The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 29, 2020, 09:05:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2020, 09:05:54 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Living Dead  (Read 7638 times)
Prickle
Journeyman
Last Login:June 29, 2012, 03:32:14 pm
United States United States

Religion: Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: June 06, 2007, 08:15:54 pm »

rather, supports that the living dead have been "alive" and present since ancient times....I dunno...maybe I read too much............maybe my brother *is* just crazy  Cheesy

your thoughts?

Definitely the idea of the living dead has been around since ancient times.

Norse folklore has the Draugar, the walking dead. Their discription is very similar to modern movie Zombies.

They are animated corpses, actively decomposing and smell like rotting meat. The prefered method for killing them is by beheading. They usually come back to attack family members but will also attack those who get too close to the burial mound they live in.

Google brought up mostly death metal bands with that name but here's a link with more details, it's Wikipedia but the info isn't too bad:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draugr

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

hassMysteria
Journeyman
Last Login:November 29, 2007, 05:59:40 pm

Religion: Solitary Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: June 06, 2007, 10:42:05 pm »

Definitely the idea of the living dead has been around since ancient times.

Norse folklore has the Draugar, the walking dead. Their discription is very similar to modern movie Zombies.

They are animated corpses, actively decomposing and smell like rotting meat. The prefered method for killing them is by beheading. They usually come back to attack family members but will also attack those who get too close to the burial mound they live in.

Google brought up mostly death metal bands with that name but here's a link with more details, it's Wikipedia but the info isn't too bad:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draugr

yeh, and there are also Egyptian heiroglyphs that show a human figure with another, smaller, human figure in the larger human glyph's mouth.

*checking out the link*

"envy is ignorance; imitation is suicide"
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #17: June 06, 2007, 11:29:02 pm »

yeh, and there are also Egyptian heiroglyphs that show a human figure with another, smaller, human figure in the larger human glyph's mouth.

*checking out the link*

In Kemetic the living dead or ghosts are called muuet (mut is singular). 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: June 07, 2007, 04:36:38 am »

Do you have any sources for that?  I saw that in Max Brook's work, but I'm not going to believe it until I see it outside of a fictional work.  Any Kemetics who can comment?

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
hassMysteria
Journeyman
Last Login:November 29, 2007, 05:59:40 pm

Religion: Solitary Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: June 07, 2007, 10:15:37 pm »

In Kemetic the living dead or ghosts are called muuet (mut is singular). 

That's interesting. Do you know what the exact interpretation of 'muuet' is? Is it just "living dead", or did the Egyptians refer to them as something else? or was it just an idea to them as it is to us? ((I don't know if that last question can even be answered unless we went back to their time...just really interested in learning about Egyptian ideology))

"envy is ignorance; imitation is suicide"
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #20: June 08, 2007, 08:53:07 pm »

That's interesting. Do you know what the exact interpretation of 'muuet' is? Is it just "living dead", or did the Egyptians refer to them as something else? or was it just an idea to them as it is to us? ((I don't know if that last question can even be answered unless we went back to their time...just really interested in learning about Egyptian ideology))

As far as I know, that's what they were called. 

Ghost is probably a better translation than living dead since "living dead" could be the blessed ancestors who were enjoying eternal life in Wesir's realm. 

Muuet were often wandering spirits who didn't get judged or a proper whatever so they stayed and haunted people.  As to why, I'd figure that depended on the spirit.  The Ancient Gods Speak edited by Donald B. Redford has more information about this. 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)