The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 03, 2020, 01:47:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 03, 2020, 01:47:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Cill Projects?  (Read 11460 times)
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: November 01, 2010, 05:57:10 pm »

Hello, Cill-Mates.

Now that we're mostly through Samhain, I thought I'd post to see if anyone is interested in a Cill project or two.

First, is anyone interested in doing a Brighid's cross/brat exchange this year, like we did last year?  The way it worked before was for everyone who wanted to participate to let me know via PM or email by a certain date.  Then I randomly matched people up in a "Secret Santa" sort of exchange.  Participants were asked to try to send a Brighid's cross or a Brat or both to their recipient in time for it to arrive by January 29 or so, so the recipients could put it out for Brighid's blessing on Imbolc Eve.  Also, participants are asked not to spend much money on the cross/brat -- the point is NOT to send an expensive gift, but, rather, to simply share with each other.

Is there interest in doing something similar this year?

Second, I've been wondering if there might be any interest in developing a shared flamekeeping ritual that we could all use, if we wanted to.  I'm thinking about some sort of small ritual of accepting the flame from the keeper before us and then passing it on to the next keeper.  Nothing big -- just something that would tie us together a bit.

If anyone is interested in that, maybe we could work together on developing something for the Cill.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: November 02, 2010, 12:53:01 am »

I'd love to participate in the Cill brat/cross exchange. In fact, I'm pretty sure I have some yarn left over from last year.

And I think developing a small ritual together would be a great way to foster a connection between us as Keepers in the Cill.

Did you have any sort of inspiration in mind for the ritual? Lord knows we have myths, legends, and texts like the Carmina to "adapt" from, and maybe we could try our hand at coming up with something original.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: November 02, 2010, 01:35:54 am »

Did you have any sort of inspiration in mind for the ritual? Lord knows we have myths, legends, and texts like the Carmina to "adapt" from, and maybe we could try our hand at coming up with something original.

Nope.  Cheesy

I'm actually not that big on ritual, myself, and I know others here are much more poetic than I am.  I'm sorta hoping someone else will be inspired.   Wink

If necessary, though, I'm fairly sure I could come up with something (possibly based on the Carmina or maybe the Wonder Tales) usable.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
folksymama
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2011, 01:56:10 pm

Religion: Kitchen Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: November 02, 2010, 01:36:36 pm »

Hello, Cill-Mates.

Now that we're mostly through Samhain, I thought I'd post to see if anyone is interested in a Cill project or two.

If anyone is interested in that, maybe we could work together on developing something for the Cill.

Yes, I think both ideas sound wonderful!  I'm also not huge into ritual, but either, but it would be nice to have something that makes our shift schedules a little more cohesive.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: November 02, 2010, 05:35:51 pm »

Yes, I think both ideas sound wonderful!  I'm also not huge into ritual, but either, but it would be nice to have something that makes our shift schedules a little more cohesive.

Cool!

I'm going to give it a few days to give everyone a chance to weigh in.  Then maybe we can decide on a plan. 

If anyone is particularly interested in working on writing a ritual, please say so, so I know who to go back to for that.   Cheesy

And I'll volunteer to coordinate the cross/brat exchange again.  Assuming there's enough interest...

darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: November 03, 2010, 11:15:56 am »

Hello, Cill-Mates.

Yes and YES.  More detail to follow.

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
Finn
High Adept Member

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: November 03, 2010, 09:31:02 pm »

If anyone is particularly interested in working on writing a ritual, please say so, so I know who to go back to for that.   Cheesy

I would, if my rituals actually consisted of anything other than, "Uh... what's up? Have some snacks. Oh, and uh, thanks."   Cheesy

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: November 03, 2010, 09:58:42 pm »

I would, if my rituals actually consisted of anything other than, "Uh... what's up? Have some snacks. Oh, and uh, thanks."   Cheesy

Oh, Finn.  And you're one of the writers in the family, aren't you?  Wink

I have every confidence that you could write a beautiful ritual, if you felt the need. 

Finn
High Adept Member

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: November 04, 2010, 12:29:58 am »

Oh, Finn.  And you're one of the writers in the family, aren't you?  Wink

I have every confidence that you could write a beautiful ritual, if you felt the need. 

::blush::

I pretend to be a writer most of the time. Hopefully some of the other poets (and liturgists and people who actually use ritual) will come up and save me further embarrassment.  Wink

Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

« Reply #9: November 04, 2010, 10:18:16 am »

First, is anyone interested in doing a Brighid's cross/brat exchange this year, like we did last year?  The way it worked before was for everyone who wanted to participate to let me know via PM or email by a certain date.  Then I randomly matched people up in a "Secret Santa" sort of exchange.  Participants were asked to try to send a Brighid's cross or a Brat or both to their recipient in time for it to arrive by January 29 or so, so the recipients could put it out for Brighid's blessing on Imbolc Eve.  Also, participants are asked not to spend much money on the cross/brat -- the point is NOT to send an expensive gift, but, rather, to simply share with each other.

Is there interest in doing something similar this year?

I am definitely interested in this again (though I have to remember to go to the post office in the town over to mail it!)

Second, I've been wondering if there might be any interest in developing a shared flamekeeping ritual that we could all use, if we wanted to.  I'm thinking about some sort of small ritual of accepting the flame from the keeper before us and then passing it on to the next keeper.  Nothing big -- just something that would tie us together a bit.

Ritual is so not my strong point, but this has a lot of appeal for me. I'll see if I can come up with anything (though I make no promises!)

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: November 04, 2010, 11:45:39 am »

If anyone is particularly interested in working on writing a ritual, please say so, so I know who to go back to for that.   Cheesy

And I'll volunteer to coordinate the cross/brat exchange again.  Assuming there's enough interest...

Definitely interesting in working on a ritual. Smiley  Also, sign me up for the brat exchange, please.

For the ritual, I think we can all come up with something that would work.  It doesn't have to be anything fancy, maybe a sentence or two saying something like "From heart to hearth, I keep this flame tonight, as my 'Cillmates' have before me.  Let the flame continue to burn here with me," then a phrase at the end...oh, something like "From hearth to heart, I pass this flame to my 'Cillmate.' Let the flame continue to burn with Brighid's blessings."

I used "Cillmate" here, but in my head I wanted to use Sisters/Brothers.  I don't know if that would be appropriate, given the fact we would be revealing our genders, but we could stick with something gender-neutral, since we include men.

Perhaps, we could decide on some kind of activity that we would all do during the shifts, if we all had something in common--or perhaps we could give each other a personal challenge.  F'ex--Those of us who write and never have the time, could be "challenged" into spending some time working on a poem for Her or someone that knits could dedicate time in order to perfect the skill.  Whatever Smiley  

« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 11:48:05 am by darashand, Reason: clarity » Logged

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
folksymama
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2011, 01:56:10 pm

Religion: Kitchen Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: November 04, 2010, 12:43:34 pm »

Definitely interesting in working on a ritual. Smiley  Also, sign me up for the brat exchange, please.

Love this!  I wonder if we could incorporate the cillmate/mates that we are either passing to or receiving from.  Like use their actual names (screen names) instead of just a generic term?  Maybe that would feel more like actually receiving the flame from a person?
SunflowerP
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 07:33:31 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: November 05, 2010, 12:43:43 am »

I have every confidence that you could write a beautiful ritual, if you felt the need
That's my sticking-point - I know perfectly well that I can write beautiful ritual, because I've written many many rituals and a significant portion of them were beautiful.  But without the impetus of needing constructed ritual, I can't even write an ugly one.  I've been using the same shift-starting liturgy since the Cill formed, and it fills my need for Cill-related ritual very well - not that I can't add a bit more, just that I don't have need.

That said, Darashand does provide a good start.  I really love the phrase, "from hearth to heart"!  I also like Folksymama's suggestion of using names rather than "cillmate" or "sister/brother" or "cill sibling"; it both sidesteps the gender issue (and there may well be Cill members who don't have a binary gender identity [I don't, though I'm fine with feminine pronouns and terms like "sister"] so that's not insignificant), and makes it more personal so that (IMO) it does more to develop connections in the Cill.

In light of that, my tweaks to Darashand's proposals:
"From hearth to heart, I accept the flame from [name(s)].  Let the flame continue to burn here with me."
"From hearth to heart, I pass the flame to [name(s)].  Let the flame continue to burn with Brigid's blessings."  (I thought about making that "in Brigid's name", but I've long held the hypothesis that Brigid herself covers shifts for those who can't, so "blessings" seems to fit better.)

In the early days of the Cill, several people chose to use their actual names rather than their TC user names for Cill purposes - the evidence of that is still in the roster.  It turned out that, for roster purposes, that could get confusing if we didn't know them well (figuring out what screen name to send a check-in email to, f'ex), so for quite some time now I've been adding new Cill members to the roster under their TC user names and not even asking if they preferred a different one for Cill purposes.  But the basic principle of going by a name to which one has a definite connection, rather than one that might have been chosen in haste or just for fun (as screen names sometimes are), makes a lot of sense in context of the Cill - connection-building, again - so it might be a good idea to go back to that.  (On the admin end, the confusion can be easily eliminated just by keeping good notes!)

Wow, so that's why I was waiting to see what others said before I replied to this thread - I knew I needed to wait, but I wasn't sure why.

As for cross/brat exchange, I'm definitely in.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: November 05, 2010, 02:25:55 am »

But the basic principle of going by a name to which one has a definite connection, rather than one that might have been chosen in haste or just for fun (as screen names sometimes are), makes a lot of sense in context of the Cill - connection-building, again - so it might be a good idea to go back to that.

This has become a rather large issue for me, personally.  When I registered on TC many years ago, I just pulled "Moon Ivy" out of the proverbial hat.  It has nothing to do with my spiritual path.  (I was sitting in a hotel room at the time, and got Moon Ivy from the print hanging on the wall in front of me and the moon shining in the window.)

Lately, I've been feeling more and more disconnected from it (and from my "real" name -- that is, my legal name -- too, but that's a much more complicated problem  Undecided ).  When I set up a new Yahoo account yesterday and joined the Tuatha De Brighid email lists, I decided to use the name that has always been in the back of my head as the one I actually relate to:  Aster.  (That's even the name I used playing D&D back in the 70s/80s  Cheesy)  And I've recently used Breo, as well, so I put them together as a sort of first and last name combo:  Aster Breo.

I would really like to change my screen name here, but I know that would cause confusion, since I've been fairly active for a pretty decent length of time, now.  To be honest, I'm not even sure if screen name changes are allowed by TC's rules (and don't have the spoons to look it up right now).

So, if we're going to use names, I'd kinda like to use the one that feels right to me now.  But I don't want to make things difficult.

Does anyone else have a similar issue?

SunflowerP
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 07:33:31 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: November 05, 2010, 03:31:08 am »

I would really like to change my screen name here, but I know that would cause confusion, since I've been fairly active for a pretty decent length of time, now.  To be honest, I'm not even sure if screen name changes are allowed by TC's rules (and don't have the spoons to look it up right now).
Yep, lots of people have done it.  It's recommended that people have something in their profile sidebar or signature showing the old name so others can keep track - looking at what appears when you make a post, that'd be very easy:  just retain the sig pic Beachglass did for you for a while (possibly adding text to say "formerly known as").  Then , when you do replace it, unless you especially want something entirely new, you could get someone (Beachglass hasn't logged on in over a year, but you could try emailing/PMing her, or perhaps someone else could handle it) to put "Aster Breo" on the Battersea Shield background you use in place of "Moon Ivy".

So, if we're going to use names, I'd kinda like to use the one that feels right to me now.  But I don't want to make things difficult.
No difficulty from my POV, as the person who mainly handles shift-schedule stuff.  I can easily keep a text file showing what TC user name goes with what Cill member if they're different - and, come to think, it'd be no problem at all to have a list in the private board, so everyone who's in the Cill can easily check, but privacy from non-Cill members can be retained.

I'm glad you've found something that feels like it fits - I know it's been a source of discomfort for you that you didn't really have any name that felt truly yours.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)