The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 07, 2022, 01:34:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2022, 01:34:16 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Green Witchcraft?  (Read 23661 times)
Zoe Moonchild
Master Member
Last Login:July 22, 2011, 06:29:35 am
United States United States

Religion: Celtic Pagan
TCN ID: Zoe Moonchild

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: October 15, 2010, 07:34:05 pm »

In browsing some threads I saw some references to the tradition of Green Witch.  There were a couple of other references to belief systems/traditions that were similar.  Is there a board here that explains the foundational beliefs of this tradition and/or anything falling under similiar beliefs?  If not, are there some accurate books on the topic?  I don't want books full of how to's so much as I would like something that explains foundational beliefs and how they are applied to everyday life.  Websites are good too.  Thanks for any direction.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 09:00:44 pm by Star, Reason: Making subject line more specific » Logged

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take,
it is measured by the moments that take your breath away.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

stephyjh
Master Member
Last Login:October 01, 2013, 01:56:16 am
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Celtic polytheist with Native American influences
TCN ID: stephyjh

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: October 15, 2010, 08:51:33 pm »

In browsing some threads I saw some references to the tradition of Green Witch.  There were a couple of other references to belief systems/traditions that were similar.  Is there a board here that explains the foundational beliefs of this tradition and/or anything falling under similiar beliefs?  If not, are there some accurate books on the topic?  I don't want books full of how to's so much as I would like something that explains foundational beliefs and how they are applied to everyday life.  Websites are good too.  Thanks for any direction.

Green Witch is kind of a vague term, connected to the concepts of kitchen/hedgewitchery, and it's not necessarily religion-specific. The idea of it is basically using things found in nature or grown in one's garden as part of one's ritual. A good place to start, if you're of a Wiccan/wiccish bent and are looking for natural magic 101, would be Ellen Dugan's books.

Zoe Moonchild
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: October 16, 2010, 08:20:28 am »

Green Witch is kind of a vague term, connected to the concepts of kitchen/hedgewitchery, and it's not necessarily religion-specific. The idea of it is basically using things found in nature or grown in one's garden as part of one's ritual. A good place to start, if you're of a Wiccan/wiccish bent and are looking for natural magic 101, would be Ellen Dugan's books.

Thanks so much.  I will look that author up and see what I find.  Sorry my name wasn't right.  There are so many different traditions that I find it's hard to keep up with them all.   Smiley

SleepyRedGirl
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 04:34:30 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Solitary witch-in-training, Heathen leanings

Always learning - often repeat lessons.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: October 16, 2010, 09:05:45 am »

The author Ann Moura wrote the 'Green Witchcraft' series of books (and Green Magic), books which are by no means the 'be-all-and-end-all' of beliefs/practices labelled as Green Witchcraft, but are of a Wiccish perspective. I have them and refer to them often for lengthy herbal correspondence lists and general inspiration.

I will get thoroughly bashed, I reckon, if I don't mention Moura's iffy history and religious bias. Her book on the history of witchcraft is roundly trounced whenever mentioned, in tC's review for example. An attitude of EVUL PATRIARCHAL XTIANS permeates and surfaces in the theology chapters in the Green Witchcraft series, but can be easily ignored - it does one better to read history books for historical information, and pagan books for creative inspiration, in my experience.

Life being short on laughs, I decided to wear a pentacle.

Poppet Maker
Zoe Moonchild
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: October 16, 2010, 11:42:58 am »

The author Ann Moura wrote the 'Green Witchcraft' series of books (and Green Magic), books which are by no means the 'be-all-and-end-all' of beliefs/practices labelled as Green Witchcraft, but are of a Wiccish perspective. I have them and refer to them often for lengthy herbal correspondence lists and general inspiration.

I will get thoroughly bashed, I reckon, if I don't mention Moura's iffy history and religious bias. Her book on the history of witchcraft is roundly trounced whenever mentioned, in tC's review for example. An attitude of EVUL PATRIARCHAL XTIANS permeates and surfaces in the theology chapters in the Green Witchcraft series, but can be easily ignored - it does one better to read history books for historical information, and pagan books for creative inspiration, in my experience.

Thanks so much.  I have her Grimore and I enjoy using it as reference material.  I'll see what else she may have that I could use ... and I'll avoid the history.   Wink

knitsy
Journeyman
Last Login:January 12, 2012, 09:51:08 am

Religion: I am Me.

Stonky Bonk.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: October 16, 2010, 12:01:07 pm »

In browsing some threads I saw some references to the tradition of Green Witch.  There were a couple of other references to belief systems/traditions that were similar.  Is there a board here that explains the foundational beliefs of this tradition and/or anything falling under similiar beliefs?  If not, are there some accurate books on the topic?  I don't want books full of how to's so much as I would like something that explains foundational beliefs and how they are applied to everyday life.  Websites are good too.  Thanks for any direction.

MARIAN GREEN! MARIAN GREEN! MARIAN GREEN! Gogogo.

http://www.amazon.com/Witch-Alone-New-Thirteen-Natural/dp/0007133235/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1287244671&sr=8-3
http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Witchcraft-Timeless-Crafts-Country/dp/0007120214/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1287244741&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Witchcraft-Guide-Natural-Herbal/dp/0007145438/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1287244803&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/PRACTICAL-MAGIC-Marian-Green/dp/1843095149/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1287244825&sr=1-2

Seriously. She is amazing. I would totally go to her house and be like, can I water your flowers? Can I bake you cookies?

...Maude?

[Warning: Fool]
Zoe Moonchild
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: October 16, 2010, 12:08:08 pm »

Cool!  I will check these out in a bit.  Speaking of watering flowers ... mine are thristy.  lol 

knitsy
Journeyman

Stonky Bonk.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: October 16, 2010, 11:37:41 pm »

Cool!  I will check these out in a bit.  Speaking of watering flowers ... mine are thristy.  lol 

She is a very well-rounded woman. Worth taking a great deal of advice from. I can't suggest her highly enough.

...Maude?

SleepyRedGirl
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: October 18, 2010, 06:08:26 am »

Thanks so much.  I have her Grimore and I enjoy using it as reference material.  I'll see what else she may have that I could use ... and I'll avoid the history.   Wink

I second, third and fourth the Marian Green too. I have A Witch Alone (found on the UK Amazon for 1p sans postage), Gentle Arts of Aquarian Magic, Magic for the Aquarian Age. Experiments in Aquarian Magic, Elements of Natural Magic and Everyday Magic. If I'm correct, those are her older ones, and I've not read any of the newer ones. These are very theory and discussion, with gentle hints as to exercise, rather than Do this, do this, do this, x = y, a = b, and does 2 + 2 =5?

If that makes sense!

Poppet Maker
Zoe Moonchild
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: October 18, 2010, 07:03:50 am »

I second, third and fourth the Marian Green too. I have A Witch Alone (found on the UK Amazon for 1p sans postage), Gentle Arts of Aquarian Magic, Magic for the Aquarian Age. Experiments in Aquarian Magic, Elements of Natural Magic and Everyday Magic. If I'm correct, those are her older ones, and I've not read any of the newer ones. These are very theory and discussion, with gentle hints as to exercise, rather than Do this, do this, do this, x = y, a = b, and does 2 + 2 =5?

If that makes sense!

After reading up on her and Ms. Dugan I can't wait to get some of their books.  I have been contemplating maybe an online class or two as well.  Something to get more in depth with. 

SleepyRedGirl
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: October 18, 2010, 07:28:57 am »

After reading up on her and Ms. Dugan I can't wait to get some of their books.  I have been contemplating maybe an online class or two as well.  Something to get more in depth with. 

Which online class/es, if you don't mind me asking?

Poppet Maker
knitsy
Journeyman

Stonky Bonk.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: October 18, 2010, 08:02:35 am »

If that makes sense!

Ahhh, thank you! I'm trying to get my hand on EVERYTHING she has and I didn't know what her older books were called. That is very helpful, thanks!

I really enjoyed A Witch Alone and Wild Witchcraft--both were fantastic. I'm a little iffy on her spells, really, but that's because I fancy writing my own. Otherwise her philosophies and thoughts are enlightening. I'm going to pop over to Amazon now.

...Maude?

Zoe Moonchild
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: October 18, 2010, 10:21:40 am »

Which online class/es, if you don't mind me asking?

I looked through the classes that Ellen Dugan offers and thought that a few of them might be interesting.  I thought I might take the cheapest one first (after getting and reading her book) and just see if I liked it/learned anything from it.  I also want to check out the online college/classes that Marian Green has as well.  I enjoy formalized learning and wondered if it might help me find some of the answers that I've been looking for about The Craft, especially Green Witchcraft.  Have you taken any classes like this?

SleepyRedGirl
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: October 19, 2010, 06:32:00 am »

Ahhh, thank you! I'm trying to get my hand on EVERYTHING she has and I didn't know what her older books were called. That is very helpful, thanks!

I really enjoyed A Witch Alone and Wild Witchcraft--both were fantastic. I'm a little iffy on her spells, really, but that's because I fancy writing my own. Otherwise her philosophies and thoughts are enlightening. I'm going to pop over to Amazon now.

On Amazon et al, the older books can be found a darn sight cheaper than new ones. Marian Green's my case in point, with 'Witch Alone' being offered in one paperback format for four quid (sans postage), or in another only slightly older for one penny (sans postage). Three Green books I've bought for a penny, one from Stewart Farrar in hardback...

I love the 'Aquarian Magic' books because I enjoy her writing style and perspective on the building blocks of magic, and 'Natural Magic' for the same input on the natural world in everyday life. I've been able to buy them all cheaply in the UK, so I consider it a very worthwhile investment. In my opinion, it's good base theory, in a solid textual format - no divergence for 'unsubstantiated folklore titbit in pretty floral box' or 'generic picture of the Goddess, armed with hair straightners, Immac and Maybelline'.

Poppet Maker
SleepyRedGirl
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: October 19, 2010, 06:40:51 am »

I looked through the classes that Ellen Dugan offers and thought that a few of them might be interesting.  I thought I might take the cheapest one first (after getting and reading her book) and just see if I liked it/learned anything from it.  I also want to check out the online college/classes that Marian Green has as well.  I enjoy formalized learning and wondered if it might help me find some of the answers that I've been looking for about The Craft, especially Green Witchcraft.  Have you taken any classes like this?

I've not, my money feels safer buying books. Not always true of course, and not to impugn worthwhile courses, but I'm less comfortable forking over my quids for internet courses. On the other hand, I don't really have access to (at time of typing) to any pagan/witchcraft groups or member individuals, and I've spent two years exploring the ultimate base 101 levels to find out exactly what feels right for me to pursue. Some people, in two years, would have left me coughing in their dust trail.

I'd closely check the syllabus for the courses and amount of contact with the tutor. If there's something on offer that you haven't found in books, or open communication channels for you to ask the questions that books can't answer for you, and you're happy about the worth of the exchange, by all means go for it. Perhaps after it you can come back and tell me I'm being far too cautious.

Poppet Maker

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)