The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 06, 2021, 11:20:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2021, 11:20:58 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Relationships with the Gods?  (Read 13921 times)
Castus
Journeyman
Last Login:March 05, 2018, 12:05:21 pm
United States United States

Religion: Theism

Caesar's Luck!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: September 24, 2010, 06:47:55 pm »

So, I've been reading on this forum, and I've noticed something. I keep seeing references to people having Gods "approach" them. This is inconceivable. I just don't get how one can meet, speak to, be approached by, the gods. I mean, they're deities, above human scope. It might be jealousy, but can someone explain this?

Fides est tamen a impeditio ut Monastica. Filiolus es commodo per vestri factum quod illud factum vadum planto vos notus unto lemma, quod exsisto impleo per vita.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #1: September 24, 2010, 07:43:25 pm »

So, I've been reading on this forum, and I've noticed something. I keep seeing references to people having Gods "approach" them. This is inconceivable. I just don't get how one can meet, speak to, be approached by, the gods. I mean, they're deities, above human scope. It might be jealousy, but can someone explain this?

It's not as though we meet at the coffee shop and chat over a warm cuppa. What these people are talking about is how a specific deity has made overtures to them in various ways so as to be worshiped by said person. In return, we are taken care of in general ways and we're given the protective feeling of always being watched over. It aids in our spiritual growth and amongst other things, (and IMHO) makes us feel special.

How deities approach people is entirely specific to the person and the deity. How long it takes to realize that a god or goddess is trying to get your attention depends upon the person, their knowledge, and the deity in question. If/When you get thwapped (that's when a god decides to patron you), you'll know it.

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #2: September 24, 2010, 07:48:27 pm »

I don't consider my deities outside human scope. In fact, I view my deities in very similar terms as I do my human friends. It's not a superiority-inferiority relationship - it's one between friends, or mentors and mentees.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #3: September 24, 2010, 07:51:48 pm »

In many cultures, historically Gods have always gotten involved with people.

It just never seems to have worked out that well for the specific people involved most of the time.

Maybe things are different now?

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: September 24, 2010, 07:56:18 pm »

It just never seems to have worked out that well for the specific people involved most of the time.

Absent

God, I hope so. Otherwise I'd be a tad more worried with Pan as a patron. Wink

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Castus
Journeyman
Last Login:March 05, 2018, 12:05:21 pm

Religion: Theism

Caesar's Luck!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: September 24, 2010, 08:23:14 pm »

Sorry if this was a stupid question, I was just kinda confused. It makes more sense now.
Thanks for the help.

Fides est tamen a impeditio ut Monastica. Filiolus es commodo per vestri factum quod illud factum vadum planto vos notus unto lemma, quod exsisto impleo per vita.
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: September 24, 2010, 08:25:42 pm »

Sorry if this was a stupid question, I was just kinda confused. It makes more sense now.
Thanks for the help.

Only dumb question is the one that goes unasked. Figuring out the nature of deity/deities can be tricky, and a lot of people can approach it from different ways.

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:May 05, 2021, 06:20:17 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: September 24, 2010, 11:36:51 pm »

Or maybe it's just that, when it goes reasonably well, it doesn't make as good a story.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: September 25, 2010, 12:19:41 am »

I just don't get how one can meet, speak to, be approached by, the gods. I mean, they're deities, above human scope. It might be jealousy, but can someone explain this?

There are a number of stories posted here on TC by people who have experienced this.  I'd suggest reading through some of the threads in the Gods and Goddesses folder, for starters.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: September 25, 2010, 12:35:00 am »

Or maybe it's just that, when it goes reasonably well, it doesn't make as good a story.

I'd put a vote in for this one.  We have a bit of Egyptian text in which a guy talks about how Hetharu visited him in a dream, and he refers to Her by a familiar name and otherwise seems to have an active, possibly ecstatic relationship with Her.  (Ordinary guy, not a king or anything.  Relationships between royalty and gods are a dime a dozen in AE.)

No oh-the-drama to the guy, just a lot of YAY BEAUTIFUL LADY.

And it's a story to us moderns only because that sort of stuff doesn't get written down a lot.

IHeartMetal
Senior Newbie
Last Login:April 11, 2011, 09:16:34 pm

Religion: Agnostic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: September 26, 2010, 08:42:51 pm »

I completely understand where you are coming from. I still don't understand it fully myself. Over many months I did not know how to go about "approaching" a deity or initiating some sort of relationship with one. Then Hecate and Diana came to me in a dream. It was not a oh wow, I just had a conversation with a deity kind of thing. It was more.. normal. I guess sometimes we have to be patient. I'm still new to my path and would not say I have a relationship with Hecate or Diana, but I think I can better understand what people mean by getting approached now.
Vella Malachite
Master Member
Last Login:July 31, 2011, 03:27:04 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Irish Celtic Reconstructionist

Never underestimate carefully worded nonsense.

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #11: September 29, 2010, 12:08:22 am »

I had exactly the same problem  Cheesy .  I've always had a really weird sense of hierarchy, so it took a long time for me to adjust to the fact that, yes, I can just ask a higher being if they'd like a cookie, since I have some nice, fresh-baked ones handy, or just say "I'm having a problem, do you mind listening".  And from that, as well, there was this whole feeling of "why would they want to listen to me?  Surely they've got better things to do?"  I'm still getting over that, actually.

I think it was put best by...HeartShadow?  Or was it Juni?  Please tell me if I've misattributed - that many of the gods come from boasting cultures.  If you talked to someone who was very important, you had to tell them how 'rad and awesome' you were so that they'd know why they were bothering to talk to you.  Now, this may not apply exactly, but I find it useful to think about.  Why would the gods want to try to help someone who wasn't willing to try and help themselves?  I think they like us to stand on our own two feet a bit.  It may seem weird, but in the end, it's like talking to a teacher.  As someone who has happily held conversations with any and all teachers, no matter how uncool it was, I can tell you that you get so much more if you talk to them, yes, like they're superior to you, but also like they are friends.  I don't know the word to describe it.  But some of the times when I've learnt the most from my teachers was when I walked up and asked them about something random, and half an hour later, I had about three pages of calculations on infinite numbers, plus a book recommendation and instructions to find out more about a particular theory on my own and come back and tell them what I'd found.  Same with the gods.  If you just do what they ask everyone to do, then you don't get as much as if you try and connect even further, and then you can also ask them for things with more confidence.

Wow, that was longer than I expected.  Hope it made sense...

Minds are like parachutes: Just because you've lost yours, doesn't mean you can borrow mine.

What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter as if he is a man, but when he is a spinning ball of ammonia and methane must be silent?
salisem
Journeyman
Last Login:March 05, 2011, 11:14:13 am

Religion: Slowly finding my path, and having fun doing it. :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: September 29, 2010, 08:36:26 am »

I've had this problem too, and I'll accredit a lot of it to jealousy as well.  I'm beginning to understand how this happens to others; the more I read, the more conceivable the idea.  I know it hasn't happened to me yet because I'm not ready.  My beliefs are still in their infancy stage, just sort of vague ideas that I've had for years.  I imagine once I refine my beliefs further, I'll be more receptive to developing a relationship with a deity, and once that's realized by a higher power, they'll likely come to me.  Or so I hope.  Smiley
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #13: September 29, 2010, 08:56:22 am »

Thanks for the help.

It is not a dumb question.
Only a logical one.

I cant speak for the other folk around here, but mostly it is not as spectacular as it sounds, if I say: My Goddess told me this or that. This sounds like: woah, mystical, mysterious, great thing - but it is often much more ordinary.

It is the minds voice, that you know does not belong to you.
So either it is my Goddess or I do have a serious problem.  Cheesy

Since I am a pretty much down to earth person, I choose to belief that my Goddess is talking to me - sometimes - and that I am not that crazy. Wink

And dreams are a communication possibility too.
Others are divination and meditation.

So, yeah, it might does sound impressing, but I can say, that I needed quite my time to realize that there was this Lady taking interest in me. It is not like trumpets sound and angels singing or whatever. Wink

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
veggiewolf
Adept Member
Last Login:November 14, 2014, 01:04:25 pm

Religion: Hoer of Onions / FlameKeeper
TCN ID: veggiewolf

Stop it, or I'll bury you alive in a box.

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Reply #14: September 29, 2010, 09:03:27 am »

It is not a dumb question.
Only a logical one.

I cant speak for the other folk around here, but mostly it is not as spectacular as it sounds, if I say: My Goddess told me this or that. This sounds like: woah, mystical, mysterious, great thing - but it is often much more ordinary.

Hear, hear!  For me, the times it gets truly mystical are the times when I'm being smacked "upside the head"...and I'd like to say I could do without that, thank you!  Unfortunately (or fortunately?), with my goddess it comes with the territory.

Ask me about FlameKeeping!

"I can't take HIS money; I can't print MY OWN money.  Why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson
"My dream has been shattered into shards of a broken dream!" - Homer Simpson

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)