The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 29, 2021, 04:42:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2021, 04:42:59 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: NPR's Juan William Fired after comments made on Fox News  (Read 9083 times)
veggiewolf
Adept Member
Last Login:November 14, 2014, 01:04:25 pm
United States United States

Religion: Hoer of Onions / FlameKeeper
TCN ID: veggiewolf

Stop it, or I'll bury you alive in a box.

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Topic Start: October 22, 2010, 09:41:23 am »

NPR has terminated its contract with Senior News Analyst Juan Williams. The decision was made in the aftermath of Muslim remarks made by Williams on The O'Reilly Factor that NPR says are inconsistent with its editorial standards and practices.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130732174

In light of this, is NPR deserving of the criticism it is now receiving?

Ask me about FlameKeeping!

"I can't take HIS money; I can't print MY OWN money.  Why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson
"My dream has been shattered into shards of a broken dream!" - Homer Simpson

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: October 22, 2010, 09:47:24 am »

Actually, I don't have a real problem with this. I know NPR has had some issues in the past with some of the comments that he made on Fox. My perspective is that as a news analyst for NPR, he was trying to wear two hats (pretty unsuccessfully from some of what I've seen in the past), and expecting listeners to totally ignore what he said on Fox just wasn't going to happen.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: October 22, 2010, 10:16:34 am »

Actually, I don't have a real problem with this. I know NPR has had some issues in the past with some of the comments that he made on Fox. My perspective is that as a news analyst for NPR, he was trying to wear two hats (pretty unsuccessfully from some of what I've seen in the past), and expecting listeners to totally ignore what he said on Fox just wasn't going to happen.

The question is, is NPR justified in expecting it's employees to have second jobs that do not affect their first, and this isn't just a parochial school teacher having a second job behind the counter of the local XXX video shop, this is a very visible spokesperson for the parochial school espousing one set of views having a second job as a just as visible person on the billboards for the highly advertised XXX shop.  I don't have a big problem with it either.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: October 22, 2010, 04:38:28 pm »

As I understand it, he had been warned about this before, then moved from a "host" position to a "news analyst" position, etc. So it is not like he did not know there were problems. I read he was fired by phone. If true, that part is tacky.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Osprey
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 07, 2011, 03:17:13 pm

Religion: becoming heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: October 23, 2010, 08:02:13 pm »

I'll be honest, this move by NPR smacks of censorship to me. Williams spoke some uncomfortable truths and was open about the situation. From what I'm seeing, he did not say he agreed with O'Reiley that Muslims should be blamed. He said the connection to radical Islam could not be denied and he experienced a normal fear reaction to open Muslims in airports following 9/11. A fear that most people are too cowardly to admit to having had themselves.

So why exactly was he fired? So NPR could cover their a**es when the rights groups with hurt feelings came knocking. Ridiculous. Why shouldn't people talk about these things? This is why intelligent discourse is gone from the media. Whenever someone makes an attempt at it on either side, they get the sack.
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #5: October 23, 2010, 09:12:22 pm »

So why exactly was he fired? So NPR could cover their a**es when the rights groups with hurt feelings came knocking.

He was fired because he repeatedly violated his contract with NPR and they finally decided enough was enough.  It wasn't that Williams was speaking about Muslims or any other group in particular.  It was that he repeatedly stated his political opinion publicly.  Reporters at NPR are not permitted to publicly make political remarks.  They are not allowed to attend political rallies (unless providing coverage); they aren't allowed to donate money to politicians of either party; they aren't allowed to publicly endorse a political cause of any sort.  They are supposed to remain as neutral and objective as possible.  This is a common restriction for reporters of reputable news organizations.  The New York Times and the Washington Post have similar restrictions.  Williams knew these rules.  He had been warned repeatedly about these behaviors.  He had already been demoted because of these behaviors.  If he wanted to express his own personal political opinions, then NPR was not the home for him. 

Sperran
mandrina
High Adept Member

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: October 24, 2010, 08:22:03 am »

He was fired because he repeatedly violated his contract with NPR and they finally decided enough was enough.  It wasn't that Williams was speaking about Muslims or any other group in particular.  It was that he repeatedly stated his political opinion publicly.  Reporters at NPR are not permitted to publicly make political remarks.  They are not allowed to attend political rallies (unless providing coverage); they aren't allowed to donate money to politicians of either party; they aren't allowed to publicly endorse a political cause of any sort.  They are supposed to remain as neutral and objective as possible.  This is a common restriction for reporters of reputable news organizations.  The New York Times and the Washington Post have similar restrictions.  Williams knew these rules.  He had been warned repeatedly about these behaviors.  He had already been demoted because of these behaviors.  If he wanted to express his own personal political opinions, then NPR was not the home for him. 

Sperran

I didn't realise this, but it makes sense.  It might have been tacky to do it over the phone, but on the other hand, when they called him to come in to give him the news, he probably knew it was coming.

Are there jobs at NPR where people are allowed to publicly state their political views?

Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #7: October 24, 2010, 09:43:48 am »

Are there jobs at NPR where people are allowed to publicly state their political views?

I don't know if there are restrictions on anyone but the news people.

Sperran
veggiewolf
Adept Member
Last Login:November 14, 2014, 01:04:25 pm

Religion: Hoer of Onions / FlameKeeper
TCN ID: veggiewolf

Stop it, or I'll bury you alive in a box.

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Reply #8: October 24, 2010, 06:53:56 pm »

I didn't realise this, but it makes sense.  It might have been tacky to do it over the phone, but on the other hand, when they called him to come in to give him the news, he probably knew it was coming.

Yes.  Political commentators can publicly state their views, but NPR reporters are expected to be unbiased in public...or at least not to let their biases affect the way they report the news.

I don't believe that "actual journalists" should be holding jobs as political commentators while also holding jobs as journalists.  It becomes too difficult for the public to accept stories reported by those journalists as unbiased.

Ask me about FlameKeeping!

"I can't take HIS money; I can't print MY OWN money.  Why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson
"My dream has been shattered into shards of a broken dream!" - Homer Simpson
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: November 05, 2010, 03:46:03 pm »

Yes.  Political commentators can publicly state their views, but NPR reporters are expected to be unbiased in public...or at least not to let their biases affect the way they report the news.

I don't believe that "actual journalists" should be holding jobs as political commentators while also holding jobs as journalists.  It becomes too difficult for the public to accept stories reported by those journalists as unbiased.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/keith-olbermann-suspended-from-msnbc-indefinitely/

OK, not a commentatory, just a max donor.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: November 05, 2010, 03:49:31 pm »

"NBC has rules regarding employees donating to political campaigns, discouraging it and impressing that it’s a “a breach of journalistic independence to contribute to the candidates they cover.” Here’s a key part of that policy: “You should report any such potential conflicts in advance to, and obtain prior approval of, the President of NBC News or his designee.”"

Yep. If you don't like this agreement, you are free to find work elsewhere.

I have no problem with this.

mandrina
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: November 05, 2010, 04:22:36 pm »

"NBC has rules regarding employees donating to political campaigns, discouraging it and impressing that it’s a “a breach of journalistic independence to contribute to the candidates they cover.” Here’s a key part of that policy: “You should report any such potential conflicts in advance to, and obtain prior approval of, the President of NBC News or his designee.”"

Yep. If you don't like this agreement, you are free to find work elsewhere.

I have no problem with this.

he knew the rules.

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: November 05, 2010, 04:26:26 pm »

he knew the rules.

One thing I'm seeing, and I have only seen it on one blog post, so I'm not going to cite it, but apparently Joe Scarborough has made GOP contributions and NBC knew it and defended it.

That shouldn't be. If you've got these agreements in place, then they need to apply to all your people who fall into the same job category.

mandrina
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: November 05, 2010, 04:34:18 pm »

One thing I'm seeing, and I have only seen it on one blog post, so I'm not going to cite it, but apparently Joe Scarborough has made GOP contributions and NBC knew it and defended it.

That shouldn't be. If you've got these agreements in place, then they need to apply to all your people who fall into the same job category.

agreed.

Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: November 05, 2010, 07:56:17 pm »

ditto this. I saw reference to this as well, but damned if I can find it back--and I've not seen it again, so I don't feel justified to dig up that one reference. Need backup!

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.