The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 27, 2020, 02:25:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 27, 2020, 02:25:04 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Holiday ick  (Read 5334 times)
Cliona
Journeyman
Last Login:July 22, 2011, 11:55:35 am
United States United States

Religion: ADF, UU

not quite an eagle, but not quite a goose

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: October 31, 2010, 01:56:55 pm »

I am pretty good a shielding myself, but it doesn't seem to be enough this year. What are some of the ways you block some of the more nasty energies you find around the holidays? How do you deal with the stress (not all of it being your own) and the people that come along with that stress?

I tend to enjoy the holiday season and am usually very calm about it. I shop thrifty, I make a lot of my gifts, I love the time with my family.

What gets to me is my work environment. I work security at the Mall of America and if there is anywhere that maniacal holiday stress congregates, it's there. And not only are the people more stressed - a lot of frustration because people who never come to the mall decide it's a good idea for their one-stop shopping and they can't find anything, it's too big for them and they're not used to it - I find myself particularly sensitive to the insensitivity of this mindless kind of shopping. The materialism is what disturbs me. I do give gifts, but there's a lot of thought that goes into them, and I give them only to people I know and love well, to avoid getting useless trinkets for less well-known acquaintances that become either clutter or trash. When I see shoppers with thousands of dollars worth of merchandise that they're having trouble lugging around, it saddens me because that money could be put to such better use. I'm a big believer in a "vote with your dollar" mentality, that if we want to change business ethics and how the world is treated - the earth itself and all who live on it - we need to support those businesses that are committed to sustainability, fair trade, equal treatment, etc. And frankly, most of the stores at the Mall of America are not ethical businesses. That they reap so much money, that people don't put a significant amount of thought into how their purchases affect the world around them or what will become of them after the holiday season is over, that's my holiday ick.

And then I come home and I feel safe and better. The atmosphere is simpler, calmer, more loving, less hollow and materialistic.

I enjoy working security, especially at MOA, because I love helping people, but the holiday season...not looking forward to it.

I'll try some of the suggestions in this thread, try to keep my mind and spirit calm at work, especially Black Friday. Oh Gods, I'm not looking forward to Black Friday...

I will follow you into the deep, as a young bird has to learn to fly
- Whale Rider, Edenbridge

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

stephyjh
Master Member
Last Login:October 01, 2013, 01:56:16 am
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Celtic polytheist with Native American influences
TCN ID: stephyjh

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: October 31, 2010, 09:18:58 pm »

I'll try some of the suggestions in this thread, try to keep my mind and spirit calm at work, especially Black Friday. Oh Gods, I'm not looking forward to Black Friday...

This. Yes. I work at the #2-grossing Radio Shack in the nation, and Black Friday is going to kick my butt. It's the kind of day that motivates me to do well in my studies so that I can get the hell out of retail.

veggiewolf
Adept Member
Last Login:November 14, 2014, 01:04:25 pm

Religion: Hoer of Onions / FlameKeeper
TCN ID: veggiewolf

Stop it, or I'll bury you alive in a box.

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Reply #17: October 31, 2010, 10:00:02 pm »

I really like rocks and stones, so thank you for this. I have seen both, but surprising don't have any fire agate.

I am going to be out and about in public for the next couple of days and will need to make sure I have some onyx or tourmaline in my pocket for sure.

A pocket mirror may work as well.  I have a small one I carry in either my front or back pocket when I go holiday shopping and it helps me not come home covered in the emotions of others.  A salt-water bath when I get home also helps.

Ask me about FlameKeeping!

"I can't take HIS money; I can't print MY OWN money.  Why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson
"My dream has been shattered into shards of a broken dream!" - Homer Simpson
Rowanfox
Master Member
Last Login:December 02, 2010, 12:55:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Gardnerian

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: November 01, 2010, 12:47:34 am »

(Sorry, I couldn't think of a better title)

It's that time of year again, holiday season! I already find that it is affecting me and making me highly uncomfortable, so I thought I would ask for advice and about the different methods people use to make it through the holiday season with all the stress, icky energy, and worry that is floating around this time of year.

I am pretty good a shielding myself, but it doesn't seem to be enough this year. What are some of the ways you block some of the more nasty energies you find around the holidays? How do you deal with the stress (not all of it being your own) and the people that come along with that stress?

Thanks!

I don't really have a problem with holiday ick. I do see the stress, but I also try to be a soothing balm on troubled waters. i sort of try extra hard to drive nice, and just be extra polite and gracious. For the most part, this creates a reciprocal reaction in the folks I interact with..... making the whole day just....nicer.

Oprah's random acts of kindness, practiced at this time of year, go a long way to melting the ick......

Of course, I also just love this time of year. I like the seasonal weather, I look forward to baking seasonal goodies, and decorating for Yule. I love to plan gatherings for family and friends, from full blown dinners to simple coffees, and the season just sort of lends itself to this. People that may not take the time to simply socialize for the fun of it will often do so for the season. If nothing else, it is a damn fine excuse to get together in front of a roaring fire and lift a glass to salute the season.

Wassail!

Figment99
Master Member
Last Login:September 30, 2011, 05:02:26 pm

Religion: Pagan with Green and Kitchen Witch leanings

I'm trying to bloom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: November 01, 2010, 05:07:02 pm »

I tend to enjoy the holiday season and am usually very calm about it. I shop thrifty, I make a lot of my gifts, I love the time with my family.

I enjoy working security, especially at MOA, because I love helping people, but the holiday season...not looking forward to it.

I wouldn't be looking forward to the holiday season at work either if I had your job...yikes.

Like you though, I do enjoy the season of family, food, and fun during the cold winter months. (Although I am not a fan of Winter) I make several of the gifts I give also and my home is full of light, simple energies that calm pretty much everyone.

Luckly I am almost done with all my gift buying this year, I have to finish two knitting/crocheting projects that I'm doing for gifts but that is about it. I should be able to avoid most of the holiday shopping stress, I just have to worry about picking it up from my husband's family who is always around.

True Greatness Shows Great Kindness

A Pagan Egroup -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheInnerSanctuary/ <-Feel free to join
Vermillion
Journeyman
Last Login:December 29, 2013, 04:32:42 pm

Religion: Witchcraft Practitioner- Naturist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: November 03, 2010, 06:19:14 pm »

You are talking x-mas holiday now, I guess?

Well, what helps me most, is not participating anymore in all the stress and rush all the folks complains about.
We just dont play that game anymore and now it is for me like watching from a distance all the people rushing and running and ruining the quiet time of the winter solstice for themselves.

It is not mine.
This keeps most of it away.

This is how I deal with it too. Sadly, most of my family are all nutjobs and therefore the holidays were always a source of great stress and dread for me. Once I figured out where I stood in life(paganism) I figured out I could control the amount of garbage I was taking in from it.

I just don't engage in any of that. I now have several health problems that are actually helping me in that area, too. I can no longer just go to someone's house and eat dinner, so that leaves the "fakeness" that surrounded big family holiday dinners out. And we don't worry and stress out about money because we don't buy for anyone. To us, if the season is about enjoying the company of your family, we'll call your bluff. It's weeded the greedy people out, that's for sure.

We send online cards only, we make all our meals here(they come or they don't), and we only buy for the kids and not tons and tons of garbage either. Just one or two things, they're happy with that and they actually hate getting huge bozes of stuff from people because it's usually stuff they'll never touch. We ask for gift cards only, or nothing.

It has cut the stress from the holidays tenfold. We now enjoy them so much more without all the feelings of being "forced" to do something.
Thevail
Senior Newbie
Last Login:December 18, 2010, 12:48:53 am

Religion: spiritual :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: December 06, 2010, 04:09:47 am »

(Sorry, I couldn't think of a better title)

It's that time of year again, holiday season! ...How do you deal with the stress (not all of it being your own) and the people that come along with that stress?

Thanks!

December now, and the madness seems to be gripping people especially hard this year. I wonder if it isn't partially the disparity between the holiday shopping/consumeristic ideology of expressing your love (and status) through spending vs. the ugly economic reality on the ground nearly everywhere that's causing it to be so..frenzied.

Every time I'm in a store it's like the freaked out shopping zombies are everywhere yelling, glaring, and just being magnificently unhappy. So I developed a little mental shield that seems to work pretty well. I just picture my teeth as absolutely gleaming and shiny and I smile, not a fake smile, but a real "I may burst out laughing at any moment" smile. I figure it works mentally for me the same way one poster described using a mirror, and heck it may be the only smile that person sees all day. It really does seem to make a positive difference about 85% of the time.

Hope it helps you have a happy holiday.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)