The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 16, 2021, 09:47:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2021, 09:47:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Firefighters watch as home burns to the ground  (Read 17638 times)
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #30: October 07, 2010, 08:19:50 am »

Mmmm. This may be harsher than necessary since we don't know all the facts. Specifically, we don't know why he didn't pay the fee - the article says he thought they'd come anyway, but not that that was his only reason for not paying. If he was hard up somehow, through no fault of his own, then we can't blame him for not paying and the decision to let his house burn's regrettable.

And to extend that, we also don't know what provisions are in place to help those who cannot afford the fee.  We don't have all the facts, you're right.

However, again...  However unjust it might be, this is the system as it stands, and while your home is burning is not the time to try to change it.  It's the surprise over the firefighters not doing the thing they weren't paid to do (regardless of why they weren't paid), the expectation that they'll do the job despite their stated requirements not being met, that I have little sympathy for.  We can't blame him for not paying, maybe, but we can blame him for having unrealistic expectations about what would happen as a result of that.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

skyth
Journeyman
Last Login:February 25, 2014, 07:45:14 pm

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: October 07, 2010, 08:23:45 am »

The problem is, remember, that this guy doesn't live in the city. He doesn't pay city taxes. He has no right to demand or expect services from the city. The city made an offer to extend him fire protection for $75 a year...which is a downright bargain in my opinion

The city should be offering the fire (and other government services the county can't provide) service to the county government (Not the individual taxpayers), which should pay for it.  Then the country can raise taxes to pay for it.  I am not saying that it shouldn't be paid for.  Fires are a public-safety concern.  If a person doesn't have the fire service and thier home catches fire, it could easily spread to forests and/or other homes which puts other people's property/lives in jeopardy.  Going to the individual people is really a form of extortion.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #32: October 07, 2010, 08:28:34 am »

Mmmm. This may be harsher than necessary since we don't know all the facts. Specifically, we don't know why he didn't pay the fee -

Ooooo.  Um.  As I was typing my response, a friend was sharing this on Google Reader:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39516346/ns/us_news-life/

"Cranick, who lives outside the city limits, admits he "forgot" to pay the annual $75 fee."

There are still lots of perfectly good reasons why someone might forget, but...

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #33: October 07, 2010, 08:36:02 am »

Ooooo.  Um.  As I was typing my response, a friend was sharing this on Google Reader:

"Cranick, who lives outside the city limits, admits he "forgot" to pay the annual $75 fee."

...definitely leaning towards the not-sympathetic side then.

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #34: October 07, 2010, 08:40:18 am »

During the Facebook discussion I had with a few friends, one of them said they had read (somewhere, no source) that this wasn't the first time this particular fellow "forgot." According to the friend, at least one other incident occurred with this same man--there was a fire, the dept showed up, and let him pay after the fact. Somehow I don't have any trouble believing that, either. "Well, just this once, okay . . ."  (That may have been in a radio or tv interview, come to think of it. It wasn't in a print reference, or they'd have given a link.)

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #35: October 07, 2010, 08:54:42 am »

During the Facebook discussion I had with a few friends, one of them said they had read (somewhere, no source) that this wasn't the first time this particular fellow "forgot." According to the friend, at least one other incident occurred with this same man--there was a fire, the dept showed up, and let him pay after the fact. Somehow I don't have any trouble believing that, either. "Well, just this once, okay . . ."  (That may have been in a radio or tv interview, come to think of it. It wasn't in a print reference, or they'd have given a link.)

I read that about him yesterday. It's one of the main reasons I'm not wholly sympathetic.

Obviously, I think the system as it's currently in place sucks and needs changing (and that would go for any other area where the set up is the same), and this incident drew attention to it, but I'm still imagining standing there while my house burned to the ground with my pets inside and a fire department not willing to put it out. That sets off my pissed off button....I'm just not pissed off at the same side consistently.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: October 07, 2010, 09:07:49 am »

That sets off my pissed off button....I'm just not pissed off at the same side consistently.

It's always fairer to be an equal-opportunities pisser.  Grin

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #37: October 07, 2010, 09:17:32 am »

I read that about him yesterday. It's one of the main reasons I'm not wholly sympathetic.

Obviously, I think the system as it's currently in place sucks and needs changing (and that would go for any other area where the set up is the same), and this incident drew attention to it, but I'm still imagining standing there while my house burned to the ground with my pets inside and a fire department not willing to put it out. That sets off my pissed off button....I'm just not pissed off at the same side consistently.

I got the impression from the article that the house was *empty*.  Was there something about pets in the house, or is that just one of those can't help but see it things?

Because yes, I'd be pissed - but ESPECIALLY if this had happened before I would make DAMN sure to NEVER "forget" to pay that bill again!  Not go "oh, it's $75 per fire, deal if I need to" and walk on.

He should have realized he was playing roulette.  It wasn't a case of "oops".

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #38: October 07, 2010, 09:19:26 am »

I got the impression from the article that the house was *empty*.  Was there something about pets in the house, or is that just one of those can't help but see it things?

Three dogs and a cat.

Because yes, I'd be pissed - but ESPECIALLY if this had happened before I would make DAMN sure to NEVER "forget" to pay that bill again!  Not go "oh, it's $75 per fire, deal if I need to" and walk on.

Like I said, I get pissed at both sides equally.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #39: October 07, 2010, 09:21:22 am »

Three dogs and a cat.

OOF.  Yes, it is harder when there are pets inside.  Ouch.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #40: October 07, 2010, 11:08:27 am »

The city should be offering the fire (and other government services the county can't provide) service to the county government (Not the individual taxpayers), which should pay for it.  Then the country can raise taxes to pay for it.  I am not saying that it shouldn't be paid for.  Fires are a public-safety concern.  If a person doesn't have the fire service and thier home catches fire, it could easily spread to forests and/or other homes which puts other people's property/lives in jeopardy.  Going to the individual people is really a form of extortion.

But, if the local's don't want to pay uped taxes, they  just vote the raised taxes down, which happens all the time, and then the city can go to the individuals and offer services.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Stormraven
Senior Newbie
Last Login:October 05, 2011, 08:55:34 pm

Religion: Panteism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #41: October 07, 2010, 11:58:25 am »

I lived in an area where a fee like this was imposed. We never let anyone's house burn. There was a penalty applied to the bill they received and liens placed if the bill was not paid.

The fire department should lose their status, as should all of the firefighters. I hope they live in shame the rest of their lives. Would they have helped save human life? I am not so sure.

The man  offered to pay whatever they wanted. They wanted his house to burn as an example to others who do not pay. The mayor showed or offfered no remorse only issued a "Its what happens if they don't pay."
You can bet this man was not well thought of in some way, as this is a small town.
In the community I lived, there was a fire at one of the non-favorite residents. The firechief/ex-firechief stalled the trucks. I was an EMT on scene. We helped the children out. Not the fire department. When they arrived they were horrified. The fire fighters worked together to get their chief ousted and we helped.

I needed to vent this.

Thank you.

Abbie
Stormraven

Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:February 05, 2021, 09:36:51 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #42: October 07, 2010, 12:06:28 pm »

There was a penalty applied to the bill they received and liens placed if the bill was not paid.

I think this is a reasonable solution, personally; I think it should be a hefty, deterring fine, so that it doesn't become the norm, but I think something like this is infinitely preferable to watching someone's house burn down.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
folksymama
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2011, 01:56:10 pm

Religion: Kitchen Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #43: October 07, 2010, 12:14:57 pm »

It sounded from the tone of the article like he was fully expecting to just have them show up and pay them later...again.

Here, our fire departments are ALL volunteer.  We live in a very rural area.  When there's a levy, I ALWAYS vote for it, and I generally don't vote for levies.  But always the fire levies, yes.  I almost wish it were opt-in instead of relying on voters.  I would gladly pay $75/year for fire department service.  As it is, I vote for it, and it generally passes, but if it didn't, I'd be up a creek and there wouldn't even be anything I could do about it.  At least if it were opt-in, I could assure that I personally would have some kind of protection.
Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #44: October 07, 2010, 12:18:38 pm »

Three dogs and a cat.

Honestly, the only thing about this that makes me mad at the fire department is the pets.  Why should they burn to death (which, really, is there very many ways to die more horrible that that?) just because their owner is a big douchenozzle. I don't give a shit about his house; he's the fool who decided to take the gamble, if that leaves him homeless for awhile, f**k him, it's his own damn fault.

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)