The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 16, 2021, 03:49:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2021, 03:49:12 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone here have thyroid issues?  (Read 23819 times)
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm
United States United States

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #30: October 05, 2010, 11:06:23 am »

I think "keep it simple" is going to be my mantra for a while longer. I do think I've been pushing myself to be the "normal" that I used to be, instead of focusing on what I can do and what works for me now.     

Yep. When I started digging myself out, and talked to the wide range of friends who have chronic medical foo. (Erm. I did before this, but it was medical foo that I could mostly figure out how to deal with, and then get on with life once I'd figured out how to avoid the triggers - asthma and migraines - total exhaustion was something else entirely.)

Anyway, the biggest piece of advice I got was to do what I could, and not fret about the rest of it. That some of it - maybe all or most of it - would come back, but that pushing to get there would probably a) make it take longer and b) be extra frustrating. Learning (even more) to prioritise and figure out what mattered most was a great skill.

My husband isn't really all that involved in my practices, but he does sort of keep an eye on what I'm doing and when.  He's really cute about it sometimes. For example, about a month ago he brought home some figs from a catering job because he thought I might like to offer them to Juno. Even at the last full moon, I was feeling kind of crappy due to my cycle being out of whack, he insisted that I go outside with him and just sit for a bit. Not because he really cares about the moon, but because he knows that I do. So yeah, maybe he would be able to give me some feedback.

That should help, yeah. And even just things like "Yes, you're tracking complex things much better this week than you were last week" - totally non-Pagan stuff - can be helpful for you in calibrating how you feel versus what's showing to other people who know you well.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Inca
Master Member
Last Login:December 31, 2011, 11:49:06 am
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: October 05, 2010, 12:28:10 pm »

I just want to thank you for putting things so very adequately into words. I think I'll girth up this winter for a new battle with the medical profession. They have been reasoning away my longstanding complaints of lack of energy, wanting to see it as depression (even when I am very much missing the essential part: I am not feeling depressed, being extremely sad, or losing joy and pleasure in normal things.)
And I found many references to low body temperature as an indication. (Mine is between 35.8 and 36.1 ( 96.4 and 96.9) and no medical pro found it even important. "Ah well, it's not a fever, there's no problem." Which is basically the reasoning all the time - doctors are for medical complaints. The consequences of those problems for your daily life seems to be no concern for them. There, I said it! (Oops, wrong thread but I just had to vent it.))

So thank you for the information and sharing your personal experience.
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #32: October 05, 2010, 12:42:54 pm »

I just want to thank you for putting things so very adequately into words. I think I'll girth up this winter for a new battle with the medical profession. They have been reasoning away my longstanding complaints of lack of energy, wanting to see it as depression (even when I am very much missing the essential part: I am not feeling depressed, being extremely sad, or losing joy and pleasure in normal things.)

You're welcome!

I initially looked at depression as a possibility - it was relatively unlikely, given my lack of tendency in the past (I'm now 35, so I've got a reasonable amount of life's ups and downs behind me), but at the same time - stressful new job, lots of changes in other areas of my life that had affected my support system, etc. So it wasn't unreasonable to look at it (and I did in fact try antidepressants for about six months.)

But about the third time I was going through the depression screening quizzes, and realised that everything came down to "I want to do stuff, but I'm too amazingly exhausted to even think about it", I started pushing really hard for a referral to an endocrinologist, so we could at least look at that in detail.

It also helped a lot that I really did have other symptoms: in case they help: (specific here for hypothyroidism, but maybe other people can chime in with other thoughts.)
- Low body temperature can have lots of other reasons, but it *is* cause for looking at the endocrine system more closely if you've got other symptoms.

- There's a weird quirk with hypothyroidism (not other forms of thyroid issues) that causes you to lose the outer edges of your eyebrows (which I had: they've now grown back.) It doesn't happen for everyone, but it's a clear and unique enough sign that it now turns up in mainstream medical literature.

- Intolerance to cold. I've always been comfortable in cooler temperatures, and I almost never wear socks even in deepest winter, unless I'm going to be outside for an extended period of time. (Car -> work, car->errand doesn't count). Last winter, I was cold enough to be shivering and unable to do much else for 20-30 minutes a couple of times a day in perfectly reasonable temperatures - anything under about 69-70F. Even though I normally keep the house somewhere around 66-68 in the winter.

(This, incidentally, is something that swimming helped with, and was why I did haul myself out of bed at 5 to go swim before work: something about having constant temperature all around me helped hold off the shivering for most of the day on the days I made it out in the morning.)

- My brain just plain not working right, like I've described: loss of executive function skills, loss of ability to hold several things in my head at once, etc. 

- A bunch of other things got slower - including my speech speed, which is usually very fast.

- Changes to hair and nails - much more brittle, my nails were inclined to flake and peel from the edges, my hair got a lot more coarse. (I can still feel the difference in my hair, as that section is now an inch or two down from my scalp, and there's a distinct change in texture. That one, I'll be living with for a while, as I have waist length hair.)

- And bringing a friend with me who could comment on all of the above, and other stuff that I couldn't explain myself was very helpful.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Inca
Master Member
Last Login:December 31, 2011, 11:49:06 am
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #33: October 05, 2010, 02:06:58 pm »

I initially looked at depression as a possibility - it was relatively unlikely, given my lack of tendency in the past (I'm now 35, so I've got a reasonable amount of life's ups and downs behind me), but at the same time - stressful new job, lots of changes in other areas of my life that had affected my support system, etc. So it wasn't unreasonable to look at it (and I did in fact try antidepressants for about six months.)

For me it certainly was a depression, at the start. (Although there's a lot of chicken/egg going on... would energy problems account for being overly stressed and then depressed, or the other way around? No telling, I'd think.)

But whatever is going on is been with me for years. So I really don't have a before/after-account. In the mean time I've maxed out on 'living with it'. I think I've come to a point where I have done everything (being sensible, balanced, even out stress, watching what I eat, trying to keep a moderately decent condition, take vitamin C and echinaforce for better resistance etc etc. I've also included quite a lot of thermoclothing Smiley ) I feel mostly satisfied, happy and proud of what I've achieved. But, there is an upper limit that seems a bit outside the range of normal variation. And I think I'm almost ready to start a new crucade to find that out. (In the past I'd rather spent my energy on keeping my daily routine more or less functioning.)
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #34: October 05, 2010, 02:26:27 pm »

There's a weird quirk with hypothyroidism (not other forms of thyroid issues) that causes you to lose the outer edges of your eyebrows (which I had: they've now grown back.) It doesn't happen for everyone, but it's a clear and unique enough sign that it now turns up in mainstream medical literature.

Yup.  It's referred to colloquially as "Queen Anne's Sign".  This was the first and probably most significant sign of my going overtly hypo.  Now that I'm being treated, my "Brooke Shields" are growing back (behold the mighty unibrow!!).  I had overall brow (and eyelash...and underarm) hair thinning, but my outer eyebrows sort of disappeared when I wasn't looking.

Brina
catherine
Master Member
Last Login:November 08, 2013, 10:51:52 am

Religion: temporarily unavailable, renovations in progress

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #35: October 06, 2010, 10:45:43 am »

But whatever is going on is been with me for years.

I know that in my case, I had been having symptoms of hypothyroid for a very long time. At first, I thought it was depression too. My step dad had recently died, I was planning my wedding, there was a lot going on and it was a very stressful time overall. I kept thinking that I just needed to pull myself out of a slump or something. My symptoms got progressively worse until I noticed a lump in my neck where my thyroid is. For me, that tumor turned out to be a good thing because all of my blood tests came back normal (meaning within the normal range). If I hadn't had the lump, there wouldn't have been any sure signs that it was my thyroid. That lump was the only "real" indication of a problem.

Not saying that thyroid is your issue, but it's worth checking out.

Owl
Adept Member
Last Login:March 07, 2012, 02:46:28 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: October 06, 2010, 11:52:58 am »

I know that in my case, I had been having symptoms of hypothyroid for a very long time. At first, I thought it was depression too. My step dad had recently died, I was planning my wedding, there was a lot going on and it was a very stressful time overall. I kept thinking that I just needed to pull myself out of a slump or something. My symptoms got progressively worse until I noticed a lump in my neck where my thyroid is. For me, that tumor turned out to be a good thing because all of my blood tests came back normal (meaning within the normal range). If I hadn't had the lump, there wouldn't have been any sure signs that it was my thyroid. That lump was the only "real" indication of a problem.

Not saying that thyroid is your issue, but it's worth checking out.

It sneaks up on you!

AntlerandHerb.com
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 05, 2021, 02:13:46 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #37: October 09, 2010, 12:28:57 am »

Yes, very interested. Not just for myself either. My younger sister could use them as well. She's constantly dieting, and on the weight loss and gain roller coaster. I think it's sad because she's a very smart, talented, beautiful woman, she just doesn't see it because of her weight.
I don't have a lot of time (I've been trying to get back to this, and am squeezing it in now because I'll be mostly-absent from TC for a week and a half starting tomorrow night, and I didn't want to make you wait that long), so I'm going to cheat a bit:  fat fu is one of my favorite fat acceptance blogs (it doesn't get posted to very often these days, but the archives are well-worth a look), and it has a really extensive blogroll.

Though Shapely Prose is no longer active, its archives are full of goodies, and its FAQ is a good place to start.

The Fat Nutritionist has lots and lots of useful info on HAES ("health at every size" gets mentioned so much in the fatosphere that it usually gets abbreviated) and what actual healthy eating is (as compared to the "healthiness" of the cultural narratives of virtuous eating).  She also has an extensive blogroll, with a huge list of links to fact articles.

Junkfood Science, as the name suggests, debunks dubious science relating to food and nutrition.

Spilt Milk just recently started pulling together what she hopes will become a comprehensive collection of 101 links.

That leaves out so very many people who blog about body acceptance, HAES, etc, and who deserve a mention, but it should get you started.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
catherine
Master Member

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #38: October 09, 2010, 08:46:32 am »

I don't have a lot of time (I've been trying to get back to this, and am squeezing it in now because I'll be mostly-absent from TC for a week and a half starting tomorrow night, and I didn't want to make you wait that long), so I'm going to cheat a bit: 

Thanks so much, Sunflower. This is great and I really do appreciate it.
Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #39: January 28, 2011, 10:29:47 pm »

I know that none of you know me, I'm pretty quiet here. But, I'm hoping that if anyone has experience with thyroid disorders you might be willing to talk to me about it.
Catherine

I was diagnosed with an enlarged thyroid in Oct, it turned out to be hypothyroidism. I'm on my second course of levothyroxin and even though it is a tiny dose I can't imagine going back to life without it. As of now my levels have not been stabilized to 'normal'. But, considering normal is something like .5 - 5.5 it's hard to say what normal for an individual is. A close friend of mine has been badgering her GP to test her levels and he did the initial test and wrote her off at normal. However two weeks later as she was having a cast on her wrist changed the doctor asked if she had a goiter and strongly recommended more testing. Thyroid cancer runs in her family - which her GP knew - but only after another doctor recommended testing has she been able to get it. She had an ultrasound today but we don't know the results yet.

Basically, with thyroid problems in particular it is incumbent upon us to be our own advocates. I'm only 27 which is evidently young for hypothyroidism but I'd had the symptoms etc long enough to develop a small goiter and NONE of the physicians I had seen in the two years prior to Oct 2010 had caught it. You bet your bippy I'm all over them now  Smiley

Good luck and best wishes Cheesy

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
catherine
Master Member

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #40: January 29, 2011, 11:31:46 am »

Good luck and best wishes Cheesy

Thank you,
Happily, my thyroid issues are under control now. I had my last full body scan in November, I'm cancer free. I think my meds are finally doing their job too. I feel pretty normal again. Of course I still have to keep up on it with regular check ups, blood tests, etc.

My best to you and your friend. If there's anything I can do to help, just ask. I'm more than happy to talk about my experience if it will help someone else.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #41: January 29, 2011, 05:54:58 pm »

Thank you,
Happily, my thyroid issues are under control now. I had my last full body scan in November, I'm cancer free. I think my meds are finally doing their job too. I feel pretty normal again. Of course I still have to keep up on it with regular check ups, blood tests, etc.

That's great news!

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 05, 2021, 02:13:46 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #42: January 30, 2011, 06:20:27 am »

Yay!!!

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
catherine
Master Member

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #43: January 31, 2011, 10:11:50 am »

That's great news!

Thanks, I was really relieved. I was expecting another RAI treatment, but I didn't need it.
catherine
Master Member

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #44: January 31, 2011, 10:13:14 am »

Yay!!!

Sunflower

Yeah, I was happy dancing for days.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)