The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 24, 2021, 06:41:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2021, 06:41:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: NPR's Juan William Fired after comments made on Fox News  (Read 8719 times)
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm
United States United States

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: November 07, 2010, 09:20:29 am »

This part of the article ...

I really think that comments like this could lead to education.  There IS a fear among most Americans that a Muslim might be associated with a radical group.  Even if he was fired for violating his contract, why can't FOX run a program or something educational on the way the majority of Muslims believe?  And I know it's been done before, over and over.  But I don't think it's enough until the message gets through.

Because "Fair & Balanced" might go beyond 51% of Muslims believe this and mention what 49% believe? Or 80/20 or some number other than 99.9 / 0,1? 

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #31: November 07, 2010, 03:57:36 pm »

Sorry for the confusion ... I responded to the first link provided in the thread.  I replied using your post because it was the last one on the thread. 

This is not a good thing to do.  The point of the quote rule is not to put a quote, any quote into your response.  It is to put the right quote there to aid in following the conversation.  Since the linkback you used led to Peter's post it caused a confusion as to what you were actually talking about.  If there had been a problem with your post it would have been difficult for staff to track it back to see where the difficulty started.

It might seem a simple way to deal with something that doesn't mean much to you, but it violates the spirit and the letter of an important board rule.  It might only be noticed when it causes a problem or a confusion like this one, and might just be done for the sake of speed or laziness rather than any desire to actively break the rules, but  it is still a violation. 

Please be more careful in the future.  This is an explanation, not a warning, but I will probably be looking at even non-problem posts more carefully now.

Marilyn
Staff

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #32: November 07, 2010, 10:32:15 pm »

Well. That didn't take long.

NBC: Olbermann suspension ending Tuesday

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40062578/ns/politics-decision_2010/

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #33: November 08, 2010, 08:00:02 am »

Well. That didn't take long.

NBC: Olbermann suspension ending Tuesday

This really smells. I don't think they would bow to pressure from Olbermann fans this quickly unless there is some truth to the stories that this was selective enforcement. This extremely short suspension looks to me like "let's end this in the hope that the urge to investigate what we've done with others will go away with the end of the two show suspension."

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #34: November 08, 2010, 08:45:40 am »

This really smells. I don't think they would bow to pressure from Olbermann fans this quickly unless there is some truth to the stories that this was selective enforcement. This extremely short suspension looks to me like "let's end this in the hope that the urge to investigate what we've done with others will go away with the end of the two show suspension."

Yeah. That's how it's been feeling to me since yesterday.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Zoe Moonchild
Master Member
Last Login:July 22, 2011, 06:29:35 am

Religion: Celtic Pagan
TCN ID: Zoe Moonchild

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #35: November 08, 2010, 03:05:07 pm »

Because "Fair & Balanced" might go beyond 51% of Muslims believe this and mention what 49% believe? Or 80/20 or some number other than 99.9 / 0,1? 

Then maybe he had a point?  Fair and Balanced means showing both sides.  Although I grant you it should be done under the heading of 'editorial' and not 'unbiased news'.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take,
it is measured by the moments that take your breath away.
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: November 08, 2010, 03:25:43 pm »

question.  Is there a good  and unbiased place to compare the positive depictions of muslims vs the negative depictions of muslims on fox, or on other channels in general?  I was looking at AIM and mediamatters.org, and both seem to be quite biased in different ways.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #37: November 08, 2010, 04:53:36 pm »

question.  Is there a good  and unbiased place to compare the positive depictions of muslims vs the negative depictions of muslims on fox, or on other channels in general?  I was looking at AIM and mediamatters.org, and both seem to be quite biased in different ways.

Are you looking for depictions of Muslims by non-Muslims, or for what Muslims believe about various things?

Those are two very different questions.

sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #38: November 08, 2010, 04:55:16 pm »

Then maybe he had a point?  Fair and Balanced means showing both sides.  Although I grant you it should be done under the heading of 'editorial' and not 'unbiased news'.

Depends upon how it's presented.
mandrina
High Adept Member

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #39: November 08, 2010, 05:19:18 pm »

Are you looking for depictions of Muslims by non-Muslims, or for what Muslims believe about various things?

Those are two very different questions.

both, really, but what I'm really looking for is the centered source (or sources) that can help me judge the fair and balanced part of these depictions.

Zoe Moonchild
Master Member
Last Login:July 22, 2011, 06:29:35 am

Religion: Celtic Pagan
TCN ID: Zoe Moonchild

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #40: November 08, 2010, 05:20:38 pm »

Depends upon how it's presented.

I totally agree with that.  It should be educational but not to sway someone one way or the other.  Present the facts and people will decide for themselves.  They do anyway, but hopefully something educational would give them an informed basis for making that decision instead of fear.  

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take,
it is measured by the moments that take your breath away.
sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #41: November 08, 2010, 05:33:40 pm »

I totally agree with that.  It should be educational but not to sway someone one way or the other.  Present the facts and people will decide for themselves.  They do anyway, but hopefully something educational would give them an informed basis for making that decision instead of fear.  

Good luck getting that from Any US news organization.
sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #42: November 08, 2010, 05:36:38 pm »

both, really, but what I'm really looking for is the centered source (or sources) that can help me judge the fair and balanced part of these depictions.

Maybe Pew or Rasmussan polling on attitudes of Muslims would be a good place to start.

I've got a bunch of places I read, but I doubt you'd like them.
mandrina
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #43: November 08, 2010, 05:40:46 pm »

Maybe Pew or Rasmussan polling on attitudes of Muslims would be a good place to start.

I've got a bunch of places I read, but I doubt you'd like them.

so you're admitting that the places you read are biased one way? 

What I'm trying to do is judge the media, not just Fox, but also Fox too, on how they present muslims, as religionists, as people, etc, and I'm trying to find a place that does that at the same time being as little biased as possible, for or against Fox or the other media outlets.

sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #44: November 08, 2010, 05:52:34 pm »

so you're admitting that the places you read are biased one way? 

What I'm trying to do is judge the media, not just Fox, but also Fox too, on how they present muslims, as religionists, as people, etc, and I'm trying to find a place that does that at the same time being as little biased as possible, for or against Fox or the other media outlets.

No. But I don't expect you to believe they are not biased.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.