The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 18, 2020, 03:00:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2020, 03:00:13 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2010  (Read 8833 times)
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm
United States United States

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: October 02, 2010, 07:50:04 pm »

For those of you who don't know, National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) is an annual event where writers attempt to write a 50,000 word novel in the month of November.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/

Who's participating this year?  What are you doing?

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #1: October 02, 2010, 07:58:40 pm »

I'm sort of participating this year; I'm only aiming for 10,000 words instead of the normal goal. It's been ages since I wrote very much (yay depression) and I think 50k is entirely unrealistic for me right now. Plus my therapist thinks that setting a lower goal and achieving it will be more useful for me, overall, than going for 50,000 and not making it. Which is probably true.

I plan to work on my fanfiction novel, North of the Wall. It's based on Garth Nix's Old Kingdom/Abhorsen series, set almost 100 years after the last book, where the Old Kingdom has once again been thrust into disarray thanks to Free Magic Necromancers, and Mogget has to round up a bunch of new, diluted Bloods in an attempt to make things right. Mogget and (briefly) Lirael are the only characters of Nix's that I'll be using- all the rest will be original characters. I'm looking forward to it. Smiley

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #2: October 02, 2010, 08:15:24 pm »

Samhain Summer is the name of my novel this year.

After the spiritual equivalent of a nuclear bomb goes off, devastating all realms physical and otherwise, Pan, Diana, and Loki go on a roadtrip to recover lost relics, save the world, and generally give those nasty non-believers a stern talking to. Includes Thor, who died but got better (by reincarnating as a human girl who doesn't really do the whole religion thing, thank you very much) and gratuitous ultraviolet prose.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: October 02, 2010, 08:20:47 pm »

I'm sort of participating this year; I'm only aiming for 10,000 words instead of the normal goal. It's been ages since I wrote very much (yay depression) and I think 50k is entirely unrealistic for me right now. Plus my therapist thinks that setting a lower goal and achieving it will be more useful for me, overall, than going for 50,000 and not making it. Which is probably true.

(((Juni)))

Believe me, I know the feeling.  I'm probably going to shoot for the 10-15k region this year, myself.

My Spiritual Blog
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: October 02, 2010, 08:24:41 pm »

This year's novel is titled The Palazzo Chronicles.

Synopsis copy-pasted from my NaNo profile:

Claudia came from a rich and powerful aristocratic family. But when she fell on hard times, her husband took a loan from the wrong person and turned into a dog. Now, in order to restore her husband to human form, Claudia is forced to take a job at the lender's estate. Thrown into a new world of conspiracies, political intrigue and magic gone awry, she has difficulty deciding whether she will hate every minute of her situation or if it is genuinely the best thing that ever happened to her.

Oh, and for those of you who don't know, I go by J.B._Drake there.  Feel free to add me as a writing buddy.

My Spiritual Blog
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #5: October 02, 2010, 08:29:03 pm »

(((Juni)))

Believe me, I know the feeling.  I'm probably going to shoot for the 10-15k region this year, myself.

(((Mel)))

I just started medication on Thursday- the first medication for my depression that I've taken in probably 8 years- so I am attempting to be optimistic that I might be resembling healthy head-space by the 1st, but we'll see.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #6: October 03, 2010, 09:06:51 am »

I just started medication on Thursday- the first medication for my depression that I've taken in probably 8 years- so I am attempting to be optimistic that I might be resembling healthy head-space by the 1st, but we'll see.

(((Juni))) I know where you're at.  Take care of you and the rest will fall back into place.

Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #7: October 03, 2010, 09:28:15 am »

*tentative hand-wave*

I plan to do NaNo this year, subject to finding the time and inspiration to write fiction.  I've yet to write a proper synopsis, but essentially, it's the story of what happens when a 'retired' Valkyrie gets drawn back into the world of the Norse gods. Unless of course, I decide to write something else entirely.  Smiley

I'm Aisling_Faa over on Nano's site if anyone would like another writing buddy. 

Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: October 04, 2010, 08:52:49 pm »

((((Juni)))) Boy I know how that feels. I think it's officially been a year since I "wrote" anything thanks to depression, jobhunting and gallavanting across the country.

Take care, and wishing the best with the new meds.

I... have no idea if I am going to be in NaNo this year, for the above reason, for the reason that I have no idea what I would work on, and simply because... well, I just don't know.  Sad

I'm pellarhos, and I'll be lurking around the site as I try to make up my mind over whether to do it or not by the end of the month.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: October 05, 2010, 09:26:00 am »

Me...probably.  I'm aiming to actually write something for Nano, but we'll see if I actually do.

I think at this point I have no plan, rather just start writing and stop when my hand dies from exhaustion. Smiley

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
veggiewolf
Adept Member
Last Login:November 14, 2014, 01:04:25 pm

Religion: Hoer of Onions / FlameKeeper
TCN ID: veggiewolf

Stop it, or I'll bury you alive in a box.

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Reply #10: October 05, 2010, 12:29:44 pm »

(((Mel)))

(((Juni))) 

I went back on medication last December for the first time in 12 years, so I know what you're going through.

I'm thinking about doing NaNo, but I've never done it before.  Does anyone have tips?

Ask me about FlameKeeping!

"I can't take HIS money; I can't print MY OWN money.  Why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson
"My dream has been shattered into shards of a broken dream!" - Homer Simpson
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #11: October 05, 2010, 01:06:19 pm »

I'm thinking about doing NaNo, but I've never done it before.  Does anyone have tips?

Plan ahead.  You can't start writing until November 1, but you can do some planning and preparation before that.  You don't have to have everything outlined to the last detail, but have some sort of idea where you're going before you get to November 1.  Make sure it's a big enough idea for a novel, but if you plan on finishing it in November don't let it get too big.  50K is not actually a lot of words.

During November, I highly recommend setting daily goals and sticking to them.  (1,667 words per day will put you at 50K at the end of the month, but I usually shoot for 2,000 per day to give myself a little padding because I know that there will be days when I don't have the time to write 1,667 words.)  I also found it useful to schedule writing time--even if that just meant that each day I thought about what I had going on the next day and said, "OK, this is when I write tomorrow."  Rewards for reaching milestones (5K, 10K, 25K, etc.) can be useful, as can giving yourself a reward (even if it's just a gold star!) for each day you successfully reach your goal.

The hardest bit for me is:  DO NOT EDIT.  Just write, even if it sucks.  Just get it on paper.  (Or, well, on the computer.)  You can edit later.  And you may find on a reread that it doesn't suck as much as you think, anyway.

If you do finish your first draft and "win"...  In previous years, CreateSpace has offered winners a free proof copy of their book.  I highly recommend doing this.  It's so cool to hold your own work as a bound book, and it's handy for later editing as well.  (Somehow the bound book feels different, when editing, even than pages printed on your home printer.  I found it easier to get a little distance like that.)  Which brings up the next point:  Do not expect a finished novel from this.  You've got a first draft, yay, but there's still a lot of work to do before it's "done".  Wink

All that said, I'm not participating this year.  I've got too much else going on right now.  I wish everyone luck, though!

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: October 05, 2010, 04:12:11 pm »

Adding to what Star said.  If you do have the urge to edit just strike through the offending material like this and then type out what you want to change it to.  Not only would this pad your word count but it would also make the editing process easier once November is over.  Also make long chapter titles.  Maybe a sentence or even a paragraph that basically summarizes the chapter.  And add spaces between dashes and ellipses because the site's technology would recognize them as words.  You could also refer to all of your characters by their full name (Joe MiddleName Smith, f/x) or if any of your characters have a fancy title (like Lord Joe MiddleName Smith, Earl of Whatever) than by all means type it out every time you are referring to them.  And try to avoid pronouns.

I plan on doing all of this.  Don't know if I would give it up in frustration, though.

My Spiritual Blog
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #13: October 08, 2010, 06:52:37 pm »

For those of you who don't know, National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) is an annual event where writers attempt to write a 50,000 word novel in the month of November.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/

I'm tempted to be a NaNoRebel, and just continue my first NaNo story that I did back in '07 (zombies in rural Manitoba, aw yeah!). I'm also feeling this incredible urge to write falcon-kin not dissimilar to the falcons of Amelia Atwater-Rhodes' novels, but I'm not sure if I want to go the completely original route, or just do fanfiction. All I know is that this idea has not left me alone since it first came into my head.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: October 08, 2010, 07:07:35 pm »

I'm tempted to be a NaNoRebel, and just continue my first NaNo story that I did back in '07 (zombies in rural Manitoba, aw yeah!). I'm also feeling this incredible urge to write falcon-kin not dissimilar to the falcons of Amelia Atwater-Rhodes' novels, but I'm not sure if I want to go the completely original route, or just do fanfiction. All I know is that this idea has not left me alone since it first came into my head.

Ah NaNoRebeling....I already have a half page of mine typed up Wink

My Spiritual Blog

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)