The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 30, 2020, 08:56:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 30, 2020, 08:56:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Incorporating local traditions?  (Read 620 times)
Cliona
Journeyman
Last Login:July 22, 2011, 11:55:35 am
United States United States

Religion: ADF, UU

not quite an eagle, but not quite a goose

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: November 02, 2010, 02:09:29 am »

Not sure how to go about asking this, as the idea is fairly...um...wordless at the moment. I know exactly what I want to know, but now how to ask it or phrase it properly.

As one whose path is largely ADF, I worship the three Kindreds - Ancestors, Nature Spirits, and the Deities. The Indo-European focus of ADF fits well as I mainly work with Celtic Deities (mostly Irish) and my patron is Manannan Mac Lir.

When I begin to focus on the local Nature Spirits, however, I feel like I am meeting a little resistance in places, from particular spirits.* What I'm feeling from them is they are welcoming of my worship but unfamiliar with my Celtic-based method of approaching them. They have long been honored by local tradition/religion, and bringing this "foreign" form of worship to their doorstep seems a bit of an affront.

My question would be, then, would it be appropriate to incorporate local traditions and methods of worship into my ADF worship, to truly honor the local Nature Spirits as they (seem to) wish? I live in Minnesota, between the Mississippi and the St. Croix Rivers, and it's these two beings that have me so puzzled. I felt compelled once to apologize to the Mississippi for how what we've done to it, how we've all but destroyed it, especially after I saw how clean and pure it starts at Lake Itasca and knowing what it becomes by the time it empties into the Gulf. The spirit of the Mississippi answered, which surprised me to no end, as it was my first contact with a local spirit, and even predates my first contact with Manannan. I grew up along the St. Croix, across the street from its shore, and love it for my home and it embraces me because it has fostered me. I love these two rivers dearly, and they are willing and accepting and welcoming, but when I try to worship them from a Celtic perspective, I receive a kind of, "Hey, wait, we have our own histories." Would learning about these entities (I call them spirits because I have no other word for them, really) and the native lore, religion, and practice be a kind of "slap to the face" to my ADF practice, which is based all the way across the ocean?

And if I do incorporate any local traditions into my practice and worship...how would I go about learning? I know Minnesota is rich in Native American history but I don't know where to begin looking. Also, should I keep the practices entirely separate of one another? Is it feasible to properly respect and honor local tradition while the rest of my religious practice is based around another country?

I'm not sure if I asked this properly so that it makes sense. When things get sticky in my head, it's difficult for me to express them with clear understanding, mostly because I do not understand it myself.

I also feel I should mention that Manannan, who has acted as a bit of a guide on my path, has kept the option of learning about local traditions open, which is different than His stance on incorporating other Indo-European Deities. For the latter, He's asking me to be patient, to focus on the Celtic God/esses and get to know Them before exploring the Norse, the Greek, the Roman, and so on. But for the local spirits, I get from Him a sort of understanding that some things have deep, native roots and that I need to learn about the land on which I actually live, its history and stories. What He has been silent about is whether the two are compatible in any way. This seems to be something I need to figure out for myself.

Also, is it possible I'm entirely misinterpreting something?

* This place is not devoid of Nature Spirits that are not so sensitive, and are even from across the pond. I know the Fair Folk are here, I believe they came and settled the Americas (and the rest of the world) as human populations traveled and mingled. I'm specifically speaking about two beings that have been here for a very, very long time, who were born here and did not travel.

I will follow you into the deep, as a young bird has to learn to fly
- Whale Rider, Edenbridge

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

gorm_sionnach
Journeyman
Last Login:January 14, 2011, 11:19:41 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Fálachus, Gaelic Reconstructionist Polytheist

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: November 02, 2010, 06:32:31 am »

Not sure how to go about asking this, as the idea is fairly...um...wordless at the moment. I know exactly what I want to know, but now how to ask it or phrase it properly.

As one whose path is largely ADF, I worship the three Kindreds - Ancestors, Nature Spirits, and the Deities. The Indo-European focus of ADF fits well as I mainly work with Celtic Deities (mostly Irish) and my patron is Manannan Mac Lir.

When I begin to focus on the local Nature Spirits, however, I feel like I am meeting a little resistance in places, from particular spirits.* What I'm feeling from them is they are welcoming of my worship but unfamiliar with my Celtic-based method of approaching them. They have long been honored by local tradition/religion, and bringing this "foreign" form of worship to their doorstep seems a bit of an affront.

My question would be, then, would it be appropriate to incorporate local traditions and methods of worship into my ADF worship, to truly honor the local Nature Spirits as they (seem to) wish? I live in Minnesota, between the Mississippi and the St. Croix Rivers, and it's these two beings that have me so puzzled. I felt compelled once to apologize to the Mississippi for how what we've done to it, how we've all but destroyed it, especially after I saw how clean and pure it starts at Lake Itasca and knowing what it becomes by the time it empties into the Gulf. The spirit of the Mississippi answered, which surprised me to no end, as it was my first contact with a local spirit, and even predates my first contact with Manannan. I grew up along the St. Croix, across the street from its shore, and love it for my home and it embraces me because it has fostered me. I love these two rivers dearly, and they are willing and accepting and welcoming, but when I try to worship them from a Celtic perspective, I receive a kind of, "Hey, wait, we have our own histories." Would learning about these entities (I call them spirits because I have no other word for them, really) and the native lore, religion, and practice be a kind of "slap to the face" to my ADF practice, which is based all the way across the ocean?

And if I do incorporate any local traditions into my practice and worship...how would I go about learning? I know Minnesota is rich in Native American history but I don't know where to begin looking. Also, should I keep the practices entirely separate of one another? Is it feasible to properly respect and honor local tradition while the rest of my religious practice is based around another country?

I'm not sure if I asked this properly so that it makes sense. When things get sticky in my head, it's difficult for me to express them with clear understanding, mostly because I do not understand it myself.

I also feel I should mention that Manannan, who has acted as a bit of a guide on my path, has kept the option of learning about local traditions open, which is different than His stance on incorporating other Indo-European Deities. For the latter, He's asking me to be patient, to focus on the Celtic God/esses and get to know Them before exploring the Norse, the Greek, the Roman, and so on. But for the local spirits, I get from Him a sort of understanding that some things have deep, native roots and that I need to learn about the land on which I actually live, its history and stories. What He has been silent about is whether the two are compatible in any way. This seems to be something I need to figure out for myself.

Also, is it possible I'm entirely misinterpreting something?

* This place is not devoid of Nature Spirits that are not so sensitive, and are even from across the pond. I know the Fair Folk are here, I believe they came and settled the Americas (and the rest of the world) as human populations traveled and mingled. I'm specifically speaking about two beings that have been here for a very, very long time, who were born here and did not travel.

I would suggest having a gander at KILLYOUANDEATYOU by Raven nic Rhóisín and Kathryn Price NicDhàna, as the article was essentially written to address this issue.

Due civility never broke a mans head, and great is the pity to be at any time without it.

Have a gander at my blog: Three Shouts on a Hilltop

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)