The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 02, 2020, 03:39:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 02, 2020, 03:39:11 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Inspirational Books  (Read 2582 times)
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: October 27, 2010, 02:25:08 am »

I desperately need to get out of a rut, so I'm looking for inspiration in the form of a book or two.  Printable websites would also be fine.

Specifically, I'm looking for something that provides topics/questions for meditation and journaling, preferably focused on Celtic spirituality.  Maybe some kind of daily devotional sort of thing.

And, for this purpose, I don't really care about historical accuracy.  I'm good with the history -- I've read a LOT over the years and can readily spot the mistakes and misconceptions.   Wink  What I'm looking for is less about learning the facts, and more about thinking through my personal spirituality.  Something to make me think about things I otherwise wouldn't, and maybe to provide a little structure for my thinking.

The books that spring to my mind first are Caitlin Matthews's Celtic devotionals.  I think she has two or three out.  But I don't really know much about them. 

Does anyone have those books?  What do you think of them? 

Any other suggestions?

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Gonner
Journeyman
Last Login:June 18, 2011, 08:45:00 am
Angola Angola

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #1: October 27, 2010, 10:18:10 am »

And, for this purpose, I don't really care about historical accuracy.  I'm good with the history -- I've read a LOT over the years and can readily spot the mistakes and misconceptions.   Wink  
The books that spring to my mind first are Caitlin Matthews's Celtic devotionals.  I think she has two or three out.  But I don't really know much about them.

Does anyone have those books?  What do you think of them?  

I think the epic fail says it all for me lol
uote
darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: October 27, 2010, 11:12:26 am »

I desperately need to get out of a rut, so I'm looking for inspiration in the form of a book or two.  Printable websites would also be fine.

FWIW, This site, while not scholarly, does present some rather common ideas for journaling.  Maybe you could start with this for now?  Also, think about specific ideas or topics within your spirituality...what do they mean to you?  Fe'x, write a few paragraphs as to what the six virtues mean to you.  How do you incorportate them into your life?  You could also use your journal like a "prayer" book.  Take a few minutes and simply "talk" to your Deity, then maybe you could meditate for a few minutes afterward to see if you get any responses. 

I'll see if I can dig up anything else.  I don't know anything about the Caitlin Matthews book, so I hope someone else will chime in with more info.  I took a look at the book on Amazon, but I'd rather read it before giving a solid opinion.

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: October 27, 2010, 11:48:38 am »

I think the epic fail says it all for me lol

Cheesy

Oh, I'm fully aware that Matthews is not considered a reliable source for academic/historical material.  I would never use any of his or hers or their books (John and Caitlin Matthews) for factual info.

But that's not what I'm looking for right now.

So, do you dislike Matthews because of the shaky scholarship?  Or do you also have issues with the inspirational aspects?  If the latter, why?

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: October 27, 2010, 11:50:12 am »

FWIW, This site, while not scholarly, does present some rather common ideas for journaling.  Maybe you could start with this for now?  Also, think about specific ideas or topics within your spirituality...what do they mean to you?  Fe'x, write a few paragraphs as to what the six virtues mean to you.  How do you incorportate them into your life?  You could also use your journal like a "prayer" book.  Take a few minutes and simply "talk" to your Deity, then maybe you could meditate for a few minutes afterward to see if you get any responses. 

Thanks, Dara.  That site might be a good starting point.

Which six virtues are you referring to?  (I've seen a variety of groupings.)

darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: October 27, 2010, 11:54:38 am »

Thanks, Dara.  That site might be a good starting point.

Which six virtues are you referring to?  (I've seen a variety of groupings.)

As I understand them: Honor, Justice, Courage, Hospitality, Truth, and Wisdom.  I think it's from the Imbas site.

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: October 27, 2010, 12:36:19 pm »

The books that spring to my mind first are Caitlin Matthews's Celtic devotionals.  I think she has two or three out.  But I don't really know much about them. 

Does anyone have those books?  What do you think of them? 

I've read through The Celtic Spirit but not Celtic Devotional.

I really enjoyed it. I've said it before and I'll say it again at the risk of sounding like a fluffy squish: I find a lot of inspiration in their works; not facts, not history: inspiration. I think of them in the same way I think of Robert Graves or Joseph Campbell. I can't deny the inspiration and profound influence both of these authors had on me, no matter how much fault I find with their facts/method/scholarship. If finding poetry in them makes me a fluffy squish, then so be it.

/end of apology

Anyway.  Wink  It was a really nice way to begin working with specific images, and start a more meditative journaling practice.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #7: October 27, 2010, 01:13:06 pm »

You dont need to apolgize for something that works for you.

As much as I am for correct history and facts, I am not trying to be a history professor, I am trying to walk my path.
So I see a necessity in drawing a line between historical and archaeological facts and what I need to go on.

Call it fluffy all you like, as long as I am not claiming it to be ultimate truth, force feeding others with it and as long as it helps me along - who cares?

And after all, it is not, that science has never gotten anything wrong either.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: October 27, 2010, 01:33:32 pm »

not facts, not history: inspiration

Yes.  This.

Thanks, Finn and Tana.  I don't think any of us is particularly fluffy, and I think it's valid to draw inspiration from any source that works for you.

And thanks for the recommendation.  I think I'll start with the one you've read, and then go from there.

Caitlin Matthews also has a book out about "The Goddess".  I'm a bit leery -- shades of a Universal Mother Goddess -- but it might still be a good source of inspiration.  Anyone have thoughts about that one?

Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: October 27, 2010, 03:56:04 pm »

Caitlin Matthews also has a book out about "The Goddess".  I'm a bit leery -- shades of a Universal Mother Goddess -- but it might still be a good source of inspiration.  Anyone have thoughts about that one?

I'm a little leery myself. But this is what I do whenever I encounter that sort of thing in texts. I say to myself, "Just ignore the UMG and take this information as information about (insert goddess here) instead."

Does that make sense? Basically I just ignore the UMG implication/label and focus on the information given as a source of inspiration to that particular goddess. It's given me a lot of food for thought with regards to Brighid and a couple of other goddesses.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: October 27, 2010, 10:30:40 pm »

Does that make sense? Basically I just ignore the UMG implication/label and focus on the information given as a source of inspiration to that particular goddess. It's given me a lot of food for thought with regards to Brighid and a couple of other goddesses.

Yes, that makes sense.

Do you have any particular books in this vein that you like?

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #11: October 28, 2010, 12:40:35 pm »

Not necessarily what you're looking for, but...

I get a lot of inspiration out of daily/weekly cards. They'd give me a subject I can think through and research further. Often one would come up a couple of times in the same month. I've done this with Murray's 'The Celtic Tree Oracle' (with guidebook) and Garr-Cromm's 'Druid Animal Oracle' (with guidebook).

Of course the guidebooks don't have much of an acadamic information value and the cards are no where near historical accuracy, but bits and pieces of celtic lore and myth turn up with every card and its chapter in the guidebook, that often inspires me to research and meditate about something further.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: October 28, 2010, 03:03:45 pm »

I get a lot of inspiration out of daily/weekly cards.

Hmmmm.  This is an interesting idea.  I have a couple different "Celtic Oracle" decks I could try.

Thanks!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)