The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 11, 2022, 03:50:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 11, 2022, 03:50:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Green Witchcraft?  (Read 23806 times)
Nitz
Master Member
Last Login:March 01, 2012, 08:03:19 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Animist Warlock

Aaarf

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #45: June 08, 2011, 03:22:36 am »

Well, I have been considering myself an Eclectic Pagan since my beliefs draw from many different sources and no one specific tradition. When I read some of Moura's books, specifically "Grimoire for the Green Witch", my beliefs seemed to be very close to those presented in the book. I also liked how it seemed to be a structured tradition without putting too much restriction on the practitioner. For example, the reconstructed traditions, from what I've see, are all about reconstructing the beliefs and practices of one specific Pantheon; and I tend to lean against this belief as I view all Goddesses and Gods as facets of one Goddess and God who are in turn the two halves of One Spirit. With all of that being said, looking at it from this perspective, perhaps the reason why I was attracted to Moura's tradition was because it has so many eclectic themes and I am still undecided on what tradition of Paganism I want to practice. I admit, researching different traditions is something new for me. I guess my goal with this search is just to find more structure in my path? I'm kind of embarrassed that I've been Pagan for two years and I don't have a specific path.

I think it'd be a good thing to develop your own path and then see if anything fits it, at least that's my opinion and what I'm sorta doing now.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. ~ Arthur C. Clarke

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm
United States United States

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #46: June 08, 2011, 07:57:09 am »

I've been Pagan over four years and I'm still crafting my path. Smiley Right now I've settled on things that I practice and labels I apply to myself - I'm a Neo-Druid working within ADF's framework, incorporating bits of eclectic Wicca that strike my fancy, delving into witchcraft (separate from Wicca, for the most part) while honoring Brighid (and Manannán now, too) as my primary deity - but no one single path is the totality of who I am. Everything is being melded together into something unique and fitting to who I am and what I need. I've also been through many changes in my religious career, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's all part of the exploration process. It takes awhile to get to know who you are. Grin

As far as Ann Moura goes, I looked at the Amazon page for her book and found this tidbit:

You will also learn the basic tenets of Witchcraft as focused in the Witches' Rede, the Charge of the Goddess, the Law of Return, and more. This book also teaches you how to do magical rituals and celebratory rites. Included are complete versions of rites for the major Wiccan holidays such as Imbolc and Ostara. Other rites – which include how to do the ritual and what to say – are rituals for the Full Moon, Paganing, Handfasting, and more.

It sounds like Moura was presenting her form of Wicca as witchcraft. You'll notice that I keep separating the two. Wicca is a religion that sometimes uses magic. There are certain pieces of theology and liturgy that make something Wiccan, like honoring a Lord and a Lady, casting circles, working with the four directions/elements, the Law of Return, etc.

Witchcraft, on the other hand, is a craft, a practice, and it really isn't structured. People have made structured witchcraft religions, it's true, but I don't think Moura owns the idea of "green witchcraft." (People who know more than me - did Moura come up with the term? Even if she did, I think it's gone beyond her book, now.) Her book is presenting what looks like a form of Wicca with certain focus points, but it is not the only way to do things. If you like it, though, there's no reason not to try it out and see how it fits.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #47: June 08, 2011, 09:03:25 am »

dmd42007:

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion easier to follow, and it's required by our rules.

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!

HeartShadow - Cauldron Staff

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #48: June 08, 2011, 09:22:38 am »

Upon further reading of the Amazon page I found this tidbit:

For example, did you know that the ancient roots of Wicca can be traced all the way back to ancient India? You can find this amazing history in Green Witchcraft (the author majored in history and used to be a history instructor).

This is sending up major red flags for me concerning Moura's book. That's incorrect history, right there.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #49: June 08, 2011, 10:42:33 am »

This is sending up major red flags for me concerning Moura's book. That's incorrect history, right there.

This "alternate version" of  history is the focus of her book "Origins of Modern Witchcraft" where it is served up as fact -- and with a good-sized helping of attacks on most religions not her own. Sad

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #50: June 08, 2011, 11:18:30 am »

This "alternate version" of  history is the focus of her book "Origins of Modern Witchcraft" where it is served up as fact -- and with a good-sized helping of attacks on most religions not her own. Sad

I'm going to guess it's of a slightly different caliber than Triumph of the Moon.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #51: June 08, 2011, 05:16:05 pm »

I'm going to guess it's of a slightly different caliber than Triumph of the Moon.

It uses the same technique Holy Blood, Holy Grail does. Something is discussed as possible in one chapter then all later chapters assume that it is not just possible but true.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 27, 2022, 03:01:18 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #52: June 08, 2011, 06:09:46 pm »

(People who know more than me - did Moura come up with the term? Even if she did, I think it's gone beyond her book, now.)
I was hearing it from time to time from people as a personal descriptor of their paths long before I ever heard of her - and seeing it in fictional works (f'ex, Andre Norton's "Witch World" series of books) long before that.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Nitz
Master Member
Last Login:March 01, 2012, 08:03:19 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Animist Warlock

Aaarf

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #53: June 08, 2011, 06:24:03 pm »

It uses the same technique Holy Blood, Holy Grail does. Something is discussed as possible in one chapter then all later chapters assume that it is not just possible but true.

I have that book, it's definitely not one of my favourite books about religion.

My uncle gave it to me when I was becoming interested in Christianity a while back, figured it would snap me out of it, but it was such a piece of tripe that it didn't work at all.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. ~ Arthur C. Clarke

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)