The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 02, 2021, 06:05:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 02, 2021, 06:05:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Hades and Hera  (Read 4849 times)
Nimbus91
Apprentice
Last Login:October 04, 2012, 03:07:39 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Wiccan with Heavy Hellenic Leanings

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: November 04, 2010, 03:12:51 pm »

So recently I've been leaning towards Hades as my Patron God, and Hera as my Patron Goddess. Hera has incredibly similar views on marriage as I do, and Hades is misunderstood just as I am sometimes. They seems utterly perfect for me. So I have a couple of questions. One is: How do you go about approaching a potential Patron? Another is: What kinds of things would be good for an altar to Hades? I already have a good idea for Hera. And Last is: Has anyone worked with, or is currently working with these two or one of them? And what advice can you give me?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #1: November 04, 2010, 03:25:05 pm »

So recently I've been leaning towards Hades as my Patron God, and Hera as my Patron Goddess. Hera has incredibly similar views on marriage as I do, and Hades is misunderstood just as I am sometimes. They seems utterly perfect for me. So I have a couple of questions. One is: How do you go about approaching a potential Patron? Another is: What kinds of things would be good for an altar to Hades? I already have a good idea for Hera. And Last is: Has anyone worked with, or is currently working with these two or one of them? And what advice can you give me?

I've worked a bit with Hera. The biggest thing to keep in mind when approaching deities (particularly those that get misunderstood by popular culture) is not to let preconceived notions get in the way. There is a warm, motherly side to Hera that in my experience can rival that of Demeter's, and Hades has a humorous streak to him.

Do you have a relationship with either of their deities yet? If not, I would suggest crawling before you walk. The same way you might have a crush on an acquaintance and you wouldn't ask to move in with them before you even go on a date, you have to get to know deities first before being able to tell if a patron relationship is going to work for you. (Unless they come right out and claim you, but that still involves building a relationship).

Can I ask why you want patron deities?

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Nimue
Master Member
Last Login:May 09, 2011, 10:31:43 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: November 04, 2010, 04:35:59 pm »

For a Hades altar, oddly enough money or gems would be an appropriate symbol since his kingdom is underground, where gems come from.  Other than that, death symbols would work, like bones, ashes, or a piece of driftwood.  I had a wand made out of the bone of some bird that I found worked very well.

I have worked with both of them, Hera directly and Hades indirectly through Persephone.  Hera is for me rather easy going in regards to rituals and offerings, but if you want a favor, she expects decent compensation (though she understands financial matters).  Also, never forget that she is the queen.  But with her more so than other Olympians, you have to be very careful if you work with others besides her as she is tends to be very picky with who she is around.  I suggest avoiding anyone who Zeus has had a relationship with (though she is fine with Demeter), and sometimes she is iffy on his children (but I have never had a problem with her and Hermes or Persephone together).  Then there are others that she does not like depending on the day.  Some days she gets along great with Aphrodite, others, not so much.  Same with Zeus.  She is a great deity to work with, she just tends to have more particular moods than other deities.

Hope this helps  Smiley
fiamma
Master Member
Last Login:May 17, 2012, 04:14:28 pm

Religion: Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

...I'm playing with fire and not getting burned...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: November 04, 2010, 06:51:01 pm »

It sounds to me like spending some time getting to know them is in order before jumping into anything. Only having what you have written to go on, it sounds like rather superficial reasons for picking patron gods- they're perfectly good starts for developing interest, sure, but that alone isn't going to give you a deeper relationship with them. Keep in mind that it's entirely possible that as you get to know them, you will find that they turn out to not be the patrons that you had wanted (or they may still be. Eventually, you'll figure that out.)

Additionally, I'm a little curious as to how this works into the religious label that you've given yourself there as ecclectic Wicca with a bit of Celtic and Norse?

Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)