The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 29, 2020, 08:21:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2020, 08:21:26 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Living Dead  (Read 7637 times)
hassMysteria
Journeyman
Last Login:November 29, 2007, 05:59:40 pm
United States United States

Religion: Solitary Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 06, 2007, 11:57:13 am »

I was just curious if anyone else knows anything about true accounts of the living dead?

I dunno...I may sound nuts in asking, maybe my brother's taunts have brought me to reconsider preparing for survival........but then again, that sounds crazy even to me.

However I don't find the Solanum virus to be one hard to believe. Nor do the countless accounts and histories speak to the nature of my disbelief...rather, supports that the living dead have been "alive" and present since ancient times....and if anyone has read anything about it, it's actually really odd b/c most of the accounts or findings have happened one after another, some caused by the previous account and so on...........much like it would seem to happen. A lot of these accounts are hidden under fake stories of gang shootouts, "crazies", etc.....the fact of zombies has been hidden....but to philosophers and scientists alike still a drawn back to the thought....and ofcourse the everpresent zombie movies.........which I adore....but for the most part the resemblence of a movie zombie and a true zombie is little....cept ofcourse the eating flesh part.

I dunno...maybe I read too much............maybe my brother *is* just crazy  Cheesy

your thoughts?

"envy is ignorance; imitation is suicide"

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Ocelot
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:October 02, 2011, 12:45:59 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: June 06, 2007, 12:20:06 pm »

I was just curious if anyone else knows anything about true accounts of the living dead?

I dunno...I may sound nuts in asking, maybe my brother's taunts have brought me to reconsider preparing for survival........but then again, that sounds crazy even to me.

However I don't find the Solanum virus to be one hard to believe. Nor do the countless accounts and histories speak to the nature of my disbelief...rather, supports that the living dead have been "alive" and present since ancient times....and if anyone has read anything about it, it's actually really odd b/c most of the accounts or findings have happened one after another, some caused by the previous account and so on...........much like it would seem to happen. A lot of these accounts are hidden under fake stories of gang shootouts, "crazies", etc.....the fact of zombies has been hidden....but to philosophers and scientists alike still a drawn back to the thought....and ofcourse the everpresent zombie movies.........which I adore....but for the most part the resemblence of a movie zombie and a true zombie is little....cept ofcourse the eating flesh part.

I dunno...maybe I read too much............maybe my brother *is* just crazy  Cheesy

your thoughts?

Here is a link with info about the Solanum virus:
A fictional zombie virus invented by satirial writer Max Brooks (son of Mel Brooks, who was the director of Space Balls). The virus "Solanum" attempts to justify the hack work of George Romano by describing an entirely impossible zombie virus.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Solanum

~<>~ Flame of light, flame of dark, working together, never apart.
Dancing in harmony, balance assured, dark absorbs so light may endure.~<>~

Blog: http://ocelotsden.blogspot.com/
FlameKeeping: http://www.flamekeeping.org/
hassMysteria
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 06, 2007, 01:36:26 pm »

Here is a link with info about the Solanum virus:
A fictional zombie virus invented by satirial writer Max Brooks (son of Mel Brooks, who was the director of Space Balls). The virus "Solanum" attempts to justify the hack work of George Romano by describing an entirely impossible zombie virus.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Solanum

Oh yes, I definately know of Max Brooks *The Zombie Survival Guide* for shr.   Buuuut....what about thoughts on the possibility of such things existing......not saying that they do....but just for discussion sake I think it's an interesting topic nonetheless, rather than just something to be disproved or proven.

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: June 06, 2007, 01:52:04 pm »

Oh yes, I definately know of Max Brooks *The Zombie Survival Guide* for shr.   Buuuut....what about thoughts on the possibility of such things existing......not saying that they do....but just for discussion sake I think it's an interesting topic nonetheless, rather than just something to be disproved or proven.

I think it's a deep atavistic fear.  The fear of the unknown and the frightening.  The fear of death and the dead.

There are fears and superstitions about dead in almost every society.  Today we view death as something that should be curable, something that should be avoided.  Almost a personal affront.  It's inevitable, but we still fear it.

What could be worse, then, than the dead attacking?  The ones we thought were gone coming to take us with them.  The dead killing us and us joining their awful army, one body at a time?

What could be more frightening than the body of your loved ones coming after you, wanting to kill you?  Being jealous of life itself.

It's our darkest fear given form.  But that doesn't make it real.

Just terrifying.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Ocelot
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:October 02, 2011, 12:45:59 pm

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: June 06, 2007, 01:54:49 pm »

But if they don't exist (and I don't believe they do) then the only point in discussing it would be  in a fictional sense, for entertainment.  Besides, "living dead" is an oxymoron in and of itself  Wink

~<>~ Flame of light, flame of dark, working together, never apart.
Dancing in harmony, balance assured, dark absorbs so light may endure.~<>~

Blog: http://ocelotsden.blogspot.com/
FlameKeeping: http://www.flamekeeping.org/
violentsound
Journeyman
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:15:47 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Witch

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 06, 2007, 02:16:36 pm »

A lot of these accounts are hidden under fake stories of gang shootouts, "crazies", etc.....the fact of zombies has been hidden...

I am reminded of Return of the Living Dead where Frank is telling Freddy about the canister in the basement. "The government covered it up!"

Cue the 45 Grave!

but for the most part the resemblence of a movie zombie and a true zombie is little....cept ofcourse the eating flesh part.

Unless you're talking like, Haitian zombies, which were never really thought of as flesh eaters. Just really cheap labour.
Lily
Master Member
Last Login:April 10, 2008, 04:53:56 pm

Religion: Lazy polytheist with Kemetic leanings.

Blog entries (6)

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 06, 2007, 02:39:25 pm »

Unless you're talking like, Haitian zombies, which were never really thought of as flesh eaters. Just really cheap labour.

I saw a documentary about those, on the WorldLink channel a few years back. Aren't they technically not dead, just severely neurologically damaged (unable to think on their own due to the poison used to "transform" them)? I found a link, but I don't know how accurate or trustworthy the info is. It had a section about the toxin used (powder obtained from a kind of Puffer fish).

On the show I watched, they basically hinted that these are normal, very much alive people, and that putting them in that state of drugged, damaged stupor is akin to slavery.  Huh  Undecided

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/biology/b103/f00/web2/rowlett2.html
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: June 06, 2007, 02:50:44 pm »

A lot of these accounts are hidden under fake stories of gang shootouts, "crazies", etc.....the fact of zombies has been hidden

I don't really want to distract from the discussion of Haitian 'zombies', but... do you have any evidence, or grounds for basing this on?  Maybe you didn't mean it the way it comes across, because you talk about people coming back to the *idea* of zombies...

But I don't think you can really claim that zombies are a 'fact.'  I suspect I may be misreading you here.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
violentsound
Journeyman
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:15:47 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Witch

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 06, 2007, 03:22:21 pm »

I saw a documentary about those, on the WorldLink channel a few years back. Aren't they technically not dead, just severely neurologically damaged (unable to think on their own due to the poison used to "transform" them)? I found a link, but I don't know how accurate or trustworthy the info is. It had a section about the toxin used (powder obtained from a kind of Puffer fish).

Yeah, I've read that. And there was that whole "Serpent and the Rainbow" guy who said he had figured it out but it turned out he was a total liar or whatever... (I don't have my zombie notes with me, sadly. ... Yes, I have zombie notes.)
hassMysteria
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 06, 2007, 03:35:39 pm »

I don't really want to distract from the discussion of Haitian 'zombies', but... do you have any evidence, or grounds for basing this on?  Maybe you didn't mean it the way it comes across, because you talk about people coming back to the *idea* of zombies...

But I don't think you can really claim that zombies are a 'fact.'  I suspect I may be misreading you here.

I have a bad habit of taking one side and sticking with it, whether it is my own personal belief or not...for the sake of debate/discussion...etc. and yes, I have had this conversation with my brother very often.....along with argument olympics w/ my dad...where the sky is invariably not blue.

No, I do not believe that there are "living dead" ...I do however, enjoy conversations about them, fictional or not.

But if they don't exist (and I don't believe they do) then the only point in discussing it would be  in a fictional sense, for entertainment.  Besides, "living dead" is an oxymoron in and of itself  Wink

yes, exactly...discussion for the sake of entertainment is really the only reason I partake in conversation in the first place  Wink

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: June 06, 2007, 03:39:21 pm »

yes, exactly...discussion for the sake of entertainment is really the only reason I partake in conversation in the first place  Wink

It would probably GREATLY help discussion here if you make it clear at the beginning whether you *believe* something or just want to talk about the *possibilities*.

There's no problem with chat for the sake of chat, but knowing which you mean at the beginning greatly enhances conversation.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
hassMysteria
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: June 06, 2007, 03:41:52 pm »

I am reminded of Return of the Living Dead where Frank is telling Freddy about the canister in the basement. "The government covered it up!"

Cue the 45 Grave!

YES! zombie notes....more people should have them.

I read about the Haitian zombies...aren't they only *almost* dead...not sure how to express that any other way than almost dead..  Cheesy

hassMysteria
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: June 06, 2007, 03:45:25 pm »

It would probably GREATLY help discussion here if you make it clear at the beginning whether you *believe* something or just want to talk about the *possibilities*.

There's no problem with chat for the sake of chat, but knowing which you mean at the beginning greatly enhances conversation.

ummm...sorry? I just write the way I write....sorry if it was confusing...I didn't think it was though  Tongue  Wink

nigel
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2010, 10:44:56 pm

Religion: Seeking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: June 06, 2007, 05:14:37 pm »

I saw a documentary about those, on the WorldLink channel a few years back. Aren't they technically not dead, [...]

Well, looking at a scientific approach, no they are not dead just really drugged (supposedly). Now then from what I understand of Haitian lore, they are dead in the sense that the body and soul are separated, but the soul is still here. Usually it has just been captured by a sorcerer, or sometimes from one of the Baron's as I have read somewhere else.

Note: I can't remember where I get most of this and so thus can't provide sources, also some of it is based on my understanding of it.

----------------------------------------------
I'm a naughty monkey
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: June 06, 2007, 05:47:44 pm »

None whatsoever. The stories probably got their start when people who were not really quite dead were "laid to rest" and managed to claw their way back to the surface -- but even this is speculation.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)