The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 03, 2020, 03:24:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 03, 2020, 03:24:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Facebook and Privacy  (Read 3233 times)
Owl
Adept Member
Last Login:March 07, 2012, 02:46:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Hedgewitch?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: October 18, 2010, 03:51:04 pm »

And people wonder why I won't put anything private on the internet....

http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/10/18/5310412-just-how-bad-is-facebook-app-privacy-problem-

AntlerandHerb.com

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: October 18, 2010, 04:53:44 pm »

http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/10/18/5310412-just-how-bad-is-facebook-app-privacy-problem-

This sharing user ids with third party advertisers is worse than usual privacy problems as it allows advertisers to tie their records of people's online activities (which normally can't be easily tied to a particular person online) with a particular person offline, allowing them to merge their supposedly anonymous tracking of online data with all the offline data of the person being tracked.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Owl
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: October 18, 2010, 05:46:07 pm »

This sharing user ids with third party advertisers is worse than usual privacy problems as it allows advertisers to tie their records of people's online activities (which normally can't be easily tied to a particular person online) with a particular person offline, allowing them to merge their supposedly anonymous tracking of online data with all the offline data of the person being tracked.

Oh, absolutely!  The more I hear though, the less I assume that ANYTHING on the internet can be kept secret.

AntlerandHerb.com
Spectacular Views
Journeyman
Last Login:June 10, 2013, 02:21:49 am

Religion: Can being confused count as a religion?
TCN ID: SpectacularViews

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: November 07, 2010, 01:18:10 am »

It really bothers me that there seems to be less and less respect for privacy these days.  I thought I was being safe with my privacy settings and not having much info up on my profile but apparently not.  I'm seriously considering getting rid of my Facebook profile.
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: November 07, 2010, 05:54:11 am »

It really bothers me that there seems to be less and less respect for privacy these days.  I thought I was being safe with my privacy settings and not having much info up on my profile but apparently not.  I'm seriously considering getting rid of my Facebook profile.

Really! I instinctively chose not to play all those apps, but the idea that my info could be shared ANYWAY is scary.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
Owl
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: November 08, 2010, 10:03:04 pm »

Exactly!

AntlerandHerb.com
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: November 13, 2010, 08:57:49 am »

Don't worry, there are might going to be new Federal laws that Randall and Lyric will have to comply with to protect our privacy.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703848204575608970171176014.html?mod=WSJ_hp_mostpop_read

Or you could look at it this way. It might shut down small forums due to compliance costs leaving only big companies like Facebook or Wizard's of hte Coast to run forums on topics they like.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: November 13, 2010, 12:05:33 pm »

Don't worry, there are might going to be new Federal laws that Randall and Lyric will have to comply with to protect our privacy.

They are a long ways off and are unlikely to affect forums not ran by businesses much as if they did they would be challenged by the ACLU and others on First Amendment grounds. However, this may be another reason to consider switching to commercial forum software like Vbulletin. It is far more likely to be updated quickly to comply with new laws.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)