. He's mentioned it more than once.

Wow..... Your Dad sounds just like mine, LOL! I've listened to my Dad bitch about other people's carpentry "skills" during remodels for many, many years. Wink

Practicing...? No, experiencing Spiritual ADD for 20+ years...yeah that's it... sigh. Wink

"To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond." Hypatia of Alexandria
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: September 22, 2010, 10:43:48 am »

Wow..... Your Dad sounds just like mine, LOL! I've listened to my Dad bitch about other people's carpentry "skills" during remodels for many, many years. Wink

Yeah. He was a master electrician for 35 years, and really knows what he's doing. And if he doesn't know, he knows the people who do...which is damned near as important.

When he and my mom were married, they'd buy a house, remodel it and sell it the next year for a tidy profit. This was back in the 60s and 70s before flipping houses was even really thought about. Course, it finally set them up for a divorce and I lived in 11 houses in 13 years in a small town. LOL

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: September 22, 2010, 10:45:40 am »

And the counters are in. Took the guy 15 minutes and he said he wished they were all this easy. LOL

ThtreLady
Journeyman
Last Login:July 20, 2011, 05:49:34 pm

Religion: Celtic Seeker

Blog entries (0)

thtrelady

Ignore
« Reply #19: September 22, 2010, 02:16:13 pm »

And the counters are in. Took the guy 15 minutes and he said he wished they were all this easy. LOL

Love it. Those are really nice looking and a huge improvement.  I'm sort of looking forward to working on the house (should we ever manage to actually CLOSE on the damned thing) and sort of scared to learn what's really inside the walls.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: September 22, 2010, 02:32:52 pm »

Love it. Those are really nice looking and a huge improvement.  I'm sort of looking forward to working on the house (should we ever manage to actually CLOSE on the damned thing) and sort of scared to learn what's really inside the walls.

It's those surprises that are so unpleasant. And I think it's safe to bank on at least one happening every single time you tackle a project. That and multiple trips to the home center.

Caroline
Master Member
Last Login:October 07, 2011, 11:24:24 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: September 22, 2010, 05:21:09 pm »

Oh, those are *real* nice. (wish I was getting pretty counters instead of a new furnace. but I'll be glad of it come the freeze, I know!)

I'm glad the installation went so well; usually its the installation, not the demolition, that takes the longest!
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: September 22, 2010, 05:57:51 pm »

Oh, those are *real* nice. (wish I was getting pretty counters instead of a new furnace. but I'll be glad of it come the freeze, I know!)

I'm glad the installation went so well; usually its the installation, not the demolition, that takes the longest!

Unfortunately the electrical work didn't get done today. My dad wasn't feeling well, and told me he'd be here around 10 tomorrow morning. I hope so because I can't get the sink in until he gets the outlet done. No water and no power. Hopefully tomorrow. (The cooktop is in, though, and the sink is sitting in the hole, so at least I have the *illusion* of a kitchen. LOL)

WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: September 23, 2010, 07:28:52 pm »

Ah, my question is answered.  That adds some nice depth to the place.  Or at least some character.  My apartment has white Formica but I'm just glad to have my own kitchen. Cheesy

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: September 23, 2010, 10:02:08 pm »

Ah, my question is answered.  That adds some nice depth to the place.  Or at least some character.  My apartment has white Formica but I'm just glad to have my own kitchen. Cheesy

Well, you have the advantage over most people here in that you've actually been in my kitchen. Smiley

I know when I came back after spending a few weeks in Dallas this spring, I walked in and white counters nearly blinded me. I had gotten so used to not seeing them that I was really disoriented when I'd walk in the kitchen. Took a couple of days to get over.

Now I want to run out and grab the paint and get rid of the brown cabinets. Must. Wait. LOL

WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: September 24, 2010, 08:04:22 pm »

Now I want to run out and grab the paint and get rid of the brown cabinets. Must. Wait. LOL

If you want them darker it might be better to just stain them and keep the grain.  If you want them lighter - oh well!

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #26: September 24, 2010, 08:35:48 pm »

If you want them darker it might be better to just stain them and keep the grain.  If you want them lighter - oh well!

Nah. I want a different color entirely. Smiley

That said, I've got the paint to do it, but it's going to have to wait until it cools off enough for me to work in the garage. This is oil-based paint, and the doors and drawers will have to come out and be painted out there. Obviously the boxes themselves are done in place, but the temperature has to be bearable out there before I can do much of anything. Course, first I have to finish painting the living room before I tackle the cabinets.

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #27: September 25, 2010, 06:04:52 pm »

OK. A little more than five hours later, and the sink, disposal and faucet are in. And don't let anyone tell you installing a sink is easy. The clips that are used to hold the sink down to the counter are an absolutely, positively poorly designed bitch. This is not a cheap sink, so I have no idea if they're worse if you spend less or as bad if you spend more. This is a Kohler, but the clips SOOOOO suck.

Anyway, that aside, the sink is in. The disposal is in. The faucet is in (albeit there's a learning curve with a pull down faucet that I hadn't anticipated) and the dishwasher is hooked up.

And I am THRILLED with the way this looks...part of it may be that it's taken six days, but I don't think that's much of it. It's a vast improvement over what was here.

Next week the glass mosaic tile goes in behind the cooktop. That will be the next set of pictures, I'm sure. We'll pick up the beadboard early in the week, and I'll spend a week painting it. It probably won't go up until the first part of October, and I"ll post pics. At that point, there will be a break until probably the first of the year.

WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: September 28, 2010, 03:29:20 pm »

My inner decorator is jealous of your sink. Cheesy

Now I understand why the cabinets need to be painted.  You might want to change the knobs, too.

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #29: September 28, 2010, 05:08:37 pm »

My inner decorator is jealous of your sink. Cheesy

Now I understand why the cabinets need to be painted.  You might want to change the knobs, too.

There are 27 of the little fuckers. They're staying. LOL

I'd love to change both them and the hinges, but, alas, I'd have to experience another windfall. And because of the style of the hinges, they would have to be changed when then knobs were. Fortunately, though, they'll come off and be cleaned, and I think with the colors of the cabinets, they'll look OK. Not great, but OK.

The sink is great. The faucet is great, too. But there's a major learning curve with pull down faucets. I never expected that.

The problem that I'm really having is I would so like my ideal kitchen. Unfortunately, it's somewhere in a ritzy apartment in Manhattan, not in a 2 bedroom 1960s ranch in Waco, Texas. I've had the hardest time trying to keep in mind what this house is because it's NOT the style I would like.

The tile goes in behind the cooktop on Saturday (I'll probably post pics on Monday because it takes two days). I'll head to the home center on Monday and get the beadboard and get it cut. It will get painted next week and then should go up next weekend.

And that will be about all for the kitchen until after Christmas. I need to finish painting the living room in the next two weeks because I need to go up to Dallas for a week or so. After Christmas I can start the cabinets and boy is THAT going to be a pain in the ass.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)