The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 15, 2020, 03:08:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 15, 2020, 03:08:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Banned Books Week 2010  (Read 11631 times) Average Rating: 5
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:August 04, 2020, 12:00:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: May 22, 2011, 09:12:26 am »

So someone challenged a book depicting Ancient Egyptian rituals because it has "evil gods and black magic."  In Texas.  Seems rather par the course to me.
They weren't even ancient Egyptian rituals, they were what the kids in the book (smart pre-teens) cobbled together from bits and pieces of info they'd researched.

But, yep, par for the course.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Dragondaughter
Adept Member
Last Login:November 18, 2011, 01:40:56 am
United States United States

Religion: Work in progress, seasoned with insanity..

How do I get there from here?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: May 22, 2011, 11:49:03 am »

They weren't even ancient Egyptian rituals, they were what the kids in the book (smart pre-teens) cobbled together from bits and pieces of info they'd researched.

But, yep, par for the course.

Sunflower

Of course, how DARE kids be smart, do research, and form their own opinions!  Roll Eyes

(/ snark)

Practicing...? No, experiencing Spiritual ADD for 20+ years...yeah that's it... sigh. Wink

"To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond." Hypatia of Alexandria
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: May 22, 2011, 11:51:37 am »

Of course, how DARE kids be smart, do research, and form their own opinions!  Roll Eyes

(/ snark)

Though if you think about it, kids creating their own rituals out of piecemeal info IS more frightening to *proper thought* - because that gives kids IDEAS.

Kids just doing what Mom and Dad said and going to Egyptian services isn't nearly as shocking ....

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Dragondaughter
Adept Member
Last Login:November 18, 2011, 01:40:56 am

Religion: Work in progress, seasoned with insanity..

How do I get there from here?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: May 22, 2011, 12:17:18 pm »

Though if you think about it, kids creating their own rituals out of piecemeal info IS more frightening to *proper thought* - because that gives kids IDEAS.

Kids just doing what Mom and Dad said and going to Egyptian services isn't nearly as shocking ....

That's the point I was trying to make, obviously poorly. Methinks more caffeine is required for my brain to properly function...

Practicing...? No, experiencing Spiritual ADD for 20+ years...yeah that's it... sigh. Wink

"To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond." Hypatia of Alexandria
Setnusutekh
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 13, 2017, 11:47:11 pm
Trinidad and Tobago Trinidad and Tobago

Religion: Kemetic Recon, Heathen and follower of Apollo.

Dua Set, Mighty One of the Two Fold Strength!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: May 23, 2011, 04:12:31 am »

Banned Books Week: Celebrating the Freedom to Read

http://www.ala.org/ala/issuesadvocacy/banned/bannedbooksweek/index.cfm

According to that, someone wanted to ban 'To Kill a Mockingbird' due to it's use of the dreaded n-word, along with other slurs. Well, we never really had that issue here, I mean my sister studied that book at school (along with 'The Pearl') However the literary use of a slur doesn't seem to carry as much weight here.

However one of my Literature books, 'The Hummingbird Tree' was banned from schools here a while back due to its language and some indirectly sexual content, which makes me wonder how they rate these things. The book was brutally honest, but aside from racial slurs about Indians instead of the Afro-Caribbeans, it was your run of the mill amount of vulgarity, as expected from a uneducated and low class teenage boys and the older men.

Hell, all of the books written by West Indian authors for our level had racial slurs in them. And sexual content in varying degrees.

I was most surprised that they let us study 'The Chrysalids' in the Caribbean for our CSEC exams. I mean in a highly religious society, that book tells you to question everything you're told to believe, especially with religion and Christianity.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 04:14:41 am by Setnusutekh » Logged

Yes, I am Trini to d bone! Smiley
Jujulinda
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 05:33:01 pm

Religion: Not sure. The Universe is so vast...

Blog entries (0)

EmoFruit HelloSunshine90

Ignore
« Reply #20: June 28, 2011, 12:39:31 pm »

I know the thread is old, but I was just browsing the book forums and this got me interested...

I just read about the individual reasons why the books were banned, mostly it seems to be sexual content. (Here's a list of banned books with a short report: http://www.ala.org/ala/issuesadvocacy/banned/bannedbooksweek/ideasandresources/free_downloads/2010banned.pdf)

But one different example caught my eye:

*shakes head*

I know this is kind of old but I read that book and half of the books on that banned list when I was around 12 to 14 years old. My school had the wonderful Harry Potter fiasco. But none of those books were banned where I live. Even though I live in Missouri. I'm surprised but we had a very liberal and loud English department in my school district. That's probably why. LOL.

"Oh how wrong we were to think that immortality meant never dying."

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)