The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 27, 2020, 01:32:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 27, 2020, 01:32:51 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Holiday ick  (Read 5333 times)
Figment99
Master Member
Last Login:September 30, 2011, 05:02:26 pm
United States United States

Religion: Pagan with Green and Kitchen Witch leanings

I'm trying to bloom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: October 28, 2010, 05:40:53 pm »

(Sorry, I couldn't think of a better title)

It's that time of year again, holiday season! I already find that it is affecting me and making me highly uncomfortable, so I thought I would ask for advice and about the different methods people use to make it through the holiday season with all the stress, icky energy, and worry that is floating around this time of year.

I am pretty good a shielding myself, but it doesn't seem to be enough this year. What are some of the ways you block some of the more nasty energies you find around the holidays? How do you deal with the stress (not all of it being your own) and the people that come along with that stress?

Thanks!

True Greatness Shows Great Kindness

A Pagan Egroup -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheInnerSanctuary/ <-Feel free to join

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #1: October 28, 2010, 05:49:51 pm »

You are talking x-mas holiday now, I guess?

Well, what helps me most, is not participating anymore in all the stress and rush all the folks complains about.
We just dont play that game anymore and now it is for me like watching from a distance all the people rushing and running and ruining the quiet time of the winter solstice for themselves.

It is not mine.
This keeps most of it away.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: October 28, 2010, 06:24:23 pm »

It's that time of year again, holiday season! I already find that it is affecting me and making me highly uncomfortable, so I thought I would ask for advice and about the different methods people use to make it through the holiday season with all the stress, icky energy, and worry that is floating around this time of year.

I am pretty good a shielding myself, but it doesn't seem to be enough this year. What are some of the ways you block some of the more nasty energies you find around the holidays? How do you deal with the stress (not all of it being your own) and the people that come along with that stress?

My holiday ick seems to be a bit different than your holiday ick.  Mine is mainly the horror of finding Christmas decorations on the shelves at the same time as the Halloween decorations, having to listen to all the insipid songs, rampant consumerism, and the "War on Christmas" idiots.

As far as stress, I just don't involve myself in any holiday activities and just watch everyone else run around like a chicken with its head chopped off.  Of course, my method involves learning to take pleasure in the misery of others which -- for some odd reason -- not many people seem willing to do.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Figment99
Master Member

I'm trying to bloom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: October 28, 2010, 07:05:27 pm »

My holiday ick seems to be a bit different than your holiday ick.  Mine is mainly the horror of finding Christmas decorations on the shelves at the same time as the Halloween decorations, having to listen to all the insipid songs, rampant consumerism, and the "War on Christmas" idiots.

As far as stress, I just don't involve myself in any holiday activities and just watch everyone else run around like a chicken with its head chopped off.  Of course, my method involves learning to take pleasure in the misery of others which -- for some odd reason -- not many people seem willing to do.

Nah, I'm not one of those who run around either, I am pretty much done with my holiday shopping. I also watch as everyone around me is rushing around to get more crap to buy.

The stress I feel is mostly from other people. Their energies and stress just smoother me. I am usually OK about shaking it off, but maybe it is with the added stress of the economy and other worries that people have this year that seem to be just rubbing me wrong....and it isn't even November yet.

Sigh, I guess this is going to be a rough winter for me.

A Pagan Egroup -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheInnerSanctuary/ <-Feel free to join
veggiewolf
Adept Member
Last Login:November 14, 2014, 01:04:25 pm

Religion: Hoer of Onions / FlameKeeper
TCN ID: veggiewolf

Stop it, or I'll bury you alive in a box.

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Reply #4: October 28, 2010, 07:07:48 pm »

Seriously, were you at my house last year Mel?  Grin

Ask me about FlameKeeping!

"I can't take HIS money; I can't print MY OWN money.  Why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson
"My dream has been shattered into shards of a broken dream!" - Homer Simpson
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: October 28, 2010, 07:17:58 pm »

Seriously, were you at my house last year Mel?  Grin

If I remember correctly, I was too busy dealing with a bunch of trolls and troll-like idiots on this forum to go to anyone else's house.  But there was one particularly satisfying ban that happened on Yule, maybe that's what you felt?

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Figment99
Master Member

I'm trying to bloom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: October 28, 2010, 07:22:13 pm »

Of course, my method involves learning to take pleasure in the misery of others which -- for some odd reason -- not many people seem willing to do.
That all depends on who the person is. Sometimes I enjoy some good misery on other people, hopefully it will teach them something.

Nimue
Master Member
Last Login:May 09, 2011, 10:31:43 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: October 29, 2010, 12:19:51 am »

Thanks!

I work retail, so I definitely know what you are talking about.  I either tend to do a mirror-like shield, or I wear my onyx.  Both are very effective for me when dealing with cranky customers.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: October 29, 2010, 12:48:36 am »

or I wear my onyx

Black tourmaline is also very effective for shielding against negative energies.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #9: October 29, 2010, 01:35:50 am »

If I remember correctly, I was too busy dealing with a bunch of trolls and troll-like idiots on this forum to go to anyone else's house.  But there was one particularly satisfying ban that happened on Yule, maybe that's what you felt?

I remember a lot of that, but then I went to Egypt for the holidays last year. It's just a shame that I can't do that again this year, but I need to be here for my family. We are all having a really rough time at the moment so we are all trying to be there for each other as much as we possibly can, so it seems that I can't avoid it. I tend to ignore it until mid November. It doesn't exist until after Elizabeth's birthday. Then I will go shopping, get everything in one day and then stay away from it all!

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
Figment99
Master Member

I'm trying to bloom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: October 29, 2010, 09:31:09 am »

Black tourmaline is also very effective for shielding against negative energies.
I have both onyx and black tourmaline, I will have to start carrying some in my pocket. I have also heard that fire agate is really good. Does anyone have any personal experience with this stone?

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: October 29, 2010, 09:25:31 pm »

I have both onyx and black tourmaline, I will have to start carrying some in my pocket. I have also heard that fire agate is really good. Does anyone have any personal experience with this stone?

I don't get a shielding feeling from fire agate.  For me, it's more about amplifying energy.

Also, a lot of what people call fire agate is not actually fire agate.  This site has some amazing pics of true fire agate.  This page shows a kind of material that is incorrectly labeled fire agate.  The crackly effect is from a heating process.

Just in case it matters to you.  Smiley  (I know lots of people don't really care that much about rocks.)

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
tinapo85
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 02, 2011, 12:52:04 am

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Tina Palmer

Ignore
« Reply #12: October 29, 2010, 10:35:46 pm »

Thanks!

I apologize in advance because I am the queen of holiday ick. I work in Advertising, this is the worst time of the year for me at work.

I tend to stay away from wal-mart. I try to stay away from wal mart most of the time but this is especially crucial around the holidays.

I know that might not be the solution you are looking for but it makes all the difference in the world for me. Sure there is ick in other places but there is a lot at wal mart.
Figment99
Master Member

I'm trying to bloom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: October 30, 2010, 11:55:57 am »

I don't get a shielding feeling from fire agate.  For me, it's more about amplifying energy.

Also, a lot of what people call fire agate is not actually fire agate.  This site has some amazing pics of true fire agate.  This page shows a kind of material that is incorrectly labeled fire agate.  The crackly effect is from a heating process.

Just in case it matters to you.  Smiley  (I know lots of people don't really care that much about rocks.)
I really like rocks and stones, so thank you for this. I have seen both, but surprising don't have any fire agate.

I am going to be out and about in public for the next couple of days and will need to make sure I have some onyx or tourmaline in my pocket for sure.

Derek
Master Member
Last Login:December 08, 2012, 04:12:38 pm

Religion: hellenic-ish polytheist

In the beginning, the Universe percieved itself.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: October 30, 2010, 10:34:44 pm »

I am pretty good a shielding myself, but it doesn't seem to be enough this year.

As a rule, I don't noticably feel other people's ick.  With the few exceptions, I employ a specific shielding visualization.

I erect a latticework cage around myself with my own energy, then feel the earth growing large-leaf vines throughout.  The vines become so thick, the leaves cover the entire outer surface.  That way the energy is absorbed by the plant and shunted down into the ground, without touching my personal energy.

When done, I take it down by... *popping,* the latticework.  This pushes the plants away from me, and they fall to the ground without the support of the frame.

The purpose of Life is to experience. In order to experience new things, one has to change and grow. Therefore, to grow is integral to fulfilling the purpose of Life.
Conversly: Monotony is an experience.  Therefore, stagnation can be integral to fulfilling the purpose of Life.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)