The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 02, 2020, 12:11:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2020, 12:11:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What do you read over and over?  (Read 18271 times)
Annan
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 19, 2011, 08:53:09 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

Reaping Souls for the Dark God

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: June 11, 2007, 09:44:23 pm »

Are there books that you love to read again and again? Ones that you will pick up after a few years and rediscover a great story?

It is extremely rare for me to read a book more than once, unless I am using it for reference and then it would only be till I find the information I am looking for.  Most every book I own has dog-earred pages, yellow highlights and pencil scriblblings in it. 

Practical Solitary Magic by Nancy B. Watson, the works of Daniel Quinn, and the works of Ann Moura are the only books I have picked up again over the past year or so, and that was to get back in touch with a concept or two.

Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.  ~ Norman Cousins

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: June 15, 2007, 12:54:53 pm »

It may have something to do with the fact that reading a book does take up a lot of time. [snip] Some have the thinking that there are so many books to read and not very much time to read them.

It does for me.  I don't generally re-read anything for that very reason, unless I just love it too much not to.  In fact, the only thing I re-read on a regular basis is the Harry Potter series (and a few fanfics).  In fact, I'm getting a little OCD w/that...  Cheesy

Although, there are several Heinlein books I would re-read if I owned them (it's a little early in the year to be making plans for my next tax refund, but it seems I just did  Grin ).

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams
Adele
Master Member
Last Login:July 09, 2011, 07:27:54 pm

Religion: Hellenic pagan

Image courtesy of iconomicon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #32: June 17, 2007, 06:07:16 pm »

I guess I'm weird, but there are literally hundreds of books I read over and over. Not sure what it is about me, but it's more likely a book will end up in my "read again" pile rather than not. Maybe I'm not picky? I dunno. And it seems to cross over all genres so I can't even say I'm limited there.

I'd have to brush off a spot to sit on that bench.  I re-read like crazy because my funds in no way keep up with my reading. 

But for specifics?  Things I have read more times than I care to recall...

The Hobbit (my very first book I bought all by myself  Cheesy ) and the LOTR

Mary Russell and the Sherlock Holmes Canon

The Secret Garden (my favorite "gift" book from my older sister)

Stephen King's works

There are tons of books I reread when I'm needing to meet a particular urge in a genre if I can't find anything new.  *sigh* I have a room in my house just for books.  There are so many.  Embarrassed

"Say what you mean. Bear witness. Iterate."
       -John M. Ford, Making Light comment
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #33: June 18, 2007, 10:25:59 am »

Are there books that you love to read again and again? Ones that you will pick up after a few years and rediscover a great story?

Freedom's Landing by Anne McCaffery I continue to love to this day. I'm mostly over her books (Acorna finished it for me), and I won't read the rest of the Freedom series any more than the once I have, but my copy of Freedom's Landing is much loved and dog-eared.

As well, by Anne Bishop: The Tir Alainn Trilogy and The Black Jewels Trilogy, as well as The Invisible Ring and Dreams Made Flesh. And whenever she finishes her Ephemera series I'm sure I'll reread that quite a bit as well.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #34: June 18, 2007, 12:39:15 pm »

Stephen King's works

I'm reading Blaze right now, and enjoying it.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #35: June 18, 2007, 04:32:45 pm »

I guess I'm weird, but there are literally hundreds of books I read over and over. Not sure what it is about me, but it's more likely a book will end up in my "read again" pile rather than not. Maybe I'm not picky? I dunno. And it seems to cross over all genres so I can't even say I'm limited there.

I'm joining that already crowded bench.  Smiley

If I own a book, it's almost a guarantee that I've read it at least 3 times.  Some that I revisit more often (have read at least 10 times each)... Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, The Hobbit and LOTR trilogy, Good Omens by Gaiman & Prachett, Rebecca from du Maurier,  The Songcatcher by Sharyn McCrumb, and Poetry & Prose by Robert Frost.

Aasha
Journeyman
Last Login:October 26, 2009, 02:14:45 pm

Religion: Canaanite Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: June 18, 2007, 10:35:40 pm »

Are there books that you love to read again and again?

There's only one book I read over and over: The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster.  I'm not even sure why I do.  I liked it when I was little and I guess its a tradition now  Smiley.
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #37: June 18, 2007, 11:20:46 pm »

There's only one book I read over and over: The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster.  I'm not even sure why I do.  I liked it when I was little and I guess its a tradition now  Smiley.

I used to read it over and over too! Hardly anyone I know remembers it, or has even read it.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
MelanieS
Journeyman
Last Login:November 18, 2009, 08:17:30 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #38: June 19, 2007, 03:26:54 pm »

I had completely forgotten about that book. I loved it when I was young - there was something about it that made me feel simultaneously exhilarated and slightly nauseated. I know that probably makes no sense. I'm going to have to get another copy and read it again. Thank you for reminding me  Smiley

Melanie
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #39: June 21, 2007, 01:27:39 pm »

Well, it's not exactly a book, it's a short story. The Turn of the Screw by Henry James.

The first time I read it I was in my teens and I was sure the nanny was nuts. An insane nanny seemed to me more frightening than ghosts.

I re-read it in my 20's and for reasons I can't recall, thought that the ghosts were meant to be real after all.

Then another 10 years later I read it yet again along with other of James' short stories and thought that the ghosts were actually meant to represent the repressive and spirit crushing Victorian attitudes of his times.

No matter what, it is still one of the sacariest stories I have ever read. It isn't easy to make a ghost appearing in a bright sunlit garden ominous, but he managed to do it. Now, I want to go and read it again!

A great piece of literature.

Elspeth Sapphire
Co-Host
Senior Staff
Journeyman
Last Login:July 16, 2008, 10:44:04 pm

Religion: Pagan

Passed Over -- 19 April 2010

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #40: June 22, 2007, 01:55:30 am »

A favorite of mine

i need to dig it out and read it again

Elspeth Sapphire
Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #41: June 25, 2007, 12:34:44 am »

Right now, the books I read over and over are The Secret Garden, the HP series and a few others I can't bring to mind right now as I've not seen em around the house for a while.

Like others here, I, too, need a whole room for books.  I can only hope my son has inherited Mommy's love for books.  Cheesy

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #42: July 11, 2007, 05:25:54 pm »

Time to partially take back what I said.  I just found my old copy of The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells.  I remember that I loved it when I first read it when I was about ten or eleven and I read it many times after.  I think I'll reread it after I read some books on my "to read" pile that I want to read first.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Áine
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 pm

Religion: Random Witchcraft
TCN ID: anya

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #43: November 02, 2007, 06:56:39 pm »

How about you?

Sasha

Other Girls by Diane Ayers, A Woman of Substance by Barbara Taylor Bradford, and Pandora by Anne Rice

*Síocháin*
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #44: November 03, 2007, 08:35:30 pm »

Freedom's Landing by Anne McCaffery I continue to love to this day. I'm mostly over her books (Acorna finished it for me), and I won't read the rest of the Freedom series any more than the once I have, but my copy of Freedom's Landing is much loved and dog-eared.

As well, by Anne Bishop: The Tir Alainn Trilogy and The Black Jewels Trilogy, as well as The Invisible Ring and Dreams Made Flesh. And whenever she finishes her Ephemera series I'm sure I'll reread that quite a bit as well.

To add to my list: I just finished The Count of Monte Cristo and I will be rereading that one, no doubt.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)