The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 13, 2020, 07:48:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 13, 2020, 07:48:20 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Cill Projects?  (Read 16471 times)
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #30: March 12, 2011, 12:51:07 am »

As for a symbol that may be a challenge as each of us my have our own symbol or image for Brighid.  I personally associate her with the triquetra.

I also associate the triquetra with Brighid, along with several other symbols (e.g., suns, flames and water drops, spirals, stars,etc.).  But we have a simple solution to the question of a shared symbol:  Brighid's Cross!   Cheesy

Are there Cill members who do NOT associate the Brighid's Cross design with Brighid?  If so, I'd be really curious about why. 

~ Aster

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: March 12, 2011, 01:42:45 am »

Another idea would be to decide what 3 colors we associate with Brighid as a group and we can create jewelry with those colors and either exchange or follow the same pattern.   I love the bracelet that Aster Breo made with 3 separate strands that connect into one bracelet.

Personally, I associate Brighid with red, green, and blue.  Maybe we could weave a cross out of these colors. 

More on this later. Gotta run.

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #32: March 12, 2011, 01:17:45 pm »

With what Darashand, Folksymama, and I came up with, we already have a viable simple liturgy (bolded) for starting/ending our shifts.  What do people think?  Are there further tweaks to the wording that you'd like to suggest?  Would you prefer different wording?  Is a simple one-sentence acknowledgement of the passing of the flame from shift to shift sufficient, or would you like more substance?

I think that wording is fine... I prefer simple things myself.

However, if we're passing the flame at sundown, do we do this at our sundown? The sundown of the person taking the flame? I don't want to get too anally logistical (isn't THAT an interesting turn of phrase), but it's something to throw out there.

Personally, I'd do it at the beginning and end of my shift, correlating with my sun. That does mean that there'd probably be a gap with anyone who was taking over from another time zone. But I feel like liturgy is more for me to use for my own mental space and less of an actual physical passing of a flame. Others may feel differently.

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

« Reply #33: March 12, 2011, 01:21:29 pm »

Personally, I'd do it at the beginning and end of my shift, correlating with my sun. That does mean that there'd probably be a gap with anyone who was taking over from another time zone. But I feel like liturgy is more for me to use for my own mental space and less of an actual physical passing of a flame. Others may feel differently.

That's the approach we've always used for shifts- I don't see why it would change with an addition of a ritual. I think there's some shared UPG that Brighid helps us with the gaps. Smiley

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
SunflowerP
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:August 04, 2020, 12:00:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #34: March 13, 2011, 08:19:54 am »

That's the approach we've always used for shifts- I don't see why it would change with an addition of a ritual. I think there's some shared UPG that Brighid helps us with the gaps. Smiley
<still more nodnod>  I was assuming the beginning and end (there's a sentence for each) of our own shifts, correlating with the sun as it appears for the Flamekeeper keeping that shift.  It's my UPG originally, I think, about Brigid covering gaps (I sort of see it as "ironing out wrinkles", I suppose because of Brigid's domestic associations); I didn't realize it was shared but it's very cool if it is.

Probably the color I most associate with Brigid is yellow.  (And once I get my procrastinating, or perennially spoon-challenged, backside to the post office, two of you - this year's and last year's Embarrassed exchange recipients - will shortly have Brigid's crosses incorporating that color, and of a material more suited to permanent use than to annual discard, to use for the purpose.  Once it got to be too late to be sure they'd get to their destinations by Brigidfeast, I decided it'd be better for them to be on my ritual altar than in transit on the day... and then I didn't have enough spoons at the same time I had the necessary time/privacy until a week and a half ago, so it wasn't so much Brigidfeast as "feast of returning light".)

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #35: March 13, 2011, 11:45:58 am »

Probably the color I most associate with Brigid is yellow. 

It's interesting how different people associate different colors with Brighid.  My strongest color association with Her is blue -- the blue of water seen at a distance, the blue of the center of a flame.  After that, I associate green with Her -- I think because Her mantle.  I love the story of how She laid down Her mantle and created the green earth. 

(That story, "The Earth Shapers," is from Celtic Wonder Tales, by Ella Young, 1910.  I know there s very little in the extant mythology to support this story, and that it was written in the "Romantic" period.  But, in spite of these caveats, I just love the story.   Cheesy )

And, of course, all the fiery colors are Brighid's, too.

And, on the couple of occasions that She has met me in a human form during pathworking, She has worn a dress of shades of bright pink.  Shocked

~ Aster

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
darashand
Adept Member

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: March 13, 2011, 02:39:45 pm »

It's interesting how different people associate different colors with Brighid.

We could always go with Rainbow. Plus, we would have the symbolism of both water (rain) and fire (sun)

Now...to find a rainbow candle....Smiley

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #37: March 13, 2011, 02:55:16 pm »

We could always go with Rainbow. Plus, we would have the symbolism of both water (rain) and fire (sun)

I've associated a rainbow with Brighid for a long time - all the colors just seem right for her. I even have a rainbow string of beads draped around her candle on my shrine.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #38: March 14, 2011, 12:55:48 am »

My strongest color association with Her is blue -- the blue of water seen at a distance, the blue of the center of a flame.  After that, I associate green with Her -- I think because Her mantle.  I love the story of how She laid down Her mantle and created the green earth. 

And, of course, all the fiery colors are Brighid's, too.

*nod* Blue, green, gold, and white are the main colors I associate with her. But fiery colors are hers too.

And I still laugh every time I think of Brighid in a bright pink-bordering-on-Pepto-Bismal dress.  Tongue

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #39: March 15, 2011, 02:00:05 am »

*nod* Blue, green, gold, and white are the main colors I associate with her. But fiery colors are hers too.

And I still laugh every time I think of Brighid in a bright pink-bordering-on-Pepto-Bismal dress.  Tongue

With a matching pointy hat and sheer veil thing, like a child's idea of a "medieval" princess dress. 

Can't forget the pointy, pink hat!   Cheesy

Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #40: March 19, 2011, 08:54:37 am »

With what Darashand, Folksymama, and I came up with, we already have a viable simple liturgy (bolded) for starting/ending our shifts.  What do people think?  Are there further tweaks to the wording that you'd like to suggest?  Would you prefer different wording? 

I like the wording and the simplicity - I could definitely see myself using it.

dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #41: March 23, 2011, 07:35:41 pm »

They do make rainbow glass-pillar "7 day" candles. I've seen them at my local pagan shop. I usually associate red with Herself, because of the flame aspect. Yellow to me is more of a sunlight color.

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List
darashand
Adept Member

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #42: March 24, 2011, 12:05:23 am »

They do make rainbow glass-pillar "7 day" candles. I've seen them at my local pagan shop. I usually associate red with Herself, because of the flame aspect. Yellow to me is more of a sunlight color.

Karen

I agree with the red being as Her association with fire, but also healing.

JuniperMorgan
Apprentice
Last Login:July 19, 2011, 12:34:17 am

Religion: pagan
TCN ID: 48146-1331

Blog entries (0)

cagalloway Junipermorgan

Ignore
« Reply #43: March 28, 2011, 10:52:57 pm »

I agree with the red being as Her association with fire, but also healing.

I'm new to all this and eager to join in...could someone please give me a synopsis of what ritual work you use?  I've nothing to comment on just yet as I'd like to familiarize myself with what's going on first.  Smiley

JuniperMorgan

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)