The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 05, 2020, 10:58:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 05, 2020, 10:58:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What do you read over and over?  (Read 18361 times)
sashapablo
Board Staff
Staff
Master Member
Last Login:January 19, 2012, 05:37:09 pm
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic polytheist

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: June 08, 2007, 04:56:50 pm »

Are there books that you love to read again and again? Ones that you will pick up after a few years and rediscover a great story?

For me, I have two books that I reread every so often. They are Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier and Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.

How about you?

Sasha

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: June 08, 2007, 05:04:16 pm »

Are there books that you love to read again and again? Ones that you will pick up after a few years and rediscover a great story?

For me, I have two books that I reread every so often. They are Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier and Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.

How about you?

Sasha

Cyteen, by C.J. Cherryjh (I'm sure I misspelled that).

and a new favorite, but one I'm sure I'm going to be returning to .. and have already once or twice .. The Curse of Chalion, by Lois McMaster Bujold.  and the rest of that series, too, but the first one just *really* gets me.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 08, 2007, 05:43:14 pm »

Are there books that you love to read again and again?

I obsess over various local plant field guides and books on natural architecture (go back to them at least a few times a month).  Otherwise, there isn't much fiction I like enough to re-read.  When I'm having a bad day, I like to pick up Mark Leyner's My Cousin, My Gastroenterologist and read a couple of chapters for a giggle.  My well-thumbed copy of Donald Barthelme's City Life serves much the same purpose.

I re-read Mark Helprin's books when I need a dose of poetry.  Especially Winter's Tale.

And speaking of poetry, my beloved copy of Philp Larkin's Collected Poems is always hanging around, unshelved, with lots of bent page corners. 

Brina
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 05:57:00 pm by yewberry, Reason: Correct formatting » Logged
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: June 08, 2007, 05:45:12 pm »

I guess I'm weird, but there are literally hundreds of books I read over and over. Not sure what it is about me, but it's more likely a book will end up in my "read again" pile rather than not. Maybe I'm not picky? I dunno. And it seems to cross over all genres so I can't even say I'm limited there.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: June 08, 2007, 05:48:06 pm »

When I was younger I read books by R.L. Stine over and over again.  Today, I rarely read a book more than once because I normally pick up a new book from the bookstore when there is nothing else new to read.  The one exception is the Harry Potter books which I'm rereading now in anticipation of the final book.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Mari
Adept Member
Last Login:October 10, 2010, 03:39:46 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 08, 2007, 06:10:04 pm »

\

I reread Rosamunde Pilcher's The Shell Seeker's every March.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 07:33:31 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: June 08, 2007, 06:51:12 pm »

I guess I'm weird, but there are literally hundreds of books I read over and over. Not sure what it is about me, but it's more likely a book will end up in my "read again" pile rather than not. Maybe I'm not picky? I dunno. And it seems to cross over all genres so I can't even say I'm limited there.
Move over, Lyric, you don't have the Weird Bench to yourself.  I even reread mysteries - a good mystery novel should not only present a well-crafted puzzle, but provide plot and characters and theme of sufficient depth and interest that they don't need the puzzle to hold them up.

Rereading, for me, is about revisiting old friends.  From a more practical and mechanistic POV, I think it's a side effect of being a very fast reader.  As a kid, I was forever running out of things to read; I had to learn to appreciate rereading, and to try out new genres and fields of knowledge, or else, dread prospect, not have reading material <faints dead away at the thought>.

I am, however, quite picky, so much so that not-hubby stopped sticking books under my nose for a while, for fear of my possible disdain (hmm, another bad-sign-I-missed - I disdain substandard books, not him; if reading things that don't grab me gives him pleasure, I'm happy he's pleased).  I guess I just pre-screen well.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Elspeth Sapphire
Co-Host
Senior Staff
Journeyman
Last Login:July 16, 2008, 10:44:04 pm

Religion: Pagan

Passed Over -- 19 April 2010

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: June 08, 2007, 07:22:32 pm »

I'm with you on this one, Lyric Fox.  I have enough books to man a library... in part because I can't give them up. ::grin::

Elspeth Sapphire
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 09, 2020, 05:56:40 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: June 08, 2007, 07:34:35 pm »

I guess I'm weird, but there are literally hundreds of books I read over and over.

Same here, I reread books I like over and over again. There are a few books I've read almost every year since I was able to read well. Here's a list of a few of those: Mysterious Island, E.E. "Doc" Smith's Lensman series, LOTR, Sherlock Holmes. Others I've grown to love later in life: the Judge Dee stories, the Amelia Peabody stories (especially the first few), The Adept series, and far too many more to name.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: June 08, 2007, 07:36:12 pm »

oh, geeze, I only included the ones I RELISH reading and look forward to and the like.

I've re-read most books that I've read and enjoyed at least once, and frequently more. Cheesy

though I've gotten WAY pickier over the years.  I'm doing some market research right now on some books ... and GODS I just want to scream!

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #10: June 08, 2007, 09:22:21 pm »

I reread lots of books - it's the only way to for my (fast) reading speed to keep up with my desire to read. I've got a habit of when a new series book, I reread any immediate relatives (earlier parts of a trilogy, etc.) before I read the new one. I read the new one once for what happens and character development, and sheer joy of reading, then again for a more nuanced appreciation of how it worked. And then I go back and reread the whole series to that point.

There are a few books I reread regularly.

_Tam Lin_ by Pamela Dean.
_So you want to be a Wizard_ by Diana Duane. (Or, more specifically, the second in that series.)
_Bell, Book, and Candle_ by Rosemary Edgehill. (Generally when I need a break from frustrations in the Pagan community: she does a lovely job of poking at some common personality types.)
Laurie King's Russell books. (I'll reread her other stuff, too.)
Lois McMaster Bujold, pretty much anything, but particularly _Memory_, _A Civil Campaign_, and _Curse of Chalion_
Emma Bull's _War for the Oaks_

And various children's comfort reading - Noel Streatfield, Enid Blyton, the Chalet School Books, L.M. Montgomery, etc. (The middle two may not be so familiar to US folks: they're UK authors, and my father would always bring me back a couple more titles whenever he came back from visiting, which he did once or twice a year.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
loneash
Master Member
Last Login:June 12, 2010, 12:58:45 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: June 08, 2007, 09:26:56 pm »

How about you?

Sasha

That is an easy one---Tolkien and Terry Pratchet.   Both relax me.
Rain
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 07, 2008, 12:31:39 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Panentheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: June 08, 2007, 10:24:24 pm »

Are there books that you love to read again and again?

I re-read books by Sue Monk Kidd, Phyllis Curott, and Marion Zimmer Bradley.  I've also re-read Lucky by Alice Sebold a few times, and will probably re-read Memoirs of a Geisha.  I tend to re-read bits of Pagan books such as The Witches' Bible Compleat by the Farrars.

Elspeth Sapphire
Co-Host
Senior Staff
Journeyman
Last Login:July 16, 2008, 10:44:04 pm

Religion: Pagan

Passed Over -- 19 April 2010

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: June 09, 2007, 03:29:20 am »

nd various children's comfort reading - Noel Streatfield, Enid Blyton, the Chalet School Books, L.M. Montgomery, etc. .)

I thought it was only me that re-read children's tales!  I love Noel Streatfield's books and  I have to read the Little House books once a year....

Elspeth Sapphire
sefiru
Master Member
Last Login:April 11, 2016, 07:41:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: June 09, 2007, 06:27:28 am »

There are a few books I reread regularly.

_Tam Lin_ by Pamela Dean.
_So you want to be a Wizard_ by Diana Duane. (Or, more specifically, the second in that series.)
_Bell, Book, and Candle_ by Rosemary Edgehill. (Generally when I need a break from frustrations in the Pagan community: she does a lovely job of poking at some common personality types.)
Laurie King's Russell books. (I'll reread her other stuff, too.)
Lois McMaster Bujold, pretty much anything, but particularly _Memory_, _A Civil Campaign_, and _Curse of Chalion_
Emma Bull's _War for the Oaks_

And various children's comfort reading - Noel Streatfield, Enid Blyton, the Chalet School Books, L.M. Montgomery, etc. (The middle two may not be so familiar to US folks: they're UK authors, and my father would always bring me back a couple more titles whenever he came back from visiting, which he did once or twice a year.)

Second on the Bujold books -- the woman's a genius. I generally only buy books that I'll want to read over and over again. This generally includes books by Mercedes Lackey, David Weber, and formerly David Eddings until I got royally tired of his writing style. I also have a few singletons: _Captains Outrageous_ by Roy V Young (which apparently flopped, but it was clever), _The Power of One_ by Bryce Courtenay and a few others.

I also read children's books for a quick diversion -- my favorites are the (original) Boxcar Children books by Gertrude Chandler Warner. Not, note, the later dreck published under the same series name. Or things like The Littles, or The Berenstein Bears, or Bill Peet, Dr. Seuss and Robert Munsch. And I am still trying toi find copies of the Silver Brumby books I used to devour in school ...

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)