The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 28, 2020, 04:46:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 28, 2020, 04:46:29 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What do you read over and over?  (Read 26616 times)
Violet
Journeyman
Last Login:December 07, 2009, 12:44:07 am
Australia Australia

Religion: ...Who Knows

If you wait, I'll give all my aches to you...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #45: December 30, 2007, 01:21:42 pm »

Are there books that you love to read again and again? Ones that you will pick up after a few years and rediscover a great story?

Catch 22 ive probably read half a dozen times and it still entertains me.. I do the same with The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy i like being able to open it up at random and read from there..

Im now reading Power of the Dog by Don Winslow for the third time because its great inspiration for my latest writing mis-adventure and its still a good read. Bit grizzly though..

Let us go then, you and I
When the evening is spread out against the sky,
Like a patient etherized upon a table
- T.S. Elliot

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Figment99
Master Member
Last Login:September 30, 2011, 05:02:26 pm
United States United States

Religion: Pagan with Green and Kitchen Witch leanings

I'm trying to bloom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #46: January 04, 2008, 11:15:42 pm »

Are there books that you love to read again and again? Ones that you will pick up after a few years and rediscover a great story?

For me, I have two books that I reread every so often. They are Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier and Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.

How about you?

Sasha

There are several sets I read over and over. I have read the Harry Potter series so many times I have lost count. At the moment I am rereading the Lord of the Rings series, which I have read in a several years and really enjoying it. I also have read several Anne Rice books over and over, I just love her attention to detail.

True Greatness Shows Great Kindness

A Pagan Egroup -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheInnerSanctuary/ <-Feel free to join
Hiketes
Apprentice
Last Login:April 20, 2008, 02:33:39 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hellenismos

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #47: January 14, 2008, 01:46:24 pm »

For me, I have two books that I reread every so often. They are Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier and Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.

How about you?

Sasha

For me the book I re read a lot is the original Dune, I seem to get something new out of it each time.

“Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever.”

Aristophanes
ladywhitewolf
Journeyman
Last Login:September 23, 2012, 12:21:57 am

Religion: polytheist pagan with leanings towards Shamanism/animism

Whitewolf

Blog entries (0)

White_Wolf1 Lady Whitewolf

Ignore
« Reply #48: January 23, 2008, 07:06:25 pm »

Usually I end up reading books by Stephen King over and over again.

Jessica [aka Whitewolf]
WickedWit
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 15, 2013, 10:05:25 pm

Religion: Hellenic Neo-Pagan & UU

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #49: January 24, 2008, 09:58:10 pm »

I'm sure there are others, but off the top of my head I read A Brave New World on average once a year.  Stranger in a Strange Land gets read every 3 or 4 years.

WickedWit

"He who cannot draw on three thousand years is living from hand to mouth." - Goethe
WickedWit
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 15, 2013, 10:05:25 pm

Religion: Hellenic Neo-Pagan & UU

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #50: January 24, 2008, 10:03:09 pm »

There's only one book I read over and over: The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster.  I'm not even sure why I do.  I liked it when I was little and I guess its a tradition now  Smiley.

That was my favorite book growing up. I wish I still had a copy.

WickedWit

"He who cannot draw on three thousand years is living from hand to mouth." - Goethe
Vale
Master Member
Last Login:July 07, 2011, 02:45:49 pm

Cymru am byth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #51: January 26, 2008, 08:08:16 pm »

And various children's comfort reading - Noel Streatfield, Enid Blyton, the Chalet School Books, L.M. Montgomery, etc. (The middle two may not be so familiar to US folks: they're UK authors, and my father would always bring me back a couple more titles whenever he came back from visiting, which he did once or twice a year.)

Oh thank goodness - I thought it was just me! When really stressed I revert to the old children's favourites but in my case it's Arthur Ransome and the Swallows and Amazons series.

Roedd y cwbl yn freuddwyd gwrach wrth ei hewyllys

Pagan Wanderings
MissShannon
Apprentice
Last Login:April 16, 2010, 03:17:32 am

Religion: searching for the right path

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #52: February 01, 2010, 04:53:16 pm »

I guess I'm weird, but there are literally hundreds of books I read over and over. Not sure what it is about me, but it's more likely a book will end up in my "read again" pile rather than not. Maybe I'm not picky? I dunno. And it seems to cross over all genres so I can't even say I'm limited there.
*sits at the base of this overcrowded bench*

I read so fast that I normally re-read anything I purchase.  But there are several that I love and re-read quite often.  LoTR, Midsummer Night's dream, HP series, some of King's, Anne Rice are a few that come to mind.  Oh and if a new book in a series i like is coming out, I normally read all the books up to the new one before I buy it.  My books would over run our house, but due to space constraints I've been doing the ebooks for a while now (can't wait to get my nook later this month).  Only my very favorites now get shelf space!

My hubby reads, albeit more sci-fi/fantasy than I do.  He loves the amber series, Heinlein.  My son has also inheirited the addiction.  But i'm the worst of the 3.  Wink

This list has had the added benefit of encouraging me to pull out some of the ones mentioned that I hadn't read in a while.
-Gwenhwyfar-
Apprentice
Last Login:May 05, 2010, 06:35:38 pm

Religion: good question

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #53: February 10, 2010, 06:19:25 am »

Jack Kerouac's On The Road.  Almost a cliche but such an awesome book.
Ashera
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 21, 2010, 11:55:02 am

Religion: Pagan... ish.

What do you mean Halloween's only 1 day a year?!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #54: March 03, 2010, 10:39:37 am »

Lord of the Rings by Tolkein, any of the last 3 Harry Potter books (yes, I really liked the books and went to nearly all the release parties in my Slytherin scarf Cheesy) and the entire Chronicles of Narnia. I grew up with all of them and they remain, to this day, my "comfort-book-food". Grin
Monica M.
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2011, 01:59:15 am
Australia Australia

Religion: trying to figure it out

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #55: March 03, 2010, 11:13:10 pm »

Sasha

Everything. Especially children's books, both old and new and anything long. It helps that I don't remember anything the first time I read it but I love rereading anything I liked the first time.
StarlightSerenity
Senior Newbie
Last Login:February 24, 2011, 10:30:51 pm

Religion: Witchcraft

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #56: February 20, 2011, 08:15:43 pm »

There are a number of series that I love and I tend to re-read the entire series before getting the newly published one. I only do this when I've read at least 3 or 4 books of the series before getting the latest one or if I havent read the first few for a couple of years.

No idea if that makes any sense whatsoever Huh
Wood Rose
Apprentice
Last Login:June 09, 2011, 12:19:33 am

Religion: Seeking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #57: February 20, 2011, 09:33:13 pm »

Are there books that you love to read again and again?

Yes, lots.
Tolkin, of course.  The Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper love her books, they did a bad job trying to make the first one into a movie. The color (Blue, Red, Green ect.) Fairy Books edited by Andrew Lang, the stories in there are amazing.

The Caverns of Socrates by Dennis l. McKiernan I love the premise of this book the bit of si-fi in with the fantasy of a roll playing game.

The Hounds of the Morrigan by Pat O'Shea I read this book when I was about ten. It took me almost 25 years to find a copy to buy. I love the mythology in this book, the way it flows and the slightly spookie bent to it. It is listed as a childrens book, but I still love it. Every page of it.

The Connor Hawthorne mystery series by Lauren Maddison. I really don't know what to say about them, they are involve a bit of the other in them.

The Stoner McTavish mystery series by Sarah Dreher, I love the characters in here, and the settings.
Carnelian
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2012, 12:55:04 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Greek paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #58: February 20, 2011, 11:00:34 pm »

How about you?

Sasha

I've read The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley four times so far, which is very typically pagan of me. I've read most of the Harry potter books twice, as well as Wicked by Gregory Maguire.
Gillyflower
Journeyman
Last Login:February 19, 2017, 02:49:46 pm

Religion: Dark Paganism

I do what my M&Ms tell me to.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #59: February 24, 2011, 10:13:22 am »

Do comic books count? My Books of Magic and Sandman books (both based on Neil Gaiman's stories) are getting seriously dog-eared. I love reading serious books, but I haven't found any that I'd want to return to yet.

~Know this, and let it somewhat raise your spite,
Through darkness diamonds spread their richest light.~

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)