The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 30, 2022, 06:24:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 30, 2022, 06:24:48 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Green Witchcraft?  (Read 24263 times)
monsnoleedra
Journeyman
Last Login:July 24, 2011, 06:48:39 am
United States United States

Religion: Shamanic & Hedgewitch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: June 05, 2011, 08:20:49 pm »

What is Green / Hedge Witchcraft pt2?

Again let me preface this with the statement that all that follows is my own opinion and thoughts on this question.  As such they may not align with what others would perceive Green / Hedge Witchcraft to be.

One of the critical facets of the Green Witches practice is in knowing where the energy lines are located within or upon the place they most frequent.  These maybe ley lines in the traditional sense or other energy lines or vortexes that are encountered in the normal application of their daily lives.  Yet knowing they are there and discovering their location are two different things.

In discovering those spots in my practice I turn to the lay of the land, the type and location of plant life and in some instances the age-old art of dowsing.  Observing the lay of the land and the layout of plant life is probably the most significant means of discovering many of the energy lines.  For instance where I live one look's for the Sycamore tree’s to discover the water lines.  Sycamore grows where there is lots of water, frequently near rivers, lakes and ponds but also over underground water pathways.  Another good source of water lines and blue energy trails is Pussy Willows and Weeping Willows.

They lay of the land also frequently reveals the location of Air energy lines and Earth energy lines.  Many times one can watch the clouds or low fog and see the airlines and how they funnel around obstacles or the routes they normally take.  It’s like in the mountains one often finds that air flows certain ways with the storm systems and the way it moves between the valleys and mountain peaks.

Want to discover the Earth lines watch the birds as they migrate.  Many times I have discovered that the migratory paths match the magnetic flow lines and earth lines of the landscape.  Sometimes one can find junctures by watching the points that the birds land in mass then watch the discovery groups that go out and test the runs to see which goes what way.  Then when they take to the sky once again you’ll see them frequently circle the vortex boundaries produced by the energy lines they follow in migration.

At times one may also discover the earth lines by following the animal game trails as they cross the landscape.  The tracking of those lines is also a good way to discover the location of vortexes and land spirits of great age.  Like the birds at times you’ll discover that the game trails will suddenly make a circle for no reason, yet there is always a reason if one digs into it.  Sometimes they will circle the boundary of a vortex, an up or down link for a ley line where it rises above the ground or drops away to do deep.  Sometimes they will also trail into deep wood areas where the land feels different and you see many game trails come together and lots of animal sign and spore.  Those spots usually also indicate an old earth elemental or guardian spirit.  Just a warning though if you do find one of those spots be considerate for many of those old spirits do not take kindly to being disturbed or their wards being frightened.

The last part is the dowsing method.  One that to some is easily to manipulate and be successful with, for others more troublesome than anything they will touch.  Now the Dowser may use an Y shaped tree branch, the type may vary by location and personal preference.  I frequently use Willow or Sycamore though my grandfather preferred Oak.  Other items that maybe used are two equal length rods of copper tubing, two equal length sections of coat hanger I have used all three items with varying degrees of success.

Basic operation is one hold's the Y shaped branch by the tips of the Y and walks slow across the area to be dowsed.  Holding the tips loosely yet firmly you watch the end of the Y and when it begins to pull down you usually have discovered whatever energy your looking for.  With the Y shaped branch it is usually water it seems or what I call a blue line.  With the copper rods or coat hanger the application is similar though the two rods / wires are extended and when you have crossed the two rods / wires will move towards each other, frequently crossing and the wire may actually turn downward as well.  On some occasions you will see the reverse and the Y tip, the rods or the wires will bend upward to mark the location where a line rises above the ground.

So the Green Witch becomes one with the land as much as possible.  The water lines and the manner of its movement across the land the blood of the area.  Sometimes containing surface veins and deeper veins that are only revealed by the foliage of the landscape.  Airlines that are revealed in the shifting fogs and rainstorms but also in the main pathways that one see the avian community utilizing.  Earth lines that are marked by the migratory paths both upon the land and high in the sky overhead. 

While the Green Witch learns the outward signs and presence of the landscape they also watch for the limnal spots to be found.  Those places where two or more elements meet or spots where water rises from the depths of the ground, the cavern that marks the boundary of celestial and chthonic boundaries.  That spot where the landscape is aligned in such a way that it funnels three elements together in a V shape and produces wild energy in the mixing.  But that is for another writing at a later time to be provided.

Granted much easier to do in the wild areas or rural areas more so than in the cities but not impossible.  The land a bit harder to read but those that live there can find the means of reading the landscape if they try.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Kautilya
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 09, 2011, 03:12:23 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Discordian

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: June 06, 2011, 02:59:20 pm »

It involves making sure all your rituals and tools are carbon neutral and biodegradeable.

Valour produces peace; peace, repose; repose, disorder; disorder, ruin; so from disorder order springs; from order virtue, and from this, glory and good fortune.
- Machiavelli, A History of Florence
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #32: June 06, 2011, 03:02:08 pm »

It involves making sure all your rituals and tools are carbon neutral and biodegradeable.

Is it possible to own a set of tools that are completely carbon neutral? Even if one makes a wand from a windfallen bramch... there's the car or hiking shoes you needed to get to the spot, the power for any tools needed to sand the wood or burn runes and such into it, any other materials used, and any unnatural lighting needed when working on it. I think it's great to be green and do better about choosing our resources wisely, but leaving no impact on the world is impossible.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Kautilya
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #33: June 06, 2011, 03:05:28 pm »

Is it possible to own a set of tools that are completely carbon neutral? Even if one makes a wand from a windfallen bramch... there's the car or hiking shoes you needed to get to the spot, the power for any tools needed to sand the wood or burn runes and such into it, any other materials used, and any unnatural lighting needed when working on it. I think it's great to be green and do better about choosing our resources wisely, but leaving no impact on the world is impossible.

That is why you should never trust a Green Witch.  They're clearly logically impossible.

Valour produces peace; peace, repose; repose, disorder; disorder, ruin; so from disorder order springs; from order virtue, and from this, glory and good fortune.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #34: June 06, 2011, 03:07:15 pm »

That is why you should never trust a Green Witch.  They're clearly logically impossible.

Only by your definition.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #35: June 06, 2011, 03:07:30 pm »

I don't think that all green witches try to make their work carbon neutral, 100%. And I'm very interested in green witchcraft, and I think I'm pretty logical and trustworth. Wink It seems to me a path like green witchcraft will lend itself to being more environmentally conscious, but that's a personal choice, not one inherent in the practice (which doesn't even have a set belief or morality system, anyway).

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Hella Jeff
Apprentice
Last Login:July 28, 2011, 01:18:56 am

Religion: Stoicism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: June 06, 2011, 03:18:20 pm »

I don't think that all green witches try to make their work carbon neutral, 100%. And I'm very interested in green witchcraft, and I think I'm pretty logical and trustworth. Wink It seems to me a path like green witchcraft will lend itself to being more environmentally conscious, but that's a personal choice, not one inherent in the practice (which doesn't even have a set belief or morality system, anyway).

"Environmental conscienceness" is masturbation(Worse even, atleast with masturbation you can charge sigils).
Congratulations! By surviving only on soy and unicorn farts you now have now carbon footprint! Hey, guess what that amounts to in the grand scheme of things? NOTHING. You havent helped the environment youve just boosted your own ego a bit.

Magic shouldnt be about Ego, it should be about destroying ego.

Not to mention this whole "green wizardry" thing reminds me all to much of the hippie idea of being at "one" with nature. NEWSFLASH: We are nature! Nature is never at balance,  remember the Dinosaurs? I dont think any amount of hybrid vehicles and biodegradable coffee cups would have saved their sorry asses. Nature is chaos, always changing and in violent ways.

None of this means that the environmental crisis isnt real and doesnt need to be dealt with. Its just that in my experience the best way to solve a crisis is to promptly remove your head from your ass, not jam it further in.

/rant

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Kautilya
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #37: June 06, 2011, 03:18:38 pm »

Only by your definition.

I don't recall asserting otherwise.  Your point?

Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #38: June 06, 2011, 03:23:57 pm »

"Environmental conscienceness" is masturbation(Worse even, atleast with masturbation you can charge sigils).

To you, maybe. To other people it has meaning.

Magic shouldnt be about Ego, it should be about destroying ego.

Not my magic, and not the magic a lot of people practice. Because there's more than one kind, in case you didn't know.

Not to mention this whole "green wizardry" thing reminds me all to much of the hippie idea of being at "one" with nature. NEWSFLASH: We are nature! Nature is never at balance,  remember the Dinosaurs? I dont think any amount of hybrid vehicles and biodegradable coffee cups would have saved their sorry asses. Nature is chaos, always changing and in violent ways.

Wow, you're totally missing the point. First off, it's not green "wizardry". Second, no one said nature isn't chaotic. Third, humans are doing harmful things to the environment and we should probably stop that. I can't change the course of my species, but I can change the course of my own life. Just because I try to be aware of what I do and the consequences they have doesn't mean I think I'm a Green Superman who has all the answers.

None of this means that the environmental crisis isnt real and doesnt need to be dealt with. Its just that in my experience the best way to solve a crisis is to promptly remove your head from your ass, not jam it further in.

/rant

At what point was anyone experiencing anal-cranial activity? It sounds like you had a violent kneejerk reaction and decided to word vomit instead of making any actual points.

Tiki
Journeyman
Last Login:June 02, 2013, 12:05:10 pm

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #39: June 06, 2011, 03:43:05 pm »

Congratulations! By surviving only on soy and unicorn farts you now have now carbon footprint! Hey, guess what that amounts to in the grand scheme of things? NOTHING. You havent helped the environment youve just boosted your own ego a bit.

At some point, one has to consider the ramifications on our own habitat, let we eat and shit ourselves out of a habitable place to live.  Smiley
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #40: June 06, 2011, 05:22:10 pm »

At some point, one has to consider the ramifications on our own habitat, let we eat and shit ourselves out of a habitable place to live.  Smiley

Exactly. I view environmental awareness as a responsibility I have to myself, my fellow human beings, and this planet. I can't imagine things will get much easier in my lifetime, but at least I do my best not to help make them harder.

Nitz
Master Member
Last Login:March 01, 2012, 08:03:19 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Animist Warlock

Aaarf

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #41: June 06, 2011, 06:16:18 pm »

Exactly. I view environmental awareness as a responsibility I have to myself, my fellow human beings, and this planet. I can't imagine things will get much easier in my lifetime, but at least I do my best not to help make them harder.

I agree with that, it doesn't hurt any to throw your cans in the recycling bin, compost your waste, or turn off the light when you leave the room.

Also Green Witchcraft makes me think about The Wicked Witch from The Wizard of Oz for some reason.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. ~ Arthur C. Clarke
dmd42007
Last Login:February 02, 2012, 10:13:28 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #42: June 08, 2011, 02:55:17 am »

This topic has been pretty interesting to me, seeing as Green Witchcraft is a newer interest of mind that I found through Ann Moura's books. However, by reading this thread I'm starting to wonder if it is the right path for me at all because *in my opinion* some of the posters have made is sound like either a poorly credited eclectic Wiccan tradition or a tradition that is based more on Garden witchery than actually being its own independent form of Paganism. I guess I'm now a little confused on what Green Witchcraft is and what it isn't, and a little worried about the integrity of the path and Ann Moura.  Embarrassed
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #43: June 08, 2011, 02:57:38 am »

This topic has been pretty interesting to me, seeing as Green Witchcraft is a newer interest of mind that I found through Ann Moura's books. However, by reading this thread I'm starting to wonder if it is the right path for me at all because *in my opinion* some of the posters have made is sound like either a poorly credited eclectic Wiccan tradition or a tradition that is based more on Garden witchery than actually being its own independent form of Paganism. I guess I'm now a little confused on what Green Witchcraft is and what it isn't, and a little worried about the integrity of the path and Ann Moura.  Embarrassed

Remember that Ann Moura is only one author with only one viewpoint. And that all the people posting here are just posting their viewpoints. Remember that witchcraft also doesn't equal Wicca. Though I do practice with a Wiccan coven, I wasn't planning on approaching green (or any other type) or witchcraft from a (solely, anyway) Wiccan perspective.

What did Moura say in her books, and what attracted you most to the path?

dmd42007
Last Login:February 02, 2012, 10:13:28 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #44: June 08, 2011, 03:17:04 am »

Well, I have been considering myself an Eclectic Pagan since my beliefs draw from many different sources and no one specific tradition. When I read some of Moura's books, specifically "Grimoire for the Green Witch", my beliefs seemed to be very close to those presented in the book. I also liked how it seemed to be a structured tradition without putting too much restriction on the practitioner. For example, the reconstructed traditions, from what I've see, are all about reconstructing the beliefs and practices of one specific Pantheon; and I tend to lean against this belief as I view all Goddesses and Gods as facets of one Goddess and God who are in turn the two halves of One Spirit. With all of that being said, looking at it from this perspective, perhaps the reason why I was attracted to Moura's tradition was because it has so many eclectic themes and I am still undecided on what tradition of Paganism I want to practice. I admit, researching different traditions is something new for me. I guess my goal with this search is just to find more structure in my path? I'm kind of embarrassed that I've been Pagan for two years and I don't have a specific path.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)