The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 28, 2020, 04:12:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 28, 2020, 04:12:19 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What do you read over and over?  (Read 26615 times)
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm
United States United States

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: June 09, 2007, 08:28:29 am »

Are there books that you love to read again and again? Ones that you will pick up after a few years and rediscover a great story?

For me, I have two books that I reread every so often. They are Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier and Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.

How about you?

Sasha

I've read lots of books several times, but the book that i have reread the most is

Alas Babylon, by Pat Frank.

I can't explain it, but it is my altime favorite book.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #16: June 09, 2007, 08:45:49 am »

Are there books that you love to read again and again? Ones that you will pick up after a few years and rediscover a great story?

For me, I have two books that I reread every so often. They are Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier and Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.

How about you?

Sasha

Hmmm.

Fiction:

Oathbound, Oathbreaker, Oathblood, and By the Sword by Mercedes Lackey.
X-Men: Soul Killer by Richard Lee Byers
NightWorld Series by L J Smith (and others of her work)

NonFiction:

Finding Soul on the Path of Orisa: A West African Spiritual Tradition: by Tobe Melora Correal

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: June 09, 2007, 08:52:10 am »

Rarely, but I do occasionally re-read Lord of the Rings.  I've read the Amber Chronicles several times (the first 5 - the second five I read once, and dont really intend to read again).  I *love* Amber.

I've read most of the Harry Potter books twice, some of them more.  It may be time to start working through the series again...but may have to wait til after the next book is out.  Hmm.

I've read William Gibson's works several times, and probably will do so again.  Neuromancer remains one of my favourites.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: June 09, 2007, 09:51:00 am »

I reread all of the books I own--I usually don't buy books unless I know I'm going to reread it. That's how I judge how good it is--by how many times I can reread it and still find it fresh and entertaining. Of course, the problem is that I read so much, and go to the library so much and find so many good books that need to be in my library, I tend not have as much money as I'd like.  Cheesy

I reread LotR once a year, every year because it's still my favourite book after all this time.  I also reread Terry Pratchett because I love finding new things I missed the first time.  My favourite Pratchett is Night Watch, so I've read that one at least twice.

But a few other other books I find myself coming back to every now and again are Watership Down, the Harry Potters, and The Neverending Story.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Mari
Adept Member
Last Login:October 10, 2010, 03:39:46 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: June 09, 2007, 01:19:18 pm »

I thought it was only me that re-read children's tales!

Not at all. In fact, I've not only been reading children's stories, but I've gotten a growing collection. I freaked my 16-year-old out the other day by telling him I'd be a grandmother some day. LOL
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: June 09, 2007, 05:40:25 pm »

Not at all. In fact, I've not only been reading children's stories, but I've gotten a growing collection. I freaked my 16-year-old out the other day by telling him I'd be a grandmother some day. LOL

I had told Randall I had an old hard back copy of Stories That Never Grow Old. I don't know who was more excited...him because I had it or me because I remembered having it. LOL

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Mari
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: June 09, 2007, 06:00:42 pm »

I had told Randall I had an old hard back copy of Stories That Never Grow Old. I don't know who was more excited...him because I had it or me because I remembered having it. LOL

Oh that's sweet!!
phoukamare
Master Member
Last Login:May 12, 2009, 10:56:35 pm

Religion: Irish pantheon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: June 10, 2007, 12:36:15 am »

I guess I'm weird, but there are literally hundreds of books I read over and over. Not sure what it is about me, but it's more likely a book will end up in my "read again" pile rather than not. Maybe I'm not picky? I dunno. And it seems to cross over all genres so I can't even say I'm limited there.

I'm with you Lyric. My entire core library (literally hundreds of books) are re-read constantly. And as my entire library is STILL in AZ, the library is my friend. I order my old favorites (if they have them) to visit again and again. I've even gotten a couple of the librarians to read some of them.

I should have my library here in SC soon. I've got a fairly large IRS check coming from a previous year that I didn't file for. It should be here in about 3 weeks and once it's cleared, off it goes to my friend in AZ to send my books to me.

I've replaced some of my core library 3 or 4 times over the years because I wore out the paperbacks.

Phouka
Arrow
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:November 26, 2009, 07:38:44 pm

Religion: eclectic shamanic animism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: June 10, 2007, 12:54:21 am »

I guess I'm weird, but there are literally hundreds of books I read over and over.

Add me to the "weird" company then. At times I prefer to pick up something familiar, since it's (theoretically) easier to put down again when it's time to go do something else. Also, if I really like a book, I study it to figure out what makes it good. (Thereby hoping to become a better writer myself.)

If a book doesn't promise to be worth reading more than once, I won't buy it. I might borrow it, or sit and skim it on the spot, but I won't pay money for it.

At risk of getting off topic...It seems strange to me that so many people do not read books more than once, yet most people will listen to the same song or album more than once, or look at the same painting many times. I wonder why.

Arrow

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

"I am made of the dust of the stars and the ocean flows in my veins"   (Neil Peart 1989)
Arrow
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:November 26, 2009, 07:38:44 pm

Religion: eclectic shamanic animism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: June 10, 2007, 01:01:03 am »

Are there books that you love to read again and again?

There are too many to list.
Lord of the Rings, the Narnia books, several Louis L'Amour novels (many of his books are rich in history and philosophy)

Arrow

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

"I am made of the dust of the stars and the ocean flows in my veins"   (Neil Peart 1989)
Caroline
Master Member
Last Login:October 07, 2011, 11:24:24 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: June 10, 2007, 01:25:52 am »

"Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again."

Definitely a fav.

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #26: June 10, 2007, 01:33:43 am »

At risk of getting off topic...It seems strange to me that so many people do not read books more than once, yet most people will listen to the same song or album more than once, or look at the same painting many times. I wonder why.

I don't think it's off topic, but then again someone might...

It may have something to do with the fact that reading a book does take up a lot of time.  Looking at a painting takes up anywhere between a few seconds to a minute to look at and music can be listened to while doing something else.  Some have the thinking that there are so many books to read and not very much time to read them.  As I said before, I rarely read the same book twice, but when it gets to the point where I can't afford new books than I will re-read some old favorites.  But at the moment, I have enough books on my "to read" pile to last me until spring at the latest and I don't know what my financial situation would be then.  So I may start re-reading them then or get a library card (doubtful because I always forget to turn in the books when they're due Embarrassed)

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Elspeth Sapphire
Co-Host
Senior Staff
Journeyman
Last Login:July 16, 2008, 10:44:04 pm

Religion: Pagan

Passed Over -- 19 April 2010

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #27: June 11, 2007, 10:07:44 am »

My daughter used to roll her eyes when she would catch me reading the Little House books or the ones about the all of a kind family.  "Circus Shoes" ... hmmm, I haven't read or "Ballet Shoes" for ages.

Elspeth Sapphire
Mari
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: June 11, 2007, 01:05:53 pm »

"Circus Shoes" ... hmmm, I haven't read or "Ballet Shoes" for ages.

I used to have the entire "Shoes" set. I need to get it back.
MelanieS
Journeyman
Last Login:November 18, 2009, 08:17:30 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: June 11, 2007, 06:34:37 pm »

I have two books that I always reread once a year. Those are Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird and John Steinbeck's Cannery Row (which is my absolute favorite book). I also reread Rebecca (Du Maurier), Great Expectations and A Tale of Two Cities (Dickens) and then quite a few Agatha Christie novels from time to time. I also read Ghost Story by Peter Straub every couple of years and I would have forgotten to include it had my child not eaten the cover just yesterday. 

I'm partial to my favorite children's books and will read a Nancy Drew mystery or Judy Blume book one evening if I stumble across one. Then I also really like short stories - I have a huge book of ghost stories whose pages are swollen and ruffled from being dropped in the tub too many times. That gets read over and over again.

Melanie

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)