The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 05, 2021, 09:06:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 05, 2021, 09:06:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Relationships with the Gods?  (Read 13709 times)
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am
United States United States

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #15: September 29, 2010, 09:29:31 am »

Hear, hear!  For me, the times it gets truly mystical are the times when I'm being smacked "upside the head"...and I'd like to say I could do without that, thank you!  Unfortunately (or fortunately?), with my goddess it comes with the territory.

lol I hear you!

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: September 29, 2010, 10:01:53 am »

I think it was put best by...HeartShadow?  Or was it Juni?  Please tell me if I've misattributed - that many of the gods come from boasting cultures.  If you talked to someone who was very important, you had to tell them how 'rad and awesome' you were so that they'd know why they were bothering to talk to you. 

Pretty sure that was Darkhawk, actually. Smiley

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Satsekhem
High Adept Member

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #17: September 29, 2010, 10:22:54 am »

Pretty sure that was Darkhawk, actually. Smiley

But, oh, so true. In every book I've been reading about ancient Egypt, the magician in question had to go on about how he was like this god and that god and if the god he was asking for assistance wouldn't help, then the magician would make sure that they were never remembered and their offerings would sour, etc. You had to be able to show that you were god-like but you also had to be explicit in what kind of horrors would befall the god if they didn't listen.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
veggiewolf
Adept Member
Last Login:November 14, 2014, 01:04:25 pm

Religion: Hoer of Onions / FlameKeeper
TCN ID: veggiewolf

Stop it, or I'll bury you alive in a box.

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Reply #18: September 29, 2010, 10:27:21 am »

But, oh, so true. In every book I've been reading about ancient Egypt, the magician in question had to go on about how he was like this god and that god and if the god he was asking for assistance wouldn't help, then the magician would make sure that they were never remembered and their offerings would sour, etc. You had to be able to show that you were god-like but you also had to be explicit in what kind of horrors would befall the god if they didn't listen.

My favorite is always "...or the sun boat will never move AGAIN!"  For some reason, it always makes me want to insert "MWAHAHAHA!" when I read it.  I never do, though.  Grin

Ask me about FlameKeeping!

"I can't take HIS money; I can't print MY OWN money.  Why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson
"My dream has been shattered into shards of a broken dream!" - Homer Simpson
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #19: September 29, 2010, 10:48:37 am »

My favorite is always "...or the sun boat will never move AGAIN!"  For some reason, it always makes me want to insert "MWAHAHAHA!" when I read it.  I never do, though.  Grin

I literally hear this, funny.  Grin

Threats to gods, saints or spirits are not so unusual.
Can not remember now, where I read this, but if the saint in question wasnt cooperating, it could happen that his statue ended up upside down in the river mud.

I thought it very funny, how bribes and threats were thought by humans to work on deities (or the deity-like).
It is like folks thinking: hey, you are maybe more powerful, but that is no reason to be intimidated, because you are not so different from us. So fulfill our wish - or else... Wink

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
veggiewolf
Adept Member
Last Login:November 14, 2014, 01:04:25 pm

Religion: Hoer of Onions / FlameKeeper
TCN ID: veggiewolf

Stop it, or I'll bury you alive in a box.

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Reply #20: September 29, 2010, 10:55:03 am »

I literally hear this, funny.  Grin

Threats to gods, saints or spirits are not so unusual.
Can not remember now, where I read this, but if the saint in question wasnt cooperating, it could happen that his statue ended up upside down in the river mud.

I thought it very funny, how bribes and threats were thought by humans to work on deities (or the deity-like).
It is like folks thinking: hey, you are maybe more powerful, but that is no reason to be intimidated, because you are not so different from us. So fulfill our wish - or else... Wink

I know I've posted this before, but my friend's mother used to threaten Saint Anthony that she'd leave him in a jar until he found her keys.

Ask me about FlameKeeping!

"I can't take HIS money; I can't print MY OWN money.  Why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson
"My dream has been shattered into shards of a broken dream!" - Homer Simpson
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #21: September 29, 2010, 10:56:53 am »

I know I've posted this before, but my friend's mother used to threaten Saint Anthony that she'd leave him in a jar until he found her keys.

Brilliance.  Cheesy

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #22: September 29, 2010, 10:59:19 am »

Brilliance.  Cheesy

Oh my, now I have the nicest visual about Saint Anthony trying to persuade the Faeries to give the keys back, because he wants out of the jar, dang it. *lol*

Satsekhem
High Adept Member

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #23: September 29, 2010, 01:13:34 pm »

Oh my, now I have the nicest visual about Saint Anthony trying to persuade the Faeries to give the keys back, because he wants out of the jar, dang it. *lol*

This is so ingrained in me: I still pray to Saint Anthony to help me find things. It's like, the first thing I think of. Then I do a quick find-it spell and then I have to thank everyone and everything because I never know who/what actually found the item in question.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: September 29, 2010, 05:28:28 pm »

I cant speak for the other folk around here, but mostly it is not as spectacular as it sounds, if I say: My Goddess told me this or that. This sounds like: woah, mystical, mysterious, great thing - but it is often much more ordinary.

Exactly. It's a voice in my head (often in dreams). It's not something exciting like Athena appears in front of me in a flash of light.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #25: September 29, 2010, 06:03:49 pm »

Exactly. It's a voice in my head (often in dreams). It's not something exciting like Athena appears in front of me in a flash of light.

To be honest, I'd worry about my state of physical and mental health a lot more, if I had such a vision with flash of light and star appearance of my Lady, than with that mind voice thing.

That is something I know.
Animal communication works that way too and most of the time I'm able to tell the difference between my voice and their voices.

The rest is "to err is human" and so on. Wink

Sekhmet's Servant
Journeyman
Last Login:February 20, 2011, 01:00:05 am

Religion: Celtic Reconstructionist/Hard Polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: September 30, 2010, 09:02:50 pm »

I've actually gotten yelled at for having Egyptian gods as part of my altar set up. I'm starting back at the beginning due to several things and I told someone on a forum, forgot which, that I have Egyptian gods as part of my altar set-up. I told them that I had a connection to Isis and Anubis and they said 'Oh well your not really Wiccan. Wiccan's don't have relationships outside the Celtic Pantheon.'

I've never returned to that forum since.

I think that Wiccans and witches can have a relationship with any god or goddess that they want. The gods speak to us and I believe that we need to listen.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #27: September 30, 2010, 09:56:52 pm »

Hi, TradWitch - don't forget to quote.  Thanks!

Sunflower, TC Forum Staff

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #28: September 30, 2010, 10:11:32 pm »

I've actually gotten yelled at for having Egyptian gods as part of my altar set up. I'm starting back at the beginning due to several things and I told someone on a forum, forgot which, that I have Egyptian gods as part of my altar set-up. I told them that I had a connection to Isis and Anubis and they said 'Oh well your not really Wiccan. Wiccan's don't have relationships outside the Celtic Pantheon.'

I've never returned to that forum since.

I think that Wiccans and witches can have a relationship with any god or goddess that they want. The gods speak to us and I believe that we need to listen.

Riiiiiight. Because the broad term Wicca is totally a Celtic religion Roll Eyes Sounds like those people were a little closed-minded.

I know plenty of Wiccans and Wiccish people who love Egypt, particularly Isis and Osiris. The gods look for certain folks, and folks look for certain gods. Even if someone were a practicing, say, Asatruar, that doesn't mean that outside the practice of Asatru, they can't ever pray to a non-Norse deity.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Sekhmet's Servant
Journeyman
Last Login:February 20, 2011, 01:00:05 am

Religion: Celtic Reconstructionist/Hard Polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: September 30, 2010, 10:22:29 pm »

Hi, TradWitch - don't forget to quote.  Thanks!

Sunflower, TC Forum Staff

Sorry, I just couldn't figure out which part of the message that I wanted to quote so I decided not to quote. I'll do better next time.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)