The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 15, 2020, 04:07:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 15, 2020, 04:07:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: How about revenge?  (Read 9436 times)
Autumn Twilight
Journeyman
Last Login:September 08, 2011, 12:06:43 pm
United States United States

Religion: Pagan/unspecific

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: October 31, 2010, 01:26:39 am »

I had deep hatred for two people who wronged me in a very serious way, a way that changed me forever. I still had school with them for years. Everytime I saw them I wanted to scream at them, or push them down. I more violent thoughts, and desires as well. I knew my hatred was basically fueled by the fact that I felt intimidated and small around them, and so I wanted to prove I was supirior, not a little shy child anymore. But after a long time I finally was honest with myself, and finally choose to move on. I didnt forget. I still see them from time to time, and sometimes I feel those evil thoughts coming back, but then I remember how dark my hatred made me. Where I am going with this is that....revenge is not right. There is a very thin line between justice and revenge. If someone is a murderer should they be murdered? What makes you just as mean or bad as those you hate or dislike? Those are really questions you need to answer to decide what you think is right, and what isnt in cases of revenge.

For me, I think no kind of harm is right. I think even if someone has harmed you greatly, you should let the law/Gods/fate take care of them and give them the justice they diserve. Now, if you are kidnapped and your only way out is kicking and fighting- by all means, do so...but I doubt thats what your refering to.
I am not saying I havent been pleased when someone I dont like trips, or gets a small part in a play. Its kind of human nature. But dont let it control you. Know that it is wrong, and try not to cause pain or take joy in others pain.

As for the rule of thirds...it doesnt really mean to cause pain to someone else. It means when you cause pain or trouble, you will get it back 3 times. Not if someone causes you pain or harm, youu can cause them harm 3 times. That would probably result in you getting whatever pain you inflected on the other 3 fold...least that is my take on it.

Anyhow, you've probably heard this stuff already but...I just wanted to add my few cents to the bank. Revenge is not justice and revenge is rarely justified. Let fate decide the penance for someone.

Oooo. . . tough question.
For me personally, I am a firm believer in "what goes around, comes around". That having been said, I also believe that if you chose the path of vengance. . . well, see above. ;-)

~Dawna~

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

meown
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 04, 2011, 08:04:35 am
Belgium Belgium

Religion: still searching for answers

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: November 09, 2010, 04:11:39 pm »

Well, what do you guys think about revenge? Sometimes it makes me feel relieved to see a person suffer who made me suffer too. But on the other hand, hate shouldn't consume you entirely. Is revenge justified? Do you turn the other cheek? How far do you go when it comes to revenge, are you actively boycotting that person, or just enjoy when things go wrong?
I was wondering about the rule of 3. I'm not sure if I should follow it or not, but the people who do, do you think revenge is also part of it, like you hurt me, I can hurt you 3 times as hard? Or do you see it in another perspective?

Maybe revenge is a very abstract word, and it depends on the definition given. I see most people's definition here of revenge is to punish people harder than they deserve. Justice is to punish people equal as they deserve.
Well I just want that people get what they deserve.

Well maybe it's time for a real life example that makes me so angry, but I don't know how to handle it right.
I'm in college and we have so much group work. They always turn out bad for me. I'm a very difficult person, with not so many friends in class, but that's okay for me, as long as they don't annoy me. But with the group work I do a lot of work, I'm a quite person but I DO WORK HARD (not everything, that's impossible because it's too much for myself, otherwise I would do it on my own). I feel that others are taking the credit for my work because they are just way more popular in the group (we have a voting system, so you get points from the other group members). If I don't work, things get worse and I'll be suspended from the group. If I talk to them about it, things get worse.
If I go to the teacher, I have nothing to prove because it's a group work and everyone has a copy, so it will be my word against theirs.
I don't want to wrack things, because I have to stay there for another year. But I don't want them to get away with it. I feel like how I turn it, I always loose. Sometimes I just wish I could curse them every time they do me wrong and they get what they deserve. Because I'm not happy with this.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)