The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 30, 2020, 12:55:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2020, 12:55:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Reincarnation and Your Deities  (Read 4413 times)
NibbleKat
Adept Member
Last Login:October 22, 2012, 03:45:56 pm
United States United States

Religion: Hard polytheist dedicated to Hermes, Sequana, and Sirona

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: October 05, 2010, 04:31:31 pm »

I don't remember where I came across the idea of this (swiss-cheese brain, huzzah!), but it got me to thinking a little about it, and I was curious as to others' thoughts...

For those of you who believe in reincarnation, do you believe that your god or gods have followed you on your rebirth path through the ages? Or do you feel that for each incarnation you've come through, there is a separate deity for whatever reason?

What brings you to this conclusion? Just your own UPG or experiences, or what, exactly?

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Available for devotional and altar art commissions at http://nibblekat.deviantart.com

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #1: October 05, 2010, 05:11:49 pm »

My answer may not be useful for you, because I don't believe in direct reincarnation. The soul that I have now may have lived lives before, but it wasn't me. The way I explain it is, think of the soul as a glass of water. When the soul is released at death, it's like pouring the glass of water into a pitcher of water. At some point during pregnancy, a new soul is needed- a new glass is poured. Some of the water that was in the first glass might be in the second, but it's impossible to single out the exact same molecules of H2O to get precisely the same glass of water. Death changes us; it unites us with the divine, and that cannot be undone.

It's entirely possible that the deities I work with in this life have worked with some of my soul molecules before, but it has no bearing on my relationships with them now, or what we do. I am me now; I have never been before, and I will never be again.

As for how I came to this- well, I think it's always just been something I've known, on an instinctual level, the same way I've always known there was more than one god, or that there were spirits living in the forest. I can't point to any event that made the think this way; it's just my default setting, and no amount of debate or discussion has ever made me think otherwise.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #2: October 05, 2010, 05:43:43 pm »

It's entirely possible that the deities I work with in this life have worked with some of my soul molecules before, but it has no bearing on my relationships with them now, or what we do. I am me now; I have never been before, and I will never be again.

What Juni expressed is the view I lean toward, too.

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."
NibbleKat
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: October 05, 2010, 05:51:51 pm »

My answer may not be useful for you, because I don't believe in direct reincarnation. The soul that I have now may have lived lives before, but it wasn't me. The way I explain it is, think of the soul as a glass of water. When the soul is released at death, it's like pouring the glass of water into a pitcher of water. At some point during pregnancy, a new soul is needed- a new glass is poured. Some of the water that was in the first glass might be in the second, but it's impossible to single out the exact same molecules of H2O to get precisely the same glass of water. Death changes us; it unites us with the divine, and that cannot be undone.

I hadn't really thought of it in such a succinct way before... but reading what you have said has really put into focus what I think I believe in, as well. *nodnod*

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Available for devotional and altar art commissions at http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #4: October 05, 2010, 06:04:23 pm »

The way Juni put it, explains pretty well what I believe.

I never believed that "I" was there before and that "I" will be there again.
I will only be now and here and only for once Tana.

This was what I believed even before my thoughts went the same way as Juni describes it.

My Ego is not very happy with the thought of being dissolved and mingled and returning not itself anymore.
But it does make sense. I do remember a few past-life-things, which I guess are a bigger portion of that former persons souls in my soul now. Or it might be exchanged memories while we all were floating around in the pitcher - who knows.  Cheesy

So I really cant answer if I think that my Lady has been with me through incarnations, but I am pretty sure that she is with me in this life from the very start.

That is UPG too of course, but all that is important for me now. Smiley

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Nimue
Master Member
Last Login:May 09, 2011, 10:31:43 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: October 05, 2010, 10:13:47 pm »

I don't remember where I came across the idea of this (swiss-cheese brain, huzzah!), but it got me to thinking a little about it, and I was curious as to others' thoughts...

For those of you who believe in reincarnation, do you believe that your god or gods have followed you on your rebirth path through the ages? Or do you feel that for each incarnation you've come through, there is a separate deity for whatever reason?

What brings you to this conclusion? Just your own UPG or experiences, or what, exactly?

I think deities can follow a person, but it depends more on whether the person and deity would find such a relationship beneficial in this life.  This is completely UPG, but from random "flashbacks" I believe I used to be a worshiper of Bast.  She appeared in my first deity centered dream when I first started practicing, and gave me a warning that the world of magic is not all light and happiness and to be careful.  But other than that any attempts I have made to work with her have just not felt right, like I am supposed to be focusing on other deities at this point.
NibbleKat
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: October 06, 2010, 04:11:00 pm »

The way Juni put it, explains pretty well what I believe.

I never believed that "I" was there before and that "I" will be there again.
I will only be now and here and only for once Tana.

My Ego is not very happy with the thought of being dissolved and mingled and returning not itself anymore.
But it does make sense. I do remember a few past-life-things, which I guess are a bigger portion of that former persons souls in my soul now. Or it might be exchanged memories while we all were floating around in the pitcher - who knows.  Cheesy

So I really cant answer if I think that my Lady has been with me through incarnations, but I am pretty sure that she is with me in this life from the very start.

Well, I dunno, I think you're the same YOU (not trying to convert you, of course), but bits and pieces can be left behind in reserve for the Next Time. That's how I see it...

But that's an interesting take on what you believe!

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
NibbleKat
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: October 06, 2010, 04:12:36 pm »

I think deities can follow a person, but it depends more on whether the person and deity would find such a relationship beneficial in this life.  This is completely UPG, but from random "flashbacks" I believe I used to be a worshiper of Bast.  She appeared in my first deity centered dream when I first started practicing, and gave me a warning that the world of magic is not all light and happiness and to be careful.  But other than that any attempts I have made to work with her have just not felt right, like I am supposed to be focusing on other deities at this point.

I suppose that if the "you" that reincarnates has learned something from the past, and no longer needs to learn it, then maybe the guidance of a deity that would have helped in that particular life before is no longer needed once that thing is learned... Kind of what you're saying, in a sense, in regards to beneficial?

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Nimue
Master Member
Last Login:May 09, 2011, 10:31:43 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: October 07, 2010, 02:14:20 am »

I suppose that if the "you" that reincarnates has learned something from the past, and no longer needs to learn it, then maybe the guidance of a deity that would have helped in that particular life before is no longer needed once that thing is learned... Kind of what you're saying, in a sense, in regards to beneficial?

More or less, or perhaps the circumstances in this life are different.
NibbleKat
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: October 07, 2010, 02:08:14 pm »

More or less, or perhaps the circumstances in this life are different.

*nodnod* I gotcha.

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Vermillion
Journeyman
Last Login:December 29, 2013, 04:32:42 pm

Religion: Witchcraft Practitioner- Naturist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: October 07, 2010, 02:50:54 pm »

As for how I came to this- well, I think it's always just been something I've known, on an instinctual level, the same way I've always known there was more than one god, or that there were spirits living in the forest. I can't point to any event that made the think this way; it's just my default setting, and no amount of debate or discussion has ever made me think otherwise.

I used to believe exactly like this when it came to this subject, however, a story told to me by a 5 year old child once changed my mind. I have a close family friend who lost a child at age 2 to a short illness. Later on they had another child, who oddly looked and acted almost exactly like the previous one. When that child turned 5 he was talking to a bunch of adults on day about the day he had to leave his mommy. He told how his Mommy cried and cried and placed his favorite teddy bear in the "box" with him and closed the lid. He wanted to come back, but couldn't. And, then he got to come back to his Mommy, but different this time.

There was no way for this child to know about the bear in the casket, because no pictures were ever taken during the services, and the parents never spoke about it since there was a rule that you couldn't put things in the caskets before burial with that specific funeral home. The only persons who knew about it were Mom and Dad. Needless to say we all looked at the very shocked, almost horrified looks on Mom and Dad's faces, and it told me everything I needed to know.

I now believe that once souls are divided from the Divine, we stay divided in that form. We likely "dock" with the Divine when reunited to deposit the things we've learned and to rest awhile before being deployed again. Almost like an alien mothership for lack of a better term. I believe all souls stay intact, and more new souls are separated from the Divine as needed. The term "old soul" has taken on new meaning for me.
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #11: October 07, 2010, 03:32:07 pm »

Wow, what a great story.
And isnt there a believe that folks incarnates in the own family again.

Cant remember where I have read it.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
NibbleKat
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: October 07, 2010, 03:50:47 pm »

I used to believe exactly like this when it came to this subject, however, a story told to me by a 5 year old child once changed my mind. I have a close family friend who lost a child at age 2 to a short illness. Later on they had another child, who oddly looked and acted almost exactly like the previous one. When that child turned 5 he was talking to a bunch of adults on day about the day he had to leave his mommy. He told how his Mommy cried and cried and placed his favorite teddy bear in the "box" with him and closed the lid. He wanted to come back, but couldn't. And, then he got to come back to his Mommy, but different this time.

There was no way for this child to know about the bear in the casket, because no pictures were ever taken during the services, and the parents never spoke about it since there was a rule that you couldn't put things in the caskets before burial with that specific funeral home. The only persons who knew about it were Mom and Dad. Needless to say we all looked at the very shocked, almost horrified looks on Mom and Dad's faces, and it told me everything I needed to know.

I now believe that once souls are divided from the Divine, we stay divided in that form. We likely "dock" with the Divine when reunited to deposit the things we've learned and to rest awhile before being deployed again. Almost like an alien mothership for lack of a better term. I believe all souls stay intact, and more new souls are separated from the Divine as needed. The term "old soul" has taken on new meaning for me.

That is a creepyassed, awesome story. I love it! Wow.  Thank you for sharing that one. It reminds me of the stories in "Old Souls: Compelling Evidence from Children Who Remember Past Lives" By Tom Shroder.  Most of the stuff he talks about takes place in India, though...

So what do you believe in terms of deities and reincarnation?

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Vermillion
Journeyman
Last Login:December 29, 2013, 04:32:42 pm

Religion: Witchcraft Practitioner- Naturist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: October 07, 2010, 04:35:07 pm »

That is a creepyassed, awesome story. I love it! Wow.  Thank you for sharing that one. It reminds me of the stories in "Old Souls: Compelling Evidence from Children Who Remember Past Lives" By Tom Shroder.  Most of the stuff he talks about takes place in India, though...

So what do you believe in terms of deities and reincarnation?

That's a very good question, and sadly, I'm not really sure. Since I don't believe in deities as in separate, sentient entities, and believe in them more in terms of faces of forces all controlled by the same Divine, I am not truly in line with deities following a person throughout lives. I think it's more of a case of, the Divine sends whichever deity that you need at a particular time. Perhaps, you need certain ones through several lifetimes, but I think it's determined by whichever lessons one has to learn this time around. Again, I'm not totally sure if that's where I stand on it, yet.
NibbleKat
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: October 07, 2010, 05:40:43 pm »

That's a very good question, and sadly, I'm not really sure. Since I don't believe in deities as in separate, sentient entities, and believe in them more in terms of faces of forces all controlled by the same Divine, I am not truly in line with deities following a person throughout lives. I think it's more of a case of, the Divine sends whichever deity that you need at a particular time. Perhaps, you need certain ones through several lifetimes, but I think it's determined by whichever lessons one has to learn this time around. Again, I'm not totally sure if that's where I stand on it, yet.

Smiley

I'm so not in tune with the idea of Divine, myself! I need to read a little more about it. Heheh.

Follower of Hermes!
------------------

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)