The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 30, 2020, 09:13:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 30, 2020, 09:13:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Local Spirit Names?  (Read 8590 times)
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am
United States United States

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #15: September 27, 2010, 06:06:12 pm »

The trees around the university are much more...awake than I've ever encountered. 

I get something like that where things will tell me what they are - it's actually one of my favorite games when out and about.

The problem is, trees don't read and they don't call themselves 'dogwood' or 'fir' unless they've heard themselves referred to as such by another human.  When you get bits that ping you with random bits of info, even when it's unclear at first, I take it as an attempt at communication.  They are trying to speak human to you in the few words they have.  Makes sense that trees in a public setting - especially in an area where they would be identified by name, by many different people would be pretty chatty.

If something has never called itself anything, it might be an odd question when you ask it what to call it.  A latter thought on the topic, maybe that's part of the issue.  The spirits in question have never been 'named' outside of how rocks assert themselves against things - which probably isn't easily put into words.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #16: September 27, 2010, 06:12:15 pm »

There are two spirits in particular that I've been trying to connect with, and they are very local- they're both in the backyard of my parents' house, where I've lived for 18 years. They aren't really spirits of place- one is the maple tree, and one is a very large slab of rock that they pulled up when they dug the house's basement, which we use as the back porch.

I think part of the problem is the way I envision land spirits- I don't think in terms of the local animals (I honor them separately) but something more akin to the Irish sidhe or the Greek nymph. That could certainly be part of the dissonance.

Does your family have a description that's usually used when referring to the rock?  It might recognize and respond to that until you get the rapport going and you come up with something you both like.

Is it big enough to lay on?  We had a bit of a large rock at the surface of the ground under a mulberry tree when I was a kid an it was a nice rock.  It was a fully sensory interaction though.  As a kid you have more liberty to go out and roll around on the rock, lick the rock, scratch the rock sleep on the rock than you do as an adult without getting funny looks though.  There was no formal title.  I don't think I ever thought of it as anything more than my nice rock, but it was a window rock.  By laying on it, it sort of acted like a carrot.  The top told you about what was underneath.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: September 27, 2010, 07:19:38 pm »

I was wondering if anyone here had some experience to share or advice to give: working with different spirits is an important part of my path, but there's one group of spirits that I find myself constantly neglecting- my local land spirits. And I know precisely why they've been so neglected, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to rectify it: I don't know their names.

Mine have no names.  I don't think they feel neglected, but that may be because I suspect they're only tangentially aware of me.  When they do seem to communicate, it's all muddled and weird and makes me feel kinda ooky. 

Personally, I think they're beyond names.  They're not really "here", so except for food offerings (which they may or may not appreciate, but it makes me feel better), I try not to treat them as if they are.

Brina
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: September 27, 2010, 07:21:05 pm »

Honestly, I just call them "the land-wights".  Which I don't think helps you much.

I refer to mine as "the locals"...

Brina
Go
Journeyman
Last Login:May 30, 2011, 10:32:23 pm

Religion: A Process

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: September 27, 2010, 08:09:46 pm »

So my questions: have any of you ever encountered this problem? If you have names for local spirits, how did you find them? What do you do when nothing feels right?

Where I live I mostly talk to the roads, and I call them by their current names.  The same goes for the parks, bridges, ponds, etc.  If I know the current given name of the place I call it that, otherwise I go by type or physical description.  For example, Big Old Tree or Grassy Clearing.  That always seems to get the point across.

Measure twice, cut once, and buy extra material anyway.
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: September 27, 2010, 10:26:50 pm »

So my questions: have any of you ever encountered this problem? If you have names for local spirits, how did you find them? What do you do when nothing feels right?

Addendum for my previous post - I will sometimes call the spirits of a place just by the name of the place. So, just speaking to "Chicago", for example. Sometimes I'll also come up with epithets.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: September 27, 2010, 10:45:22 pm »

Mine have no names.  I don't think they feel neglected, but that may be because I suspect they're only tangentially aware of me.  When they do seem to communicate, it's all muddled and weird and makes me feel kinda ooky. 

Personally, I think they're beyond names.  They're not really "here", so except for food offerings (which they may or may not appreciate, but it makes me feel better), I try not to treat them as if they are.

I've been trying to figure out how to describe my experience, and this does a better job than I could have.

I've lived in the same house for my entire life, except for the five years just after I was married.  We have an acre of land around our house and I've spent SO much time there over the years.  So, I'd expect to have some kind of at least passing familiarity with the immediately local spirits. 

I've got nothing.

If there are any here, I don't think they care much (or are aware?) about the humans.

I had a major physical injury in the backyard when I was 8.  I got married in the backyard.  We've buried beloved family pets in the backyard.  I would have thought there would have been enough emotional energy out out there to make some kind of impact.   Undecided

Oh, well...

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Kaisa
Apprentice
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 02:57:43 am

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: November 26, 2010, 02:38:28 pm »

I live in a medium-sized city, and I find the idea of local land/place spirits in urban areas interesting. Does anyone know any resources that talk more about urban land spirits? How to find them, where they live, ect?

There is a book, though fictional, called Changeling, which deals with this topic a lot. It takes place in NYC and there are a varied number of "Genius Loci" (the term used in the book) and as long as someplace "has been believed in enough, for long enough" it will have one. (Central Park, the NY Public Library, Wall Street, The Metropolitan, Broadway and the Hudson all have them in the book, and the Genius Loci of the Plaza Hotel is interestingly enough, a slightly warped version of Eloise.) They all had different names, and I can't recall them all, but it's no scholarly work, but is a very interesting speculation, and also deals with a lot of other more minor guardian spirits. (Plus it's a good read. Smiley )
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: November 26, 2010, 11:17:53 pm »

There is a book, though fictional, called Changeling, which deals with this topic a lot. It takes place in NYC and there are a varied number of "Genius Loci" (the term used in the book) and as long as someplace "has been believed in enough, for long enough" it will have one. (Central Park, the NY Public Library, Wall Street, The Metropolitan, Broadway and the Hudson all have them in the book, and the Genius Loci of the Plaza Hotel is interestingly enough, a slightly warped version of Eloise.)

I totally believe it, at least for Central Park and the Hudson.

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #24: November 27, 2010, 04:16:06 am »

Interesting question, I've never really thought about that or reflected much about how I communicate with local spirits. Maybe my approach is a bit naive, I don't know. I connect to them since I was kid. Usually I just adress the place with a generic name if there isn't any specific local name. I mostly say 'spirits of the forest', sometimes I'd use the specific local name when it feels fitting.

If I'm in a new place I take my time to get to know it. I take walks and (silently) greet trees, plants and animals to connect to them. ('Hi beech tree, hi black bird, etc.') Of course I don't do this with every plant and animal. There are some I already have a relationship to so the greeting is more cordially here ('hi holly, you here too!') and some I just don't really connect to so I don't greet them.

If something strikes my interest, but I don't know any name I go by 'Hi bush/tree/bird, who are you?' I can't remember ever getting a name out of that, mostly I get impressions of its energy and 'like'/'don't like' impressions.

I often find that there's kind of a domineering spirit of a place. For example if there's a lot of beech trees the forest has a different spirit than if there's a lot of pines. I also find that the earth everything grows on has its own spirit. Clay is different from sand for example. I try to get to know of what the spirit of the place is made and try to connect to the major characteristics of the area.

I feel that the connection grows a lot over times, especially if I visit the same area regularly. I get so used to the feeling of a specific place that I really miss it when I move away. I remember how I felt like none of the trees were talking to me when I moved across the country two years ago. But now I feel more familiar and aligned to them and feel that they greet back.

I'm not sure I've really answered your question. But it's good to exchange experiences about this, I haven't seen many threads about the spirits of places.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Syncearae
Journeyman
Last Login:October 15, 2012, 12:47:57 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan with Native American beliefs

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: December 01, 2010, 08:18:59 pm »

If something strikes my interest, but I don't know any name I go by 'Hi bush/tree/bird, who are you?' I can't remember ever getting a name out of that, mostly I get impressions of its energy and 'like'/'don't like' impressions.

When I communicate with things that can not verbalize I try to communicate the way they do. With the land and the plants I find that they most often don't have a verbal name that they use unless they are trying to get your focus. With the land I call the spirits by going into a deep meditation and visualizing evrything about that place and energetically express my yearning to communicate. They usually pay attention. If you have a really strong relationship with a place it's name can be the nonverbal energies that you feel with it. Also each energy has a resonance and a sound so if you must verbalize or have a name listen to the sound and the subtle energies the place produces and find the letters that produce those sounds or close to it and have that as the name. Ask the spirit(s) of that place if they like it and if they do then you got it.

For example, the name of a place I meditate with often is Unnummzee, They are the patch of grass by my garage.
I know my way is a little differnt but I hope it helps.

Balance that is unbalanced to maintain balance.
Life is what you make yourself (into).
flower
Senior Newbie
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 01:06:19 am

Religion: eclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: December 02, 2010, 09:50:55 pm »

I've asked. The responses I've gotten have ranged from confusion to bemusement, and the general sense I get is "call us whatever you want." I've tried this, and either I find an "ancient" sounding name that makes me feel silly and doesn't sound right, or I find a modern (or modern-ish) name that makes me feel silly and doesn't sound right. Names are really important to me- having a name is, for me, inherent recognition of importance and significance, and this plug-n-play usename thing just doesn't work for me.

In my experience some spirits feel that their name is a very personal thing to give out so they are a little paranoid about it because of their own previous experiences. I have had it explained to me that it can be dangerous for them because when someone/thing knows their true name, it can be used against them. (whether that means that someone else is misusing their name by throwing it out there when s/he shouldn't, or constantly calling upon them when they have other things that they should be doing, not really sure, those are my assumptions.). As a result some spirits have multiple names (some of them ancient, and some of them modern), and as you get to know them better, and build more of a relationship and trust, they may reveal different names to you. So if they tell you to call them what ever you want, just go with it and they may reveal something to you later in the future.

Some get tired of people not not being able to pronounce their names or just want to stay up with the times, so they take on a more modern sounding name that can also be similar to their original. 

If you feel that you are pronouncing a name incorrectly and that is why it seems silly, think of all the ways that you could pronounce it and just ask if you are saying it right, or ask of the can audibly pronounce it for you.    Wink

Hope this helps!
Syncearae
Journeyman
Last Login:October 15, 2012, 12:47:57 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan with Native American beliefs

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: December 02, 2010, 10:55:01 pm »

As a result some spirits have multiple names (some of them ancient, and some of them modern), and as you get to know them better, and build more of a relationship and trust, they may reveal different names to you.

You make a good point about names. This is why the spirits and I choose a nickname for them based on the vocalization of the energy our relationship. When the relationship has grown signifigantly the name changes. They like this because they answer if I call them, instead of someone trying to use the nickname. I only use thier true name if they ask me to or in silent communication. When I use that type of name I charge it with energy they like too.

Balance that is unbalanced to maintain balance.
Life is what you make yourself (into).

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)