The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 30, 2022, 11:33:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 30, 2022, 11:33:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Green Witchcraft?  (Read 24276 times)
Zoe Moonchild
Master Member
Last Login:July 22, 2011, 06:29:35 am
United States United States

Religion: Celtic Pagan
TCN ID: Zoe Moonchild

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: October 19, 2010, 01:44:14 pm »

Why, thank you much. I know what you mean about not having anyone to ask - I have one sympathetic listener who gives me the view from the non-practitioner's side of the fence. Most of the time he says that he has no idea what I'm talking about and doesn't know what to say in reply, but every now and again he comes up top, asking me a question I'd never thought to ask myself but leaves me thinking about some very important holes / patches in my theory to address.

On the other hand, that dirt trail in the woods? Sometimes there's nothing quite like being on a dirt trail in the middle of the woods, hearing patterns in the gusts of the wind, seeing the nervous bird scuttling through the brush, and scaring yourself witless when something unseen makes a hell of a racket. After months of practice, I finally learned to meditate (completely unintentionally) under an ash tree on a riverbank. Not your point, I know, but I couldn't resist.

I've not found a trad, or theology that I fit 100% with, and it's not for lack of searching. But eclectic witches exist for a reason, and 'eclectic' would be a fair description of my work. I find things that work well for me, research them as much as I can, and adapt that knowledge. The key I hold myself to is research: I'm no academic, but I see the folly in picking and choosing facets without being acquainted with the whole. I'm interested in using runes in magic, and I like to make offerings to land spirits. I'm reading about these from a northern point of view, reading the Northern lore and taking an interest in ongoing archaeology in my country, keeping an eye and ear free for news of Dark Age finds, and looking at mundane and potential magical existing runic inscriptions. I'm not a heathen by any means, and certainly no Asatruar, but I'm learning so much and my practice being enriched by reading Norse lore. I think of Woden a lot day-to-day, but I don't invoke him or ask his help because we have not been introduced, so to speak. But still, he influences me.

I find that looking at similarities (and differences) between different practice helps me work out what is important, and utilising and altering certain things leads me to find out why things are important. Casting a circle Neo-Wiccan style was indispensable to me, once upon a time. As I read more, I found out that some practices make preparations prior to ritual that alter the working space somewhat, some practices simply have a prayer, and some practitioners need no preparation what so ever. I considered them all carefully, and after a little experimentation I have my own three-step sacred-space-making procedure. Might not make sense to others at first, but it works for me and, most importantly, I know what every action is for. I know exactly what I'm doing. Good ol' research and experimentation.

I can't place the name, but I once read that the most useful books are in the history, anthropology and psychology sections of the bookstore, and you'll get more from those than from a book with the word 'witch' in the title or a crescent moon on the cover. Not that I don't buy a worrying about of books with the word 'witch' in the title or a crescent moon on the cover - sometimes you do get a little illumination from the author's perspective, but they never fascinate me as much as a documentary on Viking society in the city of York can.

You are very welcome!   Grin

You know ... you really have a point there about the dirt road.  When I need to just center myself I don't cast a circle, burn a candle or pray.  I go for a walk through the woods.  I am very blessed to be in the middle of nowhere and have lots of natural woods around the house.  I can take off in any of three directions and go for a long way before I run into a road, house or person.  I can breathe, smell, look and basically just soak up nature.  It's hunting season now <ugh!> and I have to be careful how far I roam but there is enough 'unclaimed' woods that I can still get away. 

The last two days my youngest has been home sick so I've had a lot of time to really do some research on the net.  Seems like I can just not find what I am looking for.  I have a sense of the direction that I want to go in, but seems the path is elusive.  After two days of nothing my frustration was really rising.  Then after talking to you and seeing some of the other post on the boards I thought ... well, maybe the frustration is trying to communicate something to me.  Maybe I am just suppose to stumble through this for now.  Find my own path through the woods instead of following someone else's.  I had the thought that maybe I'm just use to having things laid out for me to either agree with or disagree with.  Maybe what I need is to dig deeper and find out what works for me.  I have a strange feeling that one day the path will suddenly appear before me, but I guess in the meantime I've got to look under every rock and around every tree to find it.  Maybe that's the point.  *shrug* 

I am not totally sure yet how to go about all this.  I think I will just concentrate on the things/parts that interest me the most, like the natural magick.  I can always grab up a book, article, etc. to learn about other things I'm interested in that go with this.  I know I need to get back to my meditations and see where that leads me.  One thing that I enjoy the benefits of (though not always the process) is getting to know myself better and hopefully through the experience come out a better person on the other side.  If nothing else I can lock that in my radar and take off on my newest adventure!  lol

Thanks again for the input ... you gave me some thoughts to run around through my brain.  I feel better for it too. 

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take,
it is measured by the moments that take your breath away.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)