The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 16, 2021, 10:18:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2021, 10:18:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Firefighters watch as home burns to the ground  (Read 17641 times)
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm
United States United States

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #45: October 07, 2010, 12:31:28 pm »

I lived in an area where a fee like this was imposed. We never let anyone's house burn. There was a penalty applied to the bill they received and liens placed if the bill was not paid.

The fire department should lose their status, as should all of the firefighters. I hope they live in shame the rest of their lives. Would they have helped save human life? I am not so sure.

And as a city resident, how much are you willing to let your property taxes go up to pay for the injured fire fighters?  It was a differnet city mentioned, but I suspect it would be the same here. If the property isn't in the city, or it's not paying the fee, the city's insurance (for injuries / deaths, etc) of fire fighter's doens't cover it.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #46: October 07, 2010, 12:34:53 pm »

Honestly, the only thing about this that makes me mad at the fire department is the pets.  Why should they burn to death (which, really, is there very many ways to die more horrible that that?) just because their owner is a big douchenozzle. I don't give a shit about his house; he's the fool who decided to take the gamble, if that leaves him homeless for awhile, f**k him, it's his own damn fault.

**nods**

That's pretty much how I feel about it.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Owl
Adept Member
Last Login:March 07, 2012, 02:46:28 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #47: October 07, 2010, 02:34:02 pm »

The biggest issue is that this sort of thing shouldn't be fee based at all.

But they actually are - just through taxes so you don't notice.  Even renters pay property taxes - the landlord includes the cost of that in the rent unless they want to lose money.

AntlerandHerb.com
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #48: October 07, 2010, 04:45:53 pm »

But they actually are - just through taxes so you don't notice.

Taxes aren't fees.

mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #49: October 07, 2010, 05:53:36 pm »

Taxes aren't fees.

You can't assess taxes on people who are not in your taxing jursidictions, you can assess fees for services.  Hence the problem. The people prividing the service in this case can only assess fees, which are voluntary, or not provide services.  Which is what they did.

The people in the county that provided the service, I believe they were assessed taxes.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Stormraven
Senior Newbie
Last Login:October 05, 2011, 08:55:34 pm

Religion: Panteism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #50: October 07, 2010, 08:28:23 pm »

And as a city resident, how much are you willing to let your property taxes go up to pay for the injured fire fighters?  It was a differnet city mentioned, but I suspect it would be the same here. If the property isn't in the city, or it's not paying the fee, the city's insurance (for injuries / deaths, etc) of fire fighter's doens't cover it.

The area I was in was the largest unincorporated area of the Western U.S.. The county provided us training, everything else we had to raise by grants and donations. Mostly from local businesses. We  were an all volunteer service.  We held bake sales to buy uniforms. Due to our location we received paid work from the BLM if there was a fire, we donated all of our earnings back to the services. The "Valley" asked for the "required" donation when it hit a growth spirt. Some of the long time desert rats refused to pay.
We never thought, asked, or considered if someone was paid.
We served and protected.
As it should be.
sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #51: October 07, 2010, 09:11:37 pm »

The area I was in was the largest unincorporated area of the Western U.S..

So, fire fighters should not get paid then since you have totally failed to answer my question.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #52: October 07, 2010, 09:29:05 pm »

I won't link to the AFA's website, but LGF has an excerpt that's been making the rounds today.

AFA Spokesman Bryan Fischer: Letting House Burn Down Was 'The Christian Thing To Do'

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/37342_AFA_Spokesman_Bryan_Fischer-_Letting_House_Burn_Down_Was_The_Christian_Thing_To_Do#rss

mandrina
High Adept Member

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #53: October 07, 2010, 09:49:58 pm »

So, fire fighters should not get paid then since you have totally failed to answer my question.

I think in this case the best way for it to be handled would be for the company to hit the homeowner with the cost of the rescue.  Like the fees discussed in a previous thread about people getting hit with charges by rescue companies

http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=13908.0

It is totally appropriate to hit the homeowner with fees if they refused to pay the original yearly levy.  I question the other idea of the fees, but in this case it would be appropriate for the fire company to rescue and bill.

sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #54: October 07, 2010, 10:25:50 pm »

I think in this case the best way for it to be handled would be for the company to hit the homeowner with the cost of the rescue.  Like the fees discussed in a previous thread about people getting hit with charges by rescue companies

http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=13908.0

It is totally appropriate to hit the homeowner with fees if they refused to pay the original yearly levy.  I question the other idea of the fees, but in this case it would be appropriate for the fire company to rescue and bill.

The annual fee is fairly small. Having to pay the fee only when the house is burning seems like a good gamble. Even having to pay the back years fees might be a good gamble. You could free load for years

Make the on-need fee high enough, and I could buy that. Pay $75 a year, or $7,500 when we show up would make the costs benifit analysis a bit tougher.

I'm surprised though that the home owner wasn't required by his home owner's insurance company to pay the annual fee.

Right now, will the all the press, I wouldn't be surprised of the city fire department drops the fee and then in about 15 months after that drops all coverage of places outside of the city boundries. Then more houses will burn down.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #55: October 07, 2010, 10:35:42 pm »

Make the on-need fee high enough, and I could buy that. Pay $75 a year, or $7,500 when we show up would make the costs benifit analysis a bit tougher.

I could live with this, too.

I'm surprised though that the home owner wasn't required by his home owner's insurance company to pay the annual fee.

That's stunning to me, too. I suspect the insurance company will make that a part of future policies, and I don't blame them.

Vermillion
Journeyman
Last Login:December 29, 2013, 04:32:42 pm

Religion: Witchcraft Practitioner- Naturist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #56: October 07, 2010, 10:49:41 pm »

The annual fee is fairly small. Having to pay the fee only when the house is burning seems like a good gamble. Even having to pay the back years fees might be a good gamble. You could free load for years

Right now, will the all the press, I wouldn't be surprised of the city fire department drops the fee and then in about 15 months after that drops all coverage of places outside of the city boundries. Then more houses will burn down.

that was the first thing out of my husband's mouth about this, too. Being newer homeowners, ourselves, out hoe owner's insurance would have been up our rears to pay that. And I'm wondering what this guy's insurance will do once he makes a claim, now. Certainly would be a big blow to have them go, "SORRY! You didn't pay a minor fee, and it's your fault!" Ouchie.....
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #57: October 07, 2010, 10:50:23 pm »

ROFLMAO...I LOVE your avatar.

mandrina
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #58: October 07, 2010, 10:51:09 pm »

excuse me, I meant rescue and bill. The cost of the rescue, not the yearly fee.  Which is probably way more than 7500.  and anyhow, I'd guess the insurance companies for the areas will start including the requirement that people pay the fire fees, if there is one, or risk losing coverage.

sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #59: October 07, 2010, 11:19:33 pm »

excuse me, I meant rescue and bill. The cost of the rescue, not the yearly fee.  Which is probably way more than 7500.  and anyhow, I'd guess the insurance companies for the areas will start including the requirement that people pay the fire fees, if there is one, or risk losing coverage.

OH, OK. That does make sense then. Save $75 a year or pay the entire cost of fighting the fire.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)