The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 08, 2020, 01:40:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 08, 2020, 01:40:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Cill Projects?  (Read 16465 times)
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #15: November 05, 2010, 04:59:37 am »

I would really like to change my screen name here, but I know that would cause confusion, since I've been fairly active for a pretty decent length of time, now. 

Personally, I go by avatar more than screen name, so unless you changed your avatar at the same time I wouldn't get confused. And I'm glad that you've found a name you feel fits.

FWIW, I think it fits too. Smiley

First, is anyone interested in doing a Brighid's cross/brat exchange this year, like we did last year? 

Yes. I didn't participate in last year's because I joined the Cill too late, but I would love to do so this year...provided someone can re-direct me to the cross-making instructions. Cheesy

Second, I've been wondering if there might be any interest in developing a shared flamekeeping ritual that we could all use, if we wanted to.  I'm thinking about some sort of small ritual of accepting the flame from the keeper before us and then passing it on to the next keeper.  Nothing big -- just something that would tie us together a bit.

Yes, definitely. I think it would help me, personally, actually stay focused on my shifts, which has been a problem for me recently.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm
United States United States

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: November 05, 2010, 12:17:38 pm »

Yes. I didn't participate in last year's because I joined the Cill too late, but I would love to do so this year...provided someone can re-direct me to the cross-making instructions. Cheesy

Here's some! We've got a number of cross-making instructions lurking around somewhere, but since they are all exactly the same, it really doesn't make a difference how many we get.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Finn
High Adept Member

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: November 05, 2010, 12:19:38 pm »

I would really like to change my screen name here, but I know that would cause confusion, since I've been fairly active for a pretty decent length of time, now.  To be honest, I'm not even sure if screen name changes are allowed by TC's rules (and don't have the spoons to look it up right now).

So, if we're going to use names, I'd kinda like to use the one that feels right to me now.

I'm glad you found something that feels right to you. I'm like Morag in that I tend to use avatars rather than screennames, so it wouldn't be a big deal for me if you changed it.

And I agree with Sunflower: it may be a good idea to keep a list of preferred names of our Cill members in the private board so that we can refer to it as needed and still keep things private from the wider internets.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: November 05, 2010, 02:57:02 pm »

I'm glad you found something that feels right to you. I'm like Morag in that I tend to use avatars rather than screennames, so it wouldn't be a big deal for me if you changed it.

Thanks for the support, guys!  I really appreciate it!

I ran it past Randall and the rest of the staff, too, to make sure there wouldn't be a problem.  I can change my screen name, but my user name would actually stay the same, since those can't be changed.  And I'd definitely keep my avatar.  (I love it.  It's actually tattooed on my wrist.  Cheesy )  And keeping my sig pic is an excellent idea.  I'll do that too.

I think I'm going to wait a day or two, just to make sure this isn't a whim.  I'll probably change it over the weekend, though.  I'll post an announcement when I do.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #19: November 08, 2010, 04:53:42 am »

Here's some! We've got a number of cross-making instructions lurking around somewhere, but since they are all exactly the same, it really doesn't make a difference how many we get.

Thank you kindly! Smiley

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: November 11, 2010, 01:49:08 pm »

First, is anyone interested in doing a Brighid's cross/brat exchange this year, like we did last year? 

Definitely! If we broaden it to other Brighid-oriented crafts, I definitely have another idea of something I'd like to make.

Second, I've been wondering if there might be any interest in developing a shared flamekeeping ritual that we could all use, if we wanted to. 

That would be excellent. I know I would be most likely to use it consistently if it was simple. I like the suggestions so far of using Cillmates names.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

~
« Reply #21: November 11, 2010, 06:01:23 pm »

OK, it sounds like there's enough interest in these ideas to proceed.

I'll get something posted on each of them in the next couple of days.  (I'm in a bad headache place right now, so I can't be online more than a few minutes at a time.  But I'll get to it eventually.)

~ Aster

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: November 15, 2010, 10:52:19 am »

Hi, Cill-Mates!

Based on the response to this thread, I think there's enough interest in both a cross/brat exchange and a shared flame-tending ritual.

CROSS/BRAT EXCHANGE

For purely logistical reasons, I'd like to wait a few weeks before posting the initial announcement of the exchange.  Specifically, I want to wait until after November 30, which is the deadline for TC members to contact me about participating in the TC Winter Holiday Card Exchange.  I'd rather not have two exchanges active at the same time -- too easy for me to get confused.   Undecided  So, once I've closed the TC Card Exchange, I'll open the Cill Cross/Brat Exchange.

However, for those of us who will be participating in the cross/brat exchange, there's no reason you can't start thinking now about -- and working on -- the cross or brat you will be sending.  So you can start your planning, here's how the exchange will work:

Interested Cill members would PM or email me by the deadline (to be announced), to let me know you want to participate and give me your address.  (I promise to keep all contact info confidential.)  I'll take the names of all interested members and do a random name draw.  Then, I'll let you know who your "Secret Cill-Mate" is.  You choose either a Brighid's Cross, a Brighid's Brat, or both and make that for the person whose name you're assigned.  You'll need to be sure to ship it in time for your Secret Cill-Mate to receive by January 30.  (If it's a brat, they'll probably want to put it out for Imbolc Eve to get Brighid's blessing.)  In the package you send, you'll include a note that will reveal who you are.

Obviously, participation in this project is completely voluntary and will not effect your participation in the Cill at all. Also, it bears repeating that I will keep contact info completely private.

In early December, I will post an announcement in the Cill SIG indicating that the cross/brat exchange is open.  In that announcement, I will repeat the instructions given above, and I will indicate the deadline for telling me you want to participate (probably early January).

And, in the meantime, if you think you're going to participate, you can begin planning and making the cross/brat you'll send to your recipient.  You may send a cross OR a brat OR both.  You may use any materials you think are appropriate.  (F'ex, the materials for crosses are not limited to rushes or straw.)

Crosses may be any of the various styles of Brighid's cross.  For more on the different styles of crosses, check out this article.  You might also want to check out instructions for making the most common style; and one of *many* video demonstrations.(I really recommend watching this video.  I've been making Brighid's crosses for years, but I learned a little trick for finishing them neatly from this video.  Cheesy )

Brats do not have to be actual cloaks or mantles.   Cheesy  Some kind of representation is fine.

To give you some ideas, check out this thread, which includes pics and links to pics of some of the crosses and brats that were exchanged last year.

We did not set a spending limit last year, and probably won't this year, but everyone should recognize that this is not about money.  The cross/brat you create does not have to cost much -- or anything at all, if you have access to free materials! -- but should be made with love and respect for your Cill-mate.

SHARED FLAME-TENDING RITUAL

Most Cill members are probably aware of the "group epiphany" (for want of a better term) that has been happening over the last week or so.  It originated concurrently in a thread here in the Cill SIG (the Brighid of the Forge thread) and threads in the Hazel & Oak SIG (the Tuatha De Brighid Druidry, A Ritual for Brighid of the Stars, and Anvils threads, IIRC), and we've now moved the conversation over to the "Lady of the Stars" TCN group.  If you aren't already following this group, you might want to at least take a look.  Most Cill members will probably be interested.

One of the things we're working on as a group is a shared ritual, scheduled for Nov. 20/21.  This ritual is intended to help us reach out to Brighid, to make sure She is the one who is calling us, and to start figuring out what kind of work She is calling us to do.

Given the plans for this upcoming group ritual, I'd like to suggest that we -- the Cill -- hold off on drafting a shared flame-tending ritual until after the "Lady of the Stars" group ritual.  I think we might learn some things that will help us craft a better flame-tending ritual.  Also, I suspect the same people will want to be involved in writing both rituals, and I don't want them to feel they are spread too thin.

So, unless someone posts here to say they really need that shared flame-tending ritual ASAP  Wink , I'll plan to start a new ritual-drafting thread after Nov. 22.

Thanks for your patience!

~ Aster

Finn
High Adept Member

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: December 12, 2010, 07:08:22 pm »

CROSS/BRAT EXCHANGE

Hey, Cill-mates!

I'm bumping this thread to remind you guys that we decided that there was a lot of interest in doing another cross/brat exchange this year for Imbolc!

A deadline to PM or email your address will be announced as soon as possible.

I know that with all of the holiday craziness, people will probably like as much notice as we can give in order to start crafting and putting together their brat or cross.

SHARED FLAME-TENDING RITUAL

I also want to remind everyone that there was a lot of interest in crafting a shared ritual together to use during our Flamekeeping shifts. Again, there have been a ton of things happening to a lot of members of the Cill, and of course the holidays; I just wanted to make sure that this didn't get lost in the shuffle.   Wink

SunflowerP
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:August 04, 2020, 12:00:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: March 07, 2011, 04:25:18 pm »

That's my sticking-point - I know perfectly well that I can write beautiful ritual, because I've written many many rituals and a significant portion of them were beautiful.  But without the impetus of needing constructed ritual, I can't even write an ugly one.  I've been using the same shift-starting liturgy since the Cill formed, and it fills my need for Cill-related ritual very well - not that I can't add a bit more, just that I don't have need.

That said, Darashand does provide a good start.  I really love the phrase, "from hearth to heart"!  I also like Folksymama's suggestion of using names rather than "cillmate" or "sister/brother" or "cill sibling"; it both sidesteps the gender issue (and there may well be Cill members who don't have a binary gender identity [I don't, though I'm fine with feminine pronouns and terms like "sister"] so that's not insignificant), and makes it more personal so that (IMO) it does more to develop connections in the Cill.

In light of that, my tweaks to Darashand's proposals:
"From hearth to heart, I accept the flame from [name(s)].  Let the flame continue to burn here with me."
"From hearth to heart, I pass the flame to [name(s)].  Let the flame continue to burn with Brigid's blessings."
  (I thought about making that "in Brigid's name", but I've long held the hypothesis that Brigid herself covers shifts for those who can't, so "blessings" seems to fit better.)

In the early days of the Cill, several people chose to use their actual names rather than their TC user names for Cill purposes - the evidence of that is still in the roster.  It turned out that, for roster purposes, that could get confusing if we didn't know them well (figuring out what screen name to send a check-in email to, f'ex), so for quite some time now I've been adding new Cill members to the roster under their TC user names and not even asking if they preferred a different one for Cill purposes.  But the basic principle of going by a name to which one has a definite connection, rather than one that might have been chosen in haste or just for fun (as screen names sometimes are), makes a lot of sense in context of the Cill - connection-building, again - so it might be a good idea to go back to that.  (On the admin end, the confusion can be easily eliminated just by keeping good notes!)
This project came up again in the Shift Schedule thread, so I'm bumping it up - I've chosen to quote my own earlier post, because it's an okay summary of what we came up with, but I recommend a quick review of this whole thread to refresh memories (lots of it isn't directly relevant, so you'll likely want to just skim).

I'd like to see as many Cill members as possible putting their two cents in - like almost everything in the Cill (other than the basic commitment of keeping the Flame on our shift), using a shared ritual would be voluntary, but because part of the idea is to help enhance our sense of being a group, I'd like to make sure what we come up with is something that as many as possible of us like and want to use.  So I'd particularly like to see those who are lukewarm on the idea of a shared ritual coming in with feedback on why they're lukewarm about it and what might make it more resonant for them.

With what Darashand, Folksymama, and I came up with, we already have a viable simple liturgy (bolded) for starting/ending our shifts.  What do people think?  Are there further tweaks to the wording that you'd like to suggest?  Would you prefer different wording?  Is a simple one-sentence acknowledgement of the passing of the flame from shift to shift sufficient, or would you like more substance?

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

« Reply #25: March 07, 2011, 05:21:45 pm »

I like the shortness and simplicity, and I think the wording is perfect!

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: March 07, 2011, 11:28:08 pm »

Honestly, I think it's fine as it is.  I'm thinking maybe add some type of activity or some unique symbol to the group as an act of solidarity within us.  I don't want to make it too complicated, maybe something like wearing something red or lighting a red candle--even placing a red stone on your altar (Cill area) to keep within the theme. 

Just a thought...feel free to ignore. :p

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: March 07, 2011, 11:32:37 pm »

Honestly, I think it's fine as it is.  I'm thinking maybe add some type of activity or some unique symbol to the group as an act of solidarity within us.  I don't want to make it too complicated, maybe something like wearing something red or lighting a red candle--even placing a red stone on your altar (Cill area) to keep within the theme. 

Just a thought...feel free to ignore. :p

I wonder if someone would be willing to translate our phrases into Irish?  Cheesy

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
Fauna
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 21, 2011, 09:07:42 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan with a sprinkle of cocoa

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: March 10, 2011, 06:12:40 am »

I'd like to see as many Cill members as possible putting their two cents in - like almost everything in the Cill (other than the basic commitment of keeping the Flame on our shift), using a shared ritual would be voluntary, but because part of the idea is to help enhance our sense of being a group, I'd like to make sure what we come up with is something that as many as possible of us like and want to use.  So I'd particularly like to see those who are lukewarm on the idea of a shared ritual coming in with feedback on why they're lukewarm about it and what might make it more resonant for them.

Sunflower

I like the simplicity of it. That being said, it would be nice to have a longer version too. It would be nice to have the choice between the shorter, more succinct version and a longer one with more substance. Then with the longer version, we could work in Darashand's idea of a symbol or activity. Smiley I really like the idea of having a symbol of the Cill itself somewhere in the ritual.

kellyann
Senior Newbie
Last Login:February 02, 2015, 06:18:07 am

Religion: In search of my path.

nosce te ipsum

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #29: March 11, 2011, 07:25:41 pm »

I wonder if someone would be willing to translate our phrases into Irish?  Cheesy

I am currently studying Irish and would be happy to give it a shot once we know the wording.  I personally like the idea of lighting a certain colored candle.  As for a symbol that may be a challenge as each of us my have our own symbol or image for Brighid.  I personally associate her with the triquetra. 

Another idea would be to decide what 3 colors we associate with Brighid as a group and we can create jewelry with those colors and either exchange or follow the same pattern.   I love the bracelet that Aster Breo made with 3 separate strands that connect into one bracelet.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)