The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 15, 2020, 08:45:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 15, 2020, 08:45:18 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Land Spirits/the Fair Folk questions  (Read 10381 times)
Vella Malachite
Master Member
Last Login:July 31, 2011, 03:27:04 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Irish Celtic Reconstructionist

Never underestimate carefully worded nonsense.

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #15: October 12, 2010, 04:55:54 am »

I think of the categories "Gods", Sidhe", and "Ancestors" as being like three attraction points arranged in a triangle on a graph. Most beings are clustered around one of the dots, but there are those that are halfway in between two or three or moving in the direction. There are no clear dividing lines.

As to attracting unwanted beings, I think of it the same way I do of offering to the Fomhor: they are there already and offering to them prevents problems.

The art in the books is based off actual sitings by Froud, at least according to him.

-- K.

The triangle thing makes sense.  Yay, visual representations of abstract concepts!

Mm, I thought that would be better than ignoring them, in the long run...at least I may be able to make them less inclined to cause problems?  Not that some of them aren't likely to just cause problems for kicks and giggles, but hey.

And as for the 'Good Faeries/Bad Faeries' debate, I had a look, and it seemed quirky, and had nice art, but it was a bit...well, I wouldn't use it as my main source of information, really.  It's a source, but I wouldn't use it as the only one.

Minds are like parachutes: Just because you've lost yours, doesn't mean you can borrow mine.

What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter as if he is a man, but when he is a spinning ball of ammonia and methane must be silent?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Kelley
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:November 23, 2010, 12:25:21 pm
United States United States

Religion: Celtic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: October 12, 2010, 12:29:03 pm »

The triangle thing makes sense.  Yay, visual representations of abstract concepts!

Mm, I thought that would be better than ignoring them, in the long run...at least I may be able to make them less inclined to cause problems?  Not that some of them aren't likely to just cause problems for kicks and giggles, but hey.

And as for the 'Good Faeries/Bad Faeries' debate, I had a look, and it seemed quirky, and had nice art, but it was a bit...well, I wouldn't use it as my main source of information, really.  It's a source, but I wouldn't use it as the only one.

Well, the good news is that you aren't attracting them. Smiley

As for Froud, his art could be based on real-life examples and the info in the text still be horrible, at the same time. I don't know; I haven't read it. I'd be interested to hear some reviews, though.

-- K.
catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:July 10, 2020, 02:41:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: October 13, 2010, 03:33:52 pm »

Froud's a terrific artist, but don't use him as anything like a source.  The text of his earlier book Faeries was near-plagiarized from Katharine Briggs.  Briggs IS a good source -- her scholarship is foundational to the study of fairy lore.  The most useful of her works are The Encyclopedia of Fairies and The Fairies in Tradition and Literature.  I also recommend Carole Silver's Strange and Secret Peoples, which provides an absolutely necessary context for a lot of fairy lore studies; most fairy folklore was collected in the Victorian era, and to make sense of it, one needs to understand something about Victorian attitudes toward gender, class, and race.
Vella Malachite
Master Member
Australia Australia

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #18: October 14, 2010, 04:55:29 am »

Froud's a terrific artist, but don't use him as anything like a source.  The text of his earlier book Faeries was near-plagiarized from Katharine Briggs.  Briggs IS a good source -- her scholarship is foundational to the study of fairy lore.  The most useful of her works are The Encyclopedia of Fairies and The Fairies in Tradition and Literature.  I also recommend Carole Silver's Strange and Secret Peoples, which provides an absolutely necessary context for a lot of fairy lore studies; most fairy folklore was collected in the Victorian era, and to make sense of it, one needs to understand something about Victorian attitudes toward gender, class, and race.

Ah, OK.  Gotcha.  Proceeding to not use Froud as a source

I read your recommendation for Briggs on another thread, and I've been waiting to get the money for one of her books (read: I'll probably get the book sometime in the next couple years, if I get my act together).
Would you recommend reading Victorian fairy stories now, or should I get a better grounding in fairies as a whole, in order to better understand the changes they made?

Minds are like parachutes: Just because you've lost yours, doesn't mean you can borrow mine.

What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter as if he is a man, but when he is a spinning ball of ammonia and methane must be silent?
catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: October 14, 2010, 01:12:02 pm »

Ah, OK.  Gotcha.  Proceeding to not use Froud as a source

I read your recommendation for Briggs on another thread, and I've been waiting to get the money for one of her books (read: I'll probably get the book sometime in the next couple years, if I get my act together).
Would you recommend reading Victorian fairy stories now, or should I get a better grounding in fairies as a whole, in order to better understand the changes they made?

I'd read the Briggs Encyclopedia first.  There are cheap used copies, and most libraries (especially university libraries) have it.  Then I'd read the Victorian texts at the same time as I'm reading the Silver.  That's how I'd structure things if I were teaching a university class on the subject.

If you want to read the Victorian studies first -- and I don't blame you, as lots of them are available for free on Sacred Texts -- bear in mind that Victorian attitudes about gender, class, race, and colonialism are ALL OVER them.  So, absorb the actual collected data, but take all the theorizing and contextualizing with many, many grains of salt. 
Vella Malachite
Master Member
Australia Australia

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #20: October 18, 2010, 10:40:26 pm »

I'd read the Briggs Encyclopedia first.  There are cheap used copies, and most libraries (especially university libraries) have it.  Then I'd read the Victorian texts at the same time as I'm reading the Silver.  That's how I'd structure things if I were teaching a university class on the subject.

If you want to read the Victorian studies first -- and I don't blame you, as lots of them are available for free on Sacred Texts -- bear in mind that Victorian attitudes about gender, class, race, and colonialism are ALL OVER them.  So, absorb the actual collected data, but take all the theorizing and contextualizing with many, many grains of salt. 

Yay, another reason to look forward to university!!  Grin

OK, I'll look for the Briggs first.  I've got plenty of other stuff I can read before I get onto the Victorian stuff.  Thanks!

Ainwyn
Apprentice
Last Login:February 10, 2011, 03:58:30 pm

Religion: Irish Polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: October 21, 2010, 02:33:04 am »

Yay, another reason to look forward to university!!  Grin

OK, I'll look for the Briggs first.  I've got plenty of other stuff I can read before I get onto the Victorian stuff.  Thanks!

The Fairy Faith in Celtic Countries by Evans-Wentz is a must read if you really want to get into the folk beliefs about fairies. It's a wonderful, scholarly work, but not nearly as dry as you'd think. It's free on, I think, Sacred Texts, and it sounds like the newer editions aren't as good for some reason, so you might as well not spend money on them, eh? Wink
catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: October 21, 2010, 03:16:49 am »

The Fairy Faith in Celtic Countries by Evans-Wentz is a must read if you really want to get into the folk beliefs about fairies. It's a wonderful, scholarly work, but not nearly as dry as you'd think. It's free on, I think, Sacred Texts, and it sounds like the newer editions aren't as good for some reason, so you might as well not spend money on them, eh? Wink

It's also incredibly outdated.  He's got a lot of good data, but again, the theorizing -- including all the scholarly interpretation and apparatus -- should be taken with an enormous pile of salt.
Ainwyn
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: October 21, 2010, 03:56:26 pm »

It's also incredibly outdated.  He's got a lot of good data, but again, the theorizing -- including all the scholarly interpretation and apparatus -- should be taken with an enormous pile of salt.

The theories can be problematic, of course, but they always are. It's more of the ethnography that's important. That he actually went and collected folk beliefs is why I suggested it. You can come to your own interpretation of the information he collected.  I definitely should have been a little less brief in my post, but that's what I get for writing in forums late at night Smiley

catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: October 21, 2010, 05:09:36 pm »

The theories can be problematic, of course, but they always are. It's more of the ethnography that's important. That he actually went and collected folk beliefs is why I suggested it. You can come to your own interpretation of the information he collected.  I definitely should have been a little less brief in my post, but that's what I get for writing in forums late at night Smiley

Some theories are a lot more problematic than others, though, and it's important to understand the differences.  And the theories E-W had about folklore, and who has it and why, did affect where he went and who he talked to, so that information is always necessary.
Ainwyn
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: October 21, 2010, 10:17:34 pm »

Some theories are a lot more problematic than others, though, and it's important to understand the differences.  And the theories E-W had about folklore, and who has it and why, did affect where he went and who he talked to, so that information is always necessary.

It's been a while since I've read it and I've learned a lot since then, so I'll give it another read through some point when I have the time and figure out the best things to bring up before suggesting it to anyone again. Thanks for bringing that up Smiley

Does anyone know how The Secret Commonwealth and the Fairy Belief Complex by Brian Walsh is? It's been suggested to me and I got it a few months ago, but I haven't had the time to read it yet.
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #26: October 22, 2010, 05:38:33 am »

I think of the categories "Gods", Sidhe", and "Ancestors" as being like three attraction points arranged in a triangle on a graph. Most beings are clustered around one of the dots, but there are those that are halfway in between two or three or moving in the direction. There are no clear dividing lines.

This is well said.
I came to this conclusion too, but you put it in good, understandable words.  Smiley
May I steal this?

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Kelley
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:November 23, 2010, 12:25:21 pm

Religion: Celtic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: October 25, 2010, 06:14:28 pm »

This is well said.
I came to this conclusion too, but you put it in good, understandable words.  Smiley
May I steal this?

If you have my permission to use it, I'm not sure I'd call it stealing. Smiley

Feel free!

-- K.
treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: October 25, 2010, 08:15:31 pm »

Froud's a terrific artist, but don't use him as anything like a source.  The text of his earlier book Faeries was near-plagiarized from Katharine Briggs.

I was about to comment that Faeries - which I just found secondhand - seemed to be a more reliable book, but now I know why.  Grin

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #29: October 26, 2010, 04:02:26 am »

If you have my permission to use it, I'm not sure I'd call it stealing. Smiley

Feel free!

-- K.

Thanks!  Kiss

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)