The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 04, 2020, 10:26:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 04, 2020, 10:26:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Cailleach  (Read 12120 times)
SunflowerP
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:Today at 12:00:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: November 03, 2010, 08:26:50 pm »

Mm, I figured. Thanks for that article. It definitely puts things into a better perspective, but I don't think the entry per se says he is completely wrong, but it kind of looks more like a UPG spin on the whole idea? Or maybe thats just because I'm looking at it from that angle.
I'd say the article supports his UPG very well - at least as well, and possibly better (though I'd have to know more about the details of his UPG to be certain) than his own pseudo-etymology does.  This amuses me; it's an object lesson in the pitfalls of trying to construct verification for the unverified, rather than either putting the time and effort into doing the research properly, or letting your UPG stand or fall on its own merits.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

« Reply #16: November 04, 2010, 10:28:00 am »

I'm going to try to articulate my thoughts here, but I'm not sure I can, so just prod me if I'm being clear as mud. Cheesy

The Kemetic fluidity of deity is something that really makes sense to me, and I see a lot of parallels between the Celts and the Kemetics. I think this fluidity is most obvious with the Morrigan, though I think a lot of people just see it as lacking the resources to be definitive, as opposed to actually being able to be herself and then someone else, without losing herself.

That is how I approach Brighid. She is many; she is a little bit different wherever she goes, because her people are a little bit different, and while she can be all of her selves at once, she isn't always. Bride, with her connection to the Cailleach, is not my Brighid. It is one of her selves that I have no relationship with, so the Cailleach plays no role in my religious life.

I really hope that made sense.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: November 04, 2010, 10:52:51 am »

That is how I approach Brighid. She is many; she is a little bit different wherever she goes, because her people are a little bit different, and while she can be all of her selves at once, she isn't always. Bride, with her connection to the Cailleach, is not my Brighid. It is one of her selves that I have no relationship with, so the Cailleach plays no role in my religious life.

That made sense to me.  (But I'm very tired right now and my head hurts, so...  Wink )

I have a similar viewpoint about Brighid having many selves.  I take it a bit further, though, and speculate that the Being I know as Brighid is also known by other names to other groups/times.  And while Her basic nature is constant, some of the details may vary.  I also believe Brighid is much older than the Celts.

However, what I understand of the Cailleach is VERY different from how I understand Brighid.  That might be because I haven't read enough about tC (I really hope that abbreviation isn't offensive!) and, therefore, don't have a deep understanding of Her nature.  But, to me, She feels like an entirely separate Being from Brighid.  And so She plays no role in my religious life, either.

OTOH, I think I need to learn more about Her and Her connections to Brighid.  Maybe I'll find something if I dig deeper.

Does anyone have a favorite source for info on tC?

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Caroline
Master Member
Last Login:October 07, 2011, 11:24:24 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: November 04, 2010, 12:38:47 pm »

Does anyone have a favorite source for info on tC?

Besides the 'Book of the Cailleach', among other folklore something that touches me deeply is 'the Lament of the Old Woman of Beara'

http://www.maryjones.us/ctexts/beare.html

'Three great ages: the age of the yew tree; the age of the eagle; and the age of the Cailleach Bheira.'
SunflowerP
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:Today at 12:00:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: November 05, 2010, 12:08:28 am »

The Kemetic fluidity of deity is something that really makes sense to me, and I see a lot of parallels between the Celts and the Kemetics. I think this fluidity is most obvious with the Morrigan, though I think a lot of people just see it as lacking the resources to be definitive, as opposed to actually being able to be herself and then someone else, without losing herself.

<nodnodnod> I don't necessarily subscribe wholesale to the Kemetic-style fluidity - not so much because I actively disagree, but just because of my perpetual agnosticism and my preference for developing my own understanding via direct experience/UPG - but I find it extremely useful for getting a handle on the way that individuation/identity doesn't work the same way for deity-type people as it does for human-type people (or, hmmm, doesn't fit the narrative of the standard human social constructs about individuation/identity, something that can also be true for human-type people... but that's a whole 'nother can of rumination, one I might take up with Darkhawk at some point since I'm pretty sure she'll know what I'm pondering there).

The way you express it above is a pretty fair reflection of my own view/experiences.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #20: November 05, 2010, 11:54:32 pm »

I found something really interesting today, while looking up on stuff on Brighid (while procrastinating on my post  Cheesy).

Quote from: Wikipedia article on "Brigid of Kildare"
According to the Tradition of the Orthodox church, Saint Brigid lost one of her eyes which saved her from being married against her will. The following are the first and second troparia of the fourth ode of the canon of the saint from the Orthodox Matins service:

Considering the beauty of the body as of no account, when one of thine eyes was destroyed thou didst rejoice, O venerable one, for thou didst desire to behold the splendour of heaven and to glorify God with the choirs of the righteous.

Spurning an earthly betrothed, and praying beyond hope that the refusal of thy parents be changed, thou didst find aid from on high, so that the beauty of thy body was ruined.

I found it interesting because the Cailleach is described in a couple of accounts of having only one eye (although I'm not sure if its a singular eye, or one's missing). Just a bit of food for thought, I guess.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Gravatar

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #21: December 19, 2010, 02:58:42 am »

That could be a connection. Being a patroness of wild animals in some regions, Boí being a variant of bó(cows&cattle), on top of the fact she was related to a cow-Goddess on Inis Boí, and in some legends said to own a big bull called Tarbh Conraidh.

Where is Inis Boí located? I'm trying to Google it and nothing seems to be coming up. Is this an older name, or a fictional place?

“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
UlsterYank
Master Member
Last Login:January 21, 2013, 02:18:03 pm
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Religion: Traidisiúnachais Gaelach, Witchcraft, Thelema
TCN ID: UlsterYank

Déan mar is Toil leat, a bheas mar iomlán an Dlí

Blog entries (0)

anmericeanach

Ignore
« Reply #22: December 19, 2010, 04:15:04 am »

Where is Inis Boí located? I'm trying to Google it and nothing seems to be coming up. Is this an older name, or a fictional place?

It's an island at the tip of Cork's Beara Peninsula. It's an older name, the modern one being Oileán Baoi. http://www.geograph.ie/photo/284002

Inis is an Old Irish term for "island", the modern, oileán is obviously a loan word. You see both used interchangeably on road signs, but for some reason I've seen oileán used more frequently in Munster.

"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains" AL II:9
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Gravatar

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #23: December 19, 2010, 04:23:35 am »

It's an island at the tip of Cork's Beara Peninsula. It's an older name, the modern one being Oileán Baoi. http://www.geograph.ie/photo/284002

Inis is an Old Irish term for "island", the modern, oileán is obviously a loan word. You see both used interchangeably on road signs, but for some reason I've seen oileán used more frequently in Munster.

Ahh, okay. Thanks! Smiley

UlsterYank
Master Member
Last Login:January 21, 2013, 02:18:03 pm
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Religion: Traidisiúnachais Gaelach, Witchcraft, Thelema
TCN ID: UlsterYank

Déan mar is Toil leat, a bheas mar iomlán an Dlí

Blog entries (0)

anmericeanach

Ignore
« Reply #24: December 19, 2010, 04:26:43 am »

Ahh, okay. Thanks! Smiley
No probs!  Cheesy

"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains" AL II:9
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #25: January 24, 2011, 09:19:13 pm »

So, how do y'all approach this aspect of Brighid's story?  Or do you?

I hadn't given the Cailleach much thought until my trip to Ireland back in the fall. We visited the Cailleach Beara rock. (Yes, I do have photos, though the sort of junk people consider "offerings" might be a bit shocking...)

I definitely feel the presence of the winter hag this year, though not as harshly as last year when we got 40-something inches of snow. This year it's been wind and biting cold. Maybe she's laughing at us. Maybe I'll feel much better when she melts into a nice, friendly maiden in the spring.

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)