The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 26, 2020, 09:28:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2020, 09:28:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Merkel says German multi-cultural society has failed  (Read 7162 times)
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm
United States United States

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: October 17, 2010, 09:42:14 pm »

Merkel says German multi-cultural society has failed

BERLIN (AFP) – Germany's attempt to create a multi-cultural society has failed completely, Chancellor Angela Merkel said at the weekend, calling on the country's immigrants to learn German and adopt Christian values.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20101017/wl_afp/germanymuslimreligionimmigration

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: October 17, 2010, 10:14:45 pm »

Merkel says German multi-cultural society has failed

From the article:

"We feel tied to Christian values. Those who don't accept them don't have a place here," said the chancellor.

Err, like the Jews in the 1930s and 1940s? Perhaps it is wrong of me, but whenever I hear a German leader say some religion doesn't have a place in Germany and there is a popular book espousing the view that 'the country was being made "more stupid" by poorly educated and unproductive Muslim migrants with headscarves" I get flashbacks to the rise of the Nazi Party to power in the late 1920s/early 1930s.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #2: October 18, 2010, 04:25:25 am »

Please, we are not Nazi-Deutschland.
Just because they are stupid people around with the wrong kind of attitude.
They are not the majority.

Merkel should really have said, the German constitution is the thing to be accepted if someone wants to live here.
But I guess she thought she ought to say Christian, because she is part of the Christan Democratic Party, whatever.
(I am not a fan of her anyway, she is a turncoat.)

Fact is, to live just happily together does not work out.
Because prejudices exist on both sides.
Learning the language (which most part of the article is about) seems like a good start to me.

What solutions can be found to the other problems, I dont know. But I dont think the problems are much different from the ones any other country with immigration has got. Neither are the voices of the stupid people. So I really dont think the Nazi reference is necessary.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Chabas
Reserve Staff
Staff
Master Member
Last Login:August 15, 2014, 02:06:27 pm
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (1)

« Reply #3: October 18, 2010, 06:06:00 am »

What solutions can be found to the other problems, I dont know. But I dont think the problems are much different from the ones any other country with immigration has got. Neither are the voices of the stupid people.

For the record: I know that the general consensus here (that is, in the Netherlands) is that Germany's stepping into the same discussion we've been having for the last 8 years. And it is a complicated discussion, because it does tread on historically sensitive ground. I do think Merkel is blundering into it. But then, having lived in Germany, I've found there's a tendency there to avoid these discussions BECAUSE there is this fear of (being accused of) falling back into nazism, which means Germany, as a country, has no mode for discussing these things.

It's an enormously bad idea to frame this as "us good Christians versus them Muslims" for a great number of reasons. The whole discussion *is* a minefield, especially for Germany with its history, but here in the Netherlands as well. It *does* get abused by people for a variety of reasons and occasionally turns into something that makes me very nervous - Wilders scares me in a lot of ways. But none of the above change the fact that this is a discussion that we need to be having, because even if the problem is a purely prejudicial one - which is a gross oversimplification at best - we need to talk about things in order to do something about them.

--Chabas
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #4: October 18, 2010, 06:12:26 am »

*nods*
That is exactly it.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: October 18, 2010, 08:10:05 am »

Please, we are not Nazi-Deutschland.
Just because they are stupid people around with the wrong kind of attitude.
They are not the majority.

They weren't the majority in the 1930s either. The Nazis were a minority, but one that managed to take power anyway.

Merkel should really have said, the German constitution is the thing to be accepted if someone wants to live here. But I guess she thought she ought to say Christian, because she is part of the Christan Democratic Party, whatever.

That would have been far less upsetting than the "only Christians welcome here" comment she made.  And you'll note she said "we feel tied to Christian values" not "Judeo-Christian" values which is what first sounded the alarm bells in my head -- Jews apparently aren't welcome in her Germany either. 

Of course, this ignores the fact that the values instilled by all three JCI religions are very similar for the most part. Your average non-extremist versions of Christianity, Judaism and Islam teach very similar values in their holy books, probably 80% overlap. Most of the cultural difference between people in Western countries and Muslim immigrants from the Near East have little to do with religion and a lot to do with fact the non-religious culture of the areas these immigrants are coming from is very different from European-based Western culture. Blaming it on religion is counterproductive, IMHO, unless one is trying to stir up religious hatreds.

Learning the language (which most part of the article is about) seems like a good start to me.

Agreed, but the "speak it without an accent" bit makes even this common sense "learn the language of the people you live with" statement sound like an extremist position.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: October 18, 2010, 08:30:22 am »

Agreed, but the "speak it without an accent" bit makes even this common sense "learn the language of the people you live with" statement sound like an extremist position.

I had a really pissy comeback for that one. I believe her English is accented, IIRC. That and the "Christian values" comment set off every alarm bell I have.

Coupled with that study I told you about yesterday about a good percentage of the German people wanting a very strong leader, and, well, what Merkel said bugs the ever living hell out of me.

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: October 18, 2010, 08:34:32 am »

Make that 13% of people polled.

Survey findings on far-right views give Germany its latest Führer furore

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2010/1015/1224281154659.html

Inca
Master Member
Last Login:December 31, 2011, 11:49:06 am
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: October 18, 2010, 10:32:44 am »

What solutions can be found to the other problems, I dont know. But I dont think the problems are much different from the ones any other country with immigration has got. Neither are the voices of the stupid people. So I really dont think the Nazi reference is necessary.

I'm not sure if I agree with that. Because I do think that an open debate in these matters do need an open debate on how to avoid the events of the 1930's. I agree it has nothing to do with Germany per se - I am thinking more of the events in my own country (The Netherlands). But I do feel that the singlefocussed antipathy towards other religions or cultures and pointing a finger deliberately at one group is setting us up for a situation we really wanted to avoid.

If we want to address the issues I think it involves both thinking of where you want to go and how to get there, and of thinking about which things you really need to watch out for. The reference to WO II is important, not to invalidate the discussion and shout "oh, see, you're all nazis" but to spot the parallels so we can choose a different path this time and try to solve the issues in a different way.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: October 18, 2010, 01:21:48 pm »

The reference to WO II is important, not to invalidate the discussion and shout "oh, see, you're all nazis" but to spot the parallels so we can choose a different path this time and try to solve the issues in a different way.

Bingo. There are a lot of parallels between the economic and cultural issues that are happening today and those that happened in the 20s and 30s. And it's not just in Germany or other parts of Europe. The US is beating the anti-immigrant drum, too.

Learning from past mistakes and history are imperative if you want to choose a different road.

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #10: October 18, 2010, 04:00:30 pm »

I believe her English is accented, IIRC.

But her German probably isn't.  I kind of wonder how she'd react to the idea of taking lessons to remover her accent if she ever wanted to emigrate to England, though.  I've found that people who are reasonably fluent in other languages often don't hear their own accent, and react badly to the idea that they even have one.

Absent 

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: October 18, 2010, 05:37:16 pm »

But her German probably isn't.  I kind of wonder how she'd react to the idea of taking lessons to remover her accent if she ever wanted to emigrate to England, though.  I've found that people who are reasonably fluent in other languages often don't hear their own accent, and react badly to the idea that they even have one.

Absent 

Exactly. There just aren't that many people around who, while very fluent in other languages, are fluent without an accent...and if they are, I'd wonder what government agency they were working for. Smiley

Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: October 18, 2010, 06:18:01 pm »

That would have been far less upsetting than the "only Christians welcome here" comment she made.  And you'll note she said "we feel tied to Christian values" not "Judeo-Christian" values which is what first sounded the alarm bells in my head -- Jews apparently aren't welcome in her Germany either. 

I'd note that a lot of Jews I know consider "Judeo-Christian values" to be basically "Christian values but we know we need to acknowledge that Judaism exists because Hitler".  Apparently, from their perspective what gets put forth as "Judeo-Christian values" is often contrary to their practice of Judaism.

I've tried to remember to remove the word from my personal vocab as a result, and when I need to refer to the collective Abrahamic monotheisms I do so with "Abrahamic monotheisms".

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: October 18, 2010, 06:56:37 pm »

I'd note that a lot of Jews I know consider "Judeo-Christian values" to be basically "Christian values but we know we need to acknowledge that Judaism exists because Hitler".  Apparently, from their perspective what gets put forth as "Judeo-Christian values" is often contrary to their practice of Judaism.

Yeah. I was thinking about that while I was painting this afternoon.

Merkel most likely just told it like it was w/r/t the values bit. I've often thought that it was BS for the most part when people here in the States refer to it (unless maybe it's Judeo in the sense that there are some pretty offensive laws that are handy to trot out when the RR is in the process of hating on someone).

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: October 18, 2010, 09:44:58 pm »

I've tried to remember to remove the word from my personal vocab as a result, and when I need to refer to the collective Abrahamic monotheisms I do so with "Abrahamic monotheisms".

You can use that if you consider Muslims to be "other."  And I expect German leaders to say "Judeo-Christian" because of Hitler -- saying "Jewish or Christian values" might be better (if one has to leave out Muslims) but that's probably asking a bit much of political speech writers.

Randall

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)